Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought an 2006 STS-V from a guy in Fenton, Michigan that had a sick LC3 under the hood. This guy.....let's call him Mr. Sh!tbag.......knew it was sick because Livernois Motorsport told him it was sick after a dyno checkup. They offered to investigate the problem but Mr. Sh!tbag decided to put it on Craigslist and instead and dump it on.......well me.

This was a D3 Stage 2 that seemed to be missing 100 RWHP but taking it f/ for a drive still had plenty of go to still impress a potential buyer. The beauty of this scam was you had to put it on a dyno to detect the problem. Mr. SB told me he never had it on a dynometer. But Mr. SB messed up when he left the Livernoise receipt in the glovebox that I discovered a few days later.

When I called Livernoise to get dyno info on "my" car I pretended to be Mr. SB but when they discovered I was a new owner they shutdown all communication w/ me. Problem was it was too late......the guy on the phone remembered the car and gave me the bad RWHP numbers. Livernoise proceeded to tell me "it sucks to be you" but they would release no further info on the dyno pulls they did f/ for Mr. SB because it was confidential information. Anyone else heard of a similar situation?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Damn, that's never happened to me but that's terrible! Do you know what the problem is?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
You're out of luck. The private business has no obligation to release a previous owner's information, the car is way out of GM warranty (which would have been voided anyway) and a private vehicle seller has no obligation to provide a "warranty", either written or implied.

I'm not sure that, instead of pretending to be the original owner, you could have gotten what little info you did receive. When the business realized that you misrepresented yourself it was wise on their part to cease conversation.

IF the car is/was subject to federal emissions controls and if it will not now pass an emissions test due to the "tune", then selling it may have been fraudulent on the part of the seller.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: It appears, from Post #4, the company in question is a somewhat shady operation. Producing a captive audience is pretty scummy. If you avail yourself of their "product" do they ask you so sign an exclusive rights statement to further work by them ?

EDIT: Livernois is no small shadetree outfit .............. https://www.google.com/search?q=livernois+motorsports&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
'06 D3 STS-V and '05 CTS-V
107 Posts
Yes[,] I figured out the issue but am keeping that close to my vest until my lawyer's work is complete.

It gets worse[. N]ot only does Livernois Motorsports have a company policy that protects sh!tbag car owners who dump bad cars on on ebay or Craigslist but they also have a policy of puting a software "lock" on any car they tune which prevents you from going elsewhere to get dyno work done.

Despite the fact they know I'm in a very bad situation they will not let me get my car worked on (tuned) where I live.

I live 250 miles from Livernois Motorsports.

----------

You're out of luck. The private business has no obligation to release a previous owner's information, the car is way out of GM warranty (which would have been voided anyway) and a private seller has no obligation to provide a "warranty", either written or implied.

I'm not sure that, instead of pretending to be the original owner, you could have gotten what little info you did receive. When the business realized that you misrepresented yourself it was wise on their part to cease conversation.

IF the car is/was subject to federal emissions controls and if it will not now pass an emissions test due to the "tune", then selling it may have been fraudulent on the part of the seller.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: It appears, from Post #4, the company in question is a somewhat shady operation. Producing a captive audience is pretty scummy. If you avail yourself of their "product" do they ask you so sign an exclusive rights statement to further work by them ?
----------

When I first called I had no idea I had just bought a sick STS-V. As a matter of fact I was calling [for] the dyno RWHP because I was certain I would be given a BIG number more in line w/ D3 claims. I simply said "I have a receipt here w/ a work order number... can you pull up the dyno pull numbers"?

Pretending may not have been the correct word to use. I had the receipt w/ the work order number in the upper right hand corner from I car I owned, they asked [for] it and I and gave them what they wanted. Livernois never asked "hey, before we talk.....is this your reciept?". I certainly had no obligation "written or implied" to tell Livernois I had a receipt I found in my glovebox of a car I just purchased.

When they gave me this sick RWHP value I was certain they must be mistaken and told them so. Then the guy on the other end reminded me "I" was told all this when the work was done in 2013. I said "wait a minute I'm was the new owner". I never imagined they would shut down the conversation at that point.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
No surprise here. Livernois has the right to lock down that information, and in fact it is a good idea to stay out of this battle so they do not share in any responsibility or blame.
Modified used cars are scary. I would never buy something modified, because I could be "tricked" or "ignorant", just like you were.
I hope this turns out as good as it possibly can for you...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
Thanks for the observation. Multiple usernames are not allowed by CF Rules and Guidelines.

BYEBYEAMG
has been deleted from the database and the few posts remain as "Guest". PapaV, the original username with 82 posts, remains.

----------

Using 2 different user names?

I do like your name for the seller. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the observation. Multiple usernames are not allowed by CF Rules and Guidelines.

BYEBYEAMG
has been deleted from the database and the few posts remain as "Guest". PapaV, the original username with 82 posts, remains.
A while back I logged on as PapaV but it said it didn't recognize my email address. I tried several times to log on w/ the same result. So I gave up and registered again but it wouldn't let me use Papa V[,] it kept telling the name was already in use. So I just started over w/ a new name. I just noticed that I would sign in as BYEBYEAMG but when I would relpy PapaV came up again. I like PapaV better anyway.

No surprise here. Livernois has the right to lock down that information, and in fact it is a good idea to stay out of this battle so they do not share in any responsibility or blame.
Modified used cars are scary. I would never buy something modified, because I could be "tricked" or "ignorant", just like you were.
I hope this turns out as good as it possibly can for you...
I'm well aware of who Livernois is and I know [for] a fact they were not happy about being put in the situation they were put in by Mr. Sh!tbag from Fenton, MI. It turns out the problem w/ the car was the cats were both clogged up from years of running way too rich. On a hunch I pulled out the O2 sensors and could immediatley feel a difference in the seat of the pants when I took off briskly. When i finally had them pulled from the car you could see no daylight thru them. It was a wonder the car ran at all.

BTY...my lawyer in Michigan does not share the opinions of expressed here. Livernois type business policies have been beat in Michigan courts before[,] especially the tune lock policy. The problem [for] me is[,] is it even worth my time anymore.

·
Registered
stsv
491 Posts
Not sure if d3 has the parts to even gain 100whp. Had many issued with livernois. Just go else where. Once they wreck your shit they say o well. The clowns that sell you parts are just that clowns. The guy who runs the front office talked my brother into extended pushrods after they sold him on a head job on his g8. He said wouldnt that be bad to mill the heads then use those... He said nope we know how to build 6.0s. He picked up his car and was told the metal rattling noise was normal LS noisy drivetrain. After 7000$ in upgrades the motor made it 500miles. He brought it to them 3 times during that time frame and Livernois said **** you not our issue. **** that place I would never recommend anyone to bring anything to them. They are the new D3... We expanded out facilities so **** off haha

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I don't see how any company can legally lock up your car so that you cannot take it anyplace else to work on it, that will run afoul of federal laws I believe.
Protect their Tune data sure, but they cannot legally make it impossible for another company to run make a tune for the car?...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure if d3 has the parts to even gain 100whp. Had many issued with livernois. Just go else where. Once they wreck your shit they say o well. The clowns that sell you parts are just that clowns. The guy who runs the front office talked my brother into extended pushrods after they sold him on a head job on his g8. He said wouldnt that be bad to mill the heads then use those... He said nope we know how to build 6.0s. He picked up his car and was told the metal rattling noise was normal LS noisy drivetrain. After 7000$ in upgrades the motor made it 500miles. He brought it to them 3 times during that time frame and Livernois said **** you not our issue. **** that place I would never recommend anyone to bring anything to them. They are the new D3... We expanded out facilities so **** off haha
Lucky me...............D3 car AND a Livernois tune.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't see how any company can legally lock up your car so that you cannot take it anyplace else to work on it, that will run afoul of federal laws I believe.
Protect their Tune data sure, but they cannot legally make it impossible for another company to run make a tune for the car?...
I find it unfathomable also[.] I never agreed [for] Livernois to put a lock on my car's software[,] so how can they get away w/ it? It's my car now[,] not Mr. Sh!tbag's. My lawyer in MI has beat this law on other consumer products...especially the tune lock B-sh!t.

Livernois offered [for[]me to drive to Dearborn Hts, MI where they would strip off there tune code and then I could push it to a local Caddy Dealership to pay [for] a stock software reboot. My car won't even start let alone run w/ the stock software. So I would be left w/ having to ship the car back to a tuner in Ohio and have him start from scratch.

Livernois was correct[,] it does suck to be me.

·
Registered
STS_V
277 Posts
They locked the tune on my V too. The engine light came on 1 week after they tuned my car and when I told them about it they said that I had to pay 300 to retune it and when I took it to the dealer to get it fixed they said that the computer was locked and they couldn't return it to stock. Give timmy or jesse @ wait4meperformance they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I find it unfathomable also.......................I never agreed f/ Livernois to put a lock on my car's software.....so how can they get away w/ it?
Livernois offered f/ me to drive to Dearborn Hts, MI where they would strip off there tune code and then I could push it to a local Caddy Dealership to pay f/a stock software reboot.

My car won't even start let alone run w/ the stock software.

So I would be left w/ having to ship the car back to a tuner in Ohio and have him start from scratch.

Livernois was correct...........it does suck to be me.
Maybe buy a HPTuner and talk to TImmyc or one of the other tuners here? Get a safe drivable tune based on your mods. Once they unlock it you flash it right there in their parking lot and drive away? HPTuners will be a good investment for you if you have mods..

·
Registered
107 Posts
So what's the actual issue here? Clogged cats?
That's what the problem turned out to be. I solved my problem by installing a set of your headers. Livernois never knew what the problem was just that the engine was underperforming.......BIG TIME.

----------

They locked the tune on my V too. The engine light came on 1 week after they tuned my car and when I told them about it they said that I had to pay 300 to retune it and when I took it to the dealer to get it fixed they said that the computer was locked and they couldn't return it to stock. Give timmy or jesse @ wait4meperformance they'll take care of you.
What can Wait4me do? They cannot bypass the tune lock.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
Not sure how HP Tuners works, but if you bought it, and got the tune from Timmy on your laptop, you could drive there, have Livernois unblock the tune, and remap it with Tim's in their parking lot. That should at least get you home.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts