Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering, i took my bent wheel to get fixed balanced all 4 tires and now my car vibrates a little more than before trying to fix my prior minor vibration problem.. They broke 1 lug nut in each front tire, so its running with 4 only on fronts. They are 19" on cts coupe 3.6, they also removed a half an inch spacer from the front from one side and not the other.. What could be causing my front vibration after 45 more less?? Thanks, im soo fustrated! I tried fixing my bent rim and all this stuff happened :/, it was better before... Any comments ideas?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
They broke 1 lug nut in each front tire, so its running with 4 only on fronts. They are 19" on cts coupe 3.6, they also removed a half an inch spacer from the front from one side and not the other.
Did they break the lug nuts, or did they break the wheel studs? How did they manage that? When are they replacing them (free of charge, of course)? Did they explain why they removed only one of the spacers?

What could be causing my front vibration after 45 more less??
Huh?

Any comments ideas?
After having this incompetent shop reimburse you for the cost of replacing the broken wheel studs, don't ever deal with them again.

Yes, the vibration could be due to the missing lug nuts, depending on how they torqued the wheels in place.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesi mean studs! Im assuming they are cheap and how hard are they to replace? Can a regular mechanic replace them? I also need to get the lug nuts right?

Guys blamed whoever put them on, put them wrongly so when they wanted to remove them they had to break them to get tire out :/, yeah its messed up!! I spent like 170 dollars getting bent rim fixed and balancing, and i ended up with more vibration in the front now :/. Rear vibration is gone thou, where the bent rim was. Is it really bad to have 1 spacer one side and no spacer other side?? Would that also cause vibration??

I have cts V rims i believe the 19" im sure the studs are easy to find right? And the lugs nuts also need to be replaced i assume..

Fml :/

·
Registered
2015 CTS
596 Posts
It's possible that the lug nuts were cross threaded when you took your car into the shop and it's might not be their fault. If they snapped coming off I would not blame them. If they snapped while they were installing them I wouldn't let them touch my car again.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
And did these morons properly torque your lug nuts to 140 ft./lbs.?

Whether or not the stud breakage was their fault, removing only one wheel spacer and not the other is unthinkable.

I wouldn't be going back to them after this is cleared up.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
I drove a couple of days before missing one lug nut and didn't experience any vibrations. Methnks the issue is that spacer.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im taking it to another shop right now, also to try get alignment i think im just gonna have the other spacer removed in the front, i hope the vibration stops! Im afraid they mess other ones up when removing the rims :/

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
Yesi mean studs! Im assuming they are cheap and how hard are they to replace? Can a regular mechanic replace them? I also need to get the lug nuts right?
Presumably the broken part of the stud is still in the old lug nuts, so yes, you'll need new lug nuts. There are plenty of options for that, so that's not a big deal. The wheel studs are not that expensive, and can easily be replaced by any mechanic.

Guys blamed whoever put them on, put them wrongly so when they wanted to remove them they had to break them to get tire out, yeah its messed up!!
The vast majority of shops will put the wheels on using an impact wrench, which means they can very easily over-torque the fasteners and cause problems like this.

Is it really bad to have 1 spacer one side and no spacer other side?? Would that also cause vibration??
It's not the end of the world, but having assymmetric suspension geometry is certainly not going to help the car's handling. If the remaining 4 lug nuts were torqued in place properly the spacer should not cause any vibration.

And did these morons properly torque your lug nuts to 140 ft./lbs.?
You sure about that torque spec? I think you're thinking of the CTS-V with it's 14mm studs. The regular CTS has 12mm studs, and I'm betting the torque spec is 100ft-lb (as it was on the 1st gen cars).

Whether or not the stud breakage was their fault, removing only one wheel spacer and not the other is unthinkable.

I wouldn't be going back to them after this is cleared up.
Amen to both!

----------

Im taking it to another shop right now, also to try get alignment
If you're planning on replacing your struts/shocks, don't get an alignment now - you'll just have to pay for another alignment when the struts/shocks are replaced.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
Yeah, it is 140 pounds (page 11-2 of the '10 manual). Sounds crazy, I have never heard of this much torque on a car wheel until I got my standard 2010 CTS.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can this people know the tq? I see them use the same machine for all cars :s is it like universal? They just move it and start to remove and put on

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Maybe you should be taking your car to a Cadillac Dealer. They will remove most doubts about proper care and components for your car.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im just scared spending1k for small issues and car still not being fixed :/. I guess i will have to do if it keeps vibrating after replacing studs and lug nuts, and removing spacers, i dont feel alone in this forum ?.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soi just got out from the shop, lug nuts are back, so are studs!, car feels a little better no steering moving side to side anymore, still feels bumpy when after55mph, but a bent rim cant really be fixed i heard. The shop doesnt even have a machine to check it, they fix them by just calculating and measuring with measuring tape.. No balancer no nothing.. I might as well just buy 2 new wheels..

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
............The shop doesnt even have a machine to check it, they fix them by just calculating and measuring with measuring tape.. No balancer no nothing.. I might as well just buy 2 new wheels..
Why would you go to that shop? They are incompetent in every way!

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its the only place that fixes bent rims, charged $55 for both, but when getting wheels balanced it still looked a little crooked!, they said bent rims can never be perfect circle again.. So im thinking on just buying new ones? Any ideas? Its 2 rims its gonna be pricey a front and a rear

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
WTF? First you say
Soi just got out from the shop, lug nuts are back, so are studs!, car feels a little better no steering moving side to side anymore, still feels bumpy when after55mph, but a bent rim cant really be fixed i heard. The shop doesnt even have a machine to check it, they fix them by just calculating and measuring with measuring tape.. No balancer no nothing.. I might as well just buy 2 new wheels..
Less than an hour later you respond to "Why would you go to that shop? They are incompetent in every way!" saying

Its the only place that fixes bent rims, charged $55 for both, but when getting wheels balanced it still looked a little crooked!, they said bent rims can never be perfect circle again.. So im thinking on just buying new ones? Any ideas? Its 2 rims its gonna be pricey a front and a rear
Are you for real?

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Im way back at the beginning trying to understand how you got V rims on correctly. I didnt think the pattern was the same!

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased the car with V rims already... Aniways im ordering struts and shocks already, and oem Springs see if that helps, next step would be alignment. And if still issues i plan on mounting 4 tires and rims from another car just to check if it goes away with that.. And i went to another shop to get the stuff the first shop messed up, im never going back in there!!, im going to another shop which is waay more trusty. Does anyone suggest other things i can do??.. Im gonna have to dig to find where this comes from.. Kinda sucks i just got the car 3-4 weeks ago.. But well i only paid around 15k with cts V mods, like front bumper headlights, hood, rims, hid and led, even Emblems with the letterV, and bembo brakes pads lol, everyone thinks its a V :p

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Remove the fake V emblems.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,598 Posts
Im way back at the beginning trying to understand how you got V rims on correctly. I didnt think the pattern was the same!
Are those the type of spacers that allow you to change the bolt pattern? I had spacers on my VW, with the spacers I rode around on 5-bolt pattern Cragers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts