Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tint my windows but am wary of the different shops. I want one that not only stands behind their work but does a top notch job. Any recommendations welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
'95 Fleetwood Brougham and '14 ELR
212 Posts
Some years ago, I used LA Tint in Manassas to do my Impala SS. I they warranted it forever and I included a "no fault" clause so even if I scratched it they'd replace. In the almost 10 years I had that car, the tint never needed replacing and it was very well installed.

I no longer live close enough to have them do my tint work so I can't say how good they are now.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
Nearly every tint shop that uses a nationally recognized top-of-the-line tint like Llumar AND offers a lifetime guarantee (which they should) should be no problem. Anymore, tint is either done right or it isn't. Also, the national chains like Ziebart and Rhino do outstanding work as well.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
502 Posts
LA Tint
502 Shaw Rd #102
Sterling, VA 20167
(703) 467-8295
Formula One Performance Automotive Film
Lifetime Warranty

I had them install the ceramic on my 2006 C6 Corvette. They came highly recommended and they did an excellent job. They also have shops in Manassas, Alexandria, and Woodbridge. I used the Sterling shop becuase the owner had the best experience in the C6 body style installation. Compared to a Corvette, the 2nd generation CTS is relatively easy. But again, the installer is a big part of the overall quality of product.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Why not check with your dealer or any local dealer. I'm sure they use reputable shops or they would have to handle the comeback headaches.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I'm going to ask both the dealer and talk to LA Tint. Just out of curiosity, I know the VA law says no more than 50% tint but is it an issue to go higher? I'm not saying I'll go higher, just curious. I'd like to see what a 50% tint looks like.

·
Registered
'95 Fleetwood Brougham and '14 ELR
212 Posts
VA law is 50% on the front doors and 35% on the windows rearward of the front doors.

I did 35% all the way around (except windshield) on my CTS and haven't gotten hassled about it.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to ask both the dealer and talk to LA Tint. Just out of curiosity, I know the VA law says no more than 50% tint but is it an issue to go higher? I'm not saying I'll go higher, just curious. I'd like to see what a 50% tint looks like.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
502 Posts
I did 35% all the way around on the Vette and did the same thing on the CTS. Never got stopped with the Vette in VA while I was stationed there. The shops will tell you the same thing. You're pretty safe with the 32% and the 35%. Ceramic will allow for more visibility and refract more UV and heat. Judge for yourself when you get there and they will explain everything to you. I think you'll like how it looks on the car too.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I researched this issue a little this morning as I was tempted by the tint discussion. Unfortunately PA requires 70% light transmission which is exactly how our CTS comes from the factory.

I suppose the good news is that even though it may not be noticable, the tinting GM uses on the CTS is already better than many other cars.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
also depends on who you take the car too for the annual state safety inspections.......a real inspection will include a light transfer reading if they note the car is tinted.......most in my experience dont check it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts