Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've noticed that my '95 ETC premium stereo went much louder and sounded much better than the premium stereo in my '95 Fleetwood Brougham.. I've been considering upgrading and it sounds like a major pain in the ass - and I like the stock look. So, can I just swap? Can I buy a stock ETC or STS stereo and have it work? Details?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and by the way.. What is that "comp" feature on the deck? I notice that when I play a CD with this feature turned off, every time the music gets loud, it automatically lowers the volume. I hate that! So, I keep "comp" turned on and that does happen... What does "comp" stand for? And what does it do?

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Oh and by the way.. What is that "comp" feature on the deck? I notice that when I play a CD with this feature turned off, every time the music gets loud, it automatically lowers the volume. I hate that! So, I keep "comp" turned on and that does happen... What does "comp" stand for? And what does it do?
The "comp" can mean one of two things. It could mean compensation - in other words the system will adjust the volume to compensate for road noise based on vehicle speed. Or, it could mean compression - that would be when the loud parts are made quieter, and the quiet parts louder. I suspect you have the compression. It's done because CD's have a much larger dynamic range (they go from *very* quiet to *very* loud) than radio or casettes, so if you're in a car and you turn up the volume to hear the really quiet parts over the road noise, the loud parts will be *really* loud, which some people don't like, and which can overwhelm some sound systems. With compression, it's easier to find a volume level that makes the quiet parts audible and keeps the loud parts reasonable.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
It stands for "Compression". I recommend to leave it off it makes everything sound flat (compressed).

Also make sure your Automatic equilizer is properly set up the way you want. Your car should have the settings from A to E. I find that A and B sound the best of the factory presets.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Remember Sal, the PM I sent you about my interest if you do swap out the stereo and some other pieces ;) . I'm still interested, just let me know if...

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Also make sure your Automatic equilizer is properly set up the way you want. Your car should have the settings from A to E. I find that A and B sound the best of the factory presets.
I almost always have mine on B. I think I saw that some years you can adjust those presets. But not on mine :crying2:

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wont forget about you CaddyCruiser...

In regards to the EQ, yes, it can be programmed on mine.. I always keep "comp" turned ON because I can't stand how every time it gets loud, the system lowers it. I want to HEAR those loud parts the way they were meant to be heard - loud. Otherwise, it lowers so much there's just no feeling to it...

At any cost, I'm still wondering about the possibility of swapping in a stereo system from a 95 ETC or STS - or newer.. Is this possible? The stereo I had in my ETC was more then enough for me. If I can just swap it, I'll go ahead and do it...
Thanks...

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I'd say go aftermarket, and do the system right. MP3 Head unit with a cd changer, am/fm, forget cassette. Multi channel amp, equalizer, good tweeters and 6x9's, plus a pair of subs. None of this half ass system Sal. :)

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya - but - I need the cassette deck because I listen to a lot of audio books.. And, I need something that can just fit in and be ready.. I don't really have the extra cash for all the goodies I'd like to have - like MP3 capability, satellite radio, BIG bass/great amps...

I'm hoping to find the easiest, least expensive alternative for now.. If I could just fit-in a stock system from a newer Caddy, that would be really great. Like I mentioned, I was pretty damn pleased with what my '95 ETC had.. I'm guessing the '98 and up ETC and STS were even better...

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
If you're determined, I do have the stocker from my 97 Eldo. It's AM/FM Cassette, but no CD. It looks like it might be capable of controlling a GM CD player.

And Sal, $1500 can do a whole setup. Or $400 could get a cd/mp3 deck installed...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sal,
My best advice to you would be go out and buy new speakers ALL around. Spend ok money get them on sale or clearance DON"T pay full price for them. About the head unit look on ebay for an oem one that you like, keep the stock one (if you like the new speakers) or go shopping for a new headunit that is good in price. I like my music load but i can't see the point in dumping 1500+ into a stereo when i can dump 300 (100 per pair of speakers and 100 for headunit) Ill take the rest of the money i saved and put it into performance. Your not gonna get a thump like people like with subs amps all that jazz but you will notice a BIG difference between the stock and your "new" stereo. My old truck i put inifinity Kappa 6x9 (89 on sale). MB quart 6 1/2 in front (150 on line) and a pioneer headunit with cd (109 at best buy clearance) and it sounded great. Later down the road i bought an inexpensive amp for the front speakers and that made a world of diffence. Well i ihope the information i provided about my previous experience will help you out. Good luck and keep us updated

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. I definitely want an in-dash CD.. $1500.00 will be a little too much for me.. And I really want to keep a stock appearance inside the car. Is there an aftermarket stereo that I can buy that would fit right in and look good? I don't want something vertically skinnier than what I have now..

I like the Infiniti Kappa speakers.. I just wonder if the stereo I have can power them. Would I really notice a difference? I don't hear my stock speakers breaking-up or anything. It's just underpowered for my taste. I wish Cadillac wouldn't always make things so complicated...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sal,
When i put the aftermarket speakers in my car with the head unit i was really impressed with the volume you change and the clarity of the sound coming out. You said that you want a headunit that would fit right in your car. Your going to have to look for a double din headunit that would fit and that would take up all your space. The stock speakers in most cars are meant to be powered by that head unit and that head unit alone. They take little power to run and the headunit doesn't put out that much power either. When you upgrade everything with newer, better stuff the difference is huge.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/triple/column/0,,2076_4043,00.html
This is a link to the pioneer double din recievers that will take up the whole slot for your head unit. Pioneer's double dins are pricey but you can find another brand that will suit your needs and budget. (sorry i love pioneer headunits. easy to use and good quality)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_38138,00.html
that is the link to one of there lower models. that price is really high you can find it cheaper. and it wouldn't look bad in your car. When you upgrade the speakers you won't even see that so the only visual thing that you have to worry about is your headunit. My best advice is for a headunit is go shopping and find one that is appealing to the eye to you DON"T worry about the brand only price. You are going low end and all of the features on lower priced units are pretty much the same. You (or I) will never use half if not more of the features on even the low end headunits. If you don't believe me about the sound difference go to a store that has a display where you can hear the speakers. Select a head unit and speakers in your price range and go nuts with the volume.
That is my best advice to you.

Now granite i am by no means an expert when it comes to stereos and cars. but i know plenty of people who are and through there knowledge and my trail and ERROR I have found what I like for the money. You don't need to spend 1500 no matter what anyone says. Its a freakin car for god sakes spend the money on your home theatre system. Well hope this will help

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've actually spent big money on car audio before so I know about that kinda stuff. But, I don't really need that kind of sound and loud bass. I just want crisp, loud and whatever bass comes with great 6x9s..

It sounds like I should probably just go with one of those double-dins and get the car re-wired.. That may be the only way to get what I want.. Maybe a small amp on the 2 6x9's and let 50 watts go to each of the front 4 speakers...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
I've actually spent big money on car audio before so I know about that kinda stuff. But, I don't really need that kind of sound and loud bass. I just want crisp, loud and whatever bass comes with great 6x9s..

It sounds like I should probably just go with one of those double-dins and get the car re-wired.. That may be the only way to get what I want.. Maybe a small amp on the 2 6x9's and let 50 watts go to each of the front 4 speakers...
I agree with you on that one. Your best bet is to come up with the amount of money that you are going to spend and go from there.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My stereo is disgusting...

Okay. I started this as a new topic and just remembered this one - so I merged everything together. Here's my latest question:

I have a '95 Fleetwood Brougham - but I like very, very loud music. So I'm pretty-much out of luck with the stock setup. Is it Bose? I'm pretty sure it is because I believe I have the premium sound system. It doesn't say Bose anywhere on the deck.. Should it? I'd love to be able to simply replace the deck without having to mess with anything else. But with Bose, you have to remove the engine, transmission, all four doors and do 10 jumping jacks before you can change anything.

It would be really, really nice if I could do the deck one week; the speakers another week.. I wont hold my breath...

P.S. When I go to Crutchfield - they don't have a Brougham option for my year.. Figures...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts