Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 escalade has had "service stability system" issues for a long while. It's been fixed before but it seems to always return. What fixes have been previously done, I'm not sure. On the latest go around, after months of the pump cycling for the first minute or two of driving, I started to have an abs issue at low speeds where the abs would engage and the truck would not stop until I pumped the brakes. After some research I found that it's a knock GM truck issue and usually caused by rust buildup under the wheel speed sensors.

Had the sensors checked and apparently no rust, but one of my wheel bearings apparently needed replacing, and the mechanic thought this would fix the problem. Got the truck back yesterday, and the issue was better, but not 100%. At low speeds I still feel some resistance in the break, the same vibrating/air pressure feeling as before, but less, and now I can still press the brake down and stop the car.

Took the truck back. The other front bearing wasn't looking great either he said, and could need replacing also. He said he could try that and if it didn't work he'd take the part back. Ugh, fine, try it. Got the truck back today, and said he instead looked into the service stability system light as it seems to be throwing him off being able to diagnose the problem. Said he went through some procedure to bleed air or something, though he did not replace the MPA switch which I know is a known fix in some cases(he also didn't seem to think replacing only the switch was possible, and that the whole system would have needed replacing. incorrect, right?). Anyway, he thought that mostly solved the problem, but I'm still getting that light resistance in certain stopping situations. I've read lots about people having the more serious problem which I was initially having, but not this lesser version. Is it a sensor issue? Bearing? Could the SSS have anything to do with this?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any suggestions you guys can provide!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The message means the system has found a problem and has set a trouble code

The only way to find those codes is with a tech-2 or compatible scanner

If the shop has a scanner like above then they can check it
I suggest finding a gm dealer that you can trust to check it out before dropping anymore money into it

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think he pulled C0285 and C0269

A couple months ago I checked, and it pulled those + C0286 + C0211 + C0237. I cleared them and these haven't come back, but the other two above have.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Reg23 said:
Well I think he pulled C0285 and C0269 A couple months ago I checked, and it pulled those + C0286 + C0211 + C0237. I cleared them and these haven't come back, but the other two above have.
C0286 is abs indicator lamp curcuit shorted to B+
C0269 is excessive dump/isolation time
C0211 is not in my gm code list
C0221 is in the list and is RF wheel speed sensor curcuit open
C0237 is rear wheel speed erratic

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the info but can anyone tell me if the symptoms are most likely caused by a bearing issue vs. the ebcm or mpa? The problem seems like it's reverting back to stopping me from braking at times, as opposed to letting me push the brake through the slight pressure. Happens occasionally depending on speed and how hard I push on the brake

Also, the service stability system cycle that would normally take place when starting the car and beginning to drive has changed. Now instead of 5 or however many cycles lasting 5+ seconds each, there is a brief, short pump activation that lasts barely a second before the light comes on.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would want to pull the codes before going further

See if a wheel sensor is bad it would give a erratic reading to the Ebcm and when you hit the brakes it can cause said issue
Now it's seeing a bad sensor and is throwing a code as it uses the wheel speed sensors to determine which wheel is spinning in order to apply the brakes to that wheel in order to stop wheel spin
If it doesn't get a good signal from the sensor it won't know how much to apply the brake(s) to the wheel(s) when needed

----------

Same principal applies when braking except it detects wheel lock up and will buck the pedal as your applying the brakes

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the follow-up caddy man

Since the problem improved a bit when replacing the right side bearing and because I wasn't able to find anything about the SSS causing any issues like this, and reading a few things about other SUVs having the issue that typically is caused by the speed sensors or the bearing, I decided to have the left bearing replaced. I haven't driven the truck very much since picking it up yesterday but I *think* it is fixed. Praying it is fixed. The annoying but relatively unobtrusive SSS still pops up but I was never concerned about that.

So for anyone else having the issue, seems like it's a wheel bearing issue. 160k miles, I guess it could have been worse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts