Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have moisture issues with my right headlight and would like to take the lens off to dry out the interior. Can the lens be removed?

Even if it's not made to be removed, if it could be removed nevertheless, I should be able to put it back on with silicon sealer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I believe that the capsules are vented. The second day after I first bought mine, both head light capsules condensed vapors into droplets, probably from a bad case of "lot-rot".

I thought of using a heat gun, which will probably work, but instead I thought I'd use the path of least resistance / easiest. I used my high beams to create heat as often as I could, even let it sit in the garage with the brights on for as long as they would stay on (I have HID which doesn't create hardly any heat) and in a couple of days all the moisture was gone with no sign that it was there! That was in November of last year. As of today there has been no sign of moisture in either capsule.

I think the slow and easy method is the way to go. If you use a heat gun it might have different results, I don't know. But the way I did it took only a couple of days and beat the crap out of taking the front end off, which is what you will have to do to get the capsules off.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
You may be able to bake the assembly in an oven and get the clear lens off but, it's not necessary to remove the moisture.

They Are vented, but often leak from the commonly failed seal.

There's been a Ton of posts on this, just take them off the car to dry them out (I used a heatgun or hairdrier) and once dry, reseal the lens to the body and it will cure the problem (I used a "thinned" silicone from Permetex called "Windshield Sealant")

To get "at" them you have to remove the Bumper Cover but, again, do a SEARCH for all the details ;)

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
182 Posts
I had to take mine apart because it had moisture spots all over on the inside. The side acces door's foam gasket was bad. I then set my oven to 300 and let it set in there for 10-15 minutes. Then you basically go around it prying it out of the black seal. Make sure not to damage or rip the seal. There is a thread on how to do this but I think its in the CTS forums?? Mine has been good ever since

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
182 Posts
Also you don't have to take the bumper cover off. Whatever side your doing just undo those bolts on that side then drop that side of the fascia down and rest it on something. This will give you access to the bolt on the bottom of the headlamp assy. If you damage the black seal don't worry I damaged parts of the seal and used a clear sealant. Just take your time
Good luck!

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to me to do just one side, this is a known flaw in the headlights of our cars.

Those foam gaskets are not the problem. The problem is the seal (black one) between the lens and the body and if you have the problem on one side, the others not far behind ;)

Do it right, do 'em both at the same time and save yourself the hassle of doing it again.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
182 Posts
How do you think its the black sealant? If that foam seal isn't seated right your definitely looking at moisture creating inside of the assembly. If you ever or have ever changed a bulb in the headlight assy. make sure the foam gasket is in good shape or discard and use a sealant. This is what I have done and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
01 catera, 08 sts
73 Posts
a simple way i got the moisture out of my headlights was to take off the side door on the headlight and drive the car around, took only a few hours of driving. didn't leave any water marks and didn't need to take off the headlights. just throwin that out there

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
When you do this project, throw some silica gel packets in there. Helps with future moisture problems. I did this in my car a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once the weather warms up I'll remove the headlight and take a good look at it. I'm thinking that I will have to remove the lens by baking because there is bound to be infiltration of water mixed with road salt. It looks to me like the lens is cloudy on the inside. I viewed a video on youtube and it stated to remove the bulbs.

My question is should I also remove the electronics under the side cover before baking?

I replaced the left headlight with a used one I bought off ebay for $150. It's not a problem but I will put some clear sealer around the lens anyway.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
Once the weather warms up I'll remove the headlight and take a good look at it. I'm thinking that I will have to remove the lens by baking because there is bound to be infiltration of water mixed with road salt. It looks to me like the lens is cloudy on the inside. I viewed a video on youtube and it stated to remove the bulbs.

My question is should I also remove the electronics under the side cover before baking?

I replaced the left headlight with a used one I bought off ebay for $150. It's not a problem but I will put some clear sealer around the lens anyway.
Yes.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
182 Posts
"When you do this project, throw some silica gel packets in there. Helps with future moisture problems. I did this in my car a few weeks ago"

Smart Idea!

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I bought a used right side headlight off of ebay for $140 in excellent condition. I believe it's a halogen light but I'll just switch the xenon light and electronics out of my existing light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts