Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, Light Tarnished Silver Outside, Gray with Black Inside
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Hi, so NEW HERE, And thank you to all and everyone, you guys are great, this place is the best, and way better then any caddy dealership, or mechanic ! I have been just stalking, Ha, reading and taking it all in to get my 06 in showroom shape and condition, but now I need your help . . . . Here goes,

RPO CODES,
FE2 Sport Susp.,
JE2 Brake Lining Performance Driving
JL9 Brakes 4-Wheel Antilock, 4-Wheel Disc
QWW Tires, P225/50R 17, W Rated
Y42 17” Sport Wheel Package

So, because there is much kahos and confusion on Performance, Sport, and Standard RPO’s who knows what you have, it’s all over the place, so I don’t want to part it, and piece it out, with a set of calipers that don’t fit the rotors and or vice a versa ?

Bought the car from a 90 year old lady, who is quite the pistol, who bought it new in 06, and it all checks out as original, also makes sense she would’ve got a Sport with drilled and slotted rotors ! To bad I’m 50 and she’s 90 ! Sorry got off track there ! Ha !

But, it’s still not all real cut and dry when trying to find a brake kit for this set up, I want to keep it with the drilled and slotted rotors, and with red calipers, and don’t won’t to tear it down til I get the right parts, by the way was looking a power stop performance kit, great full brake performance kit for the price, but seems
as if all are back ordered for calipers,
for a week or so ?

Been working on this, losing my mind for
2 weeks, so any comments, conclusion, criticism, info, or insights, would be taken
in, accepted and so very helpful ! Thank you all so much, you all really are the best, and you make everything and anything to do to on this car a breeze to do, by yourself at jobber pricing, with no labor costs, just blood, sweat tears, booze, and pills !
Ha ha ! Thanks again,
Later, peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry, for the dup., again new guy ! Still trying to get the hang of it, but didn’t know if the RPO helps ?
Also it does have17 inch sport stocks, Running 225/50R17, so then, if I do have JL9, would be interested if the JE5’s fit behind these wheels ?

Thanks in advance, and again !
Later, peace out, HOSE

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
735 Posts
Great score on this car! After you get past the "RPO deciphering" point it should be pretty easy to choose which parts to get.

At this point the description is a little unclear. You mentioned you want to "keep it with the drilled and slotted rotors, and with red calipers" and then you said it all checks out as original. Are you saying it already has drilled/slotted rotors and red calipers? If so I do not think these are original...AFAIK this setup was not offered on the CTS.

At this point it would be worth entering the VIN at one of the online GM stores (gmpartsgiant.com, gmpartsdirect.com, etc) and looking at the brake components available. This way you will be able to see what was original for your car and decide which parts will fit.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you, Ryan Y, and thanks for the info too !

As far as best mobiles I’ve had, mine were an 81 Fiat X19, and an 86 Audi 5000C3, and this CTS doesn’t even compare, it rides so smooth, is way better, is quicker, and so fast, I so, so, so love this car, and can’t go a day without driving it ! It is so slick, and quite the looker, for an 06, but then again it is a Cadillac !

Plus it only had 104,000 miles, very clean, well taken care of, and lifetime SiriusXM, He wanted $3200.00, and I got it $2500.00, couldn’t pass it up then ! !

And, you are correct and right on, It did come through with regular stock rotors, her son added the drilled and slotted, with ceramic pads, cause he didn’t like the way it stopped for her with the stock lining and rotors, but the calipers are still OEM, so I called him this A.M., to confirm, get the details, and to clear up any confusion, as to clarify your righteousness, and my assumptions ! So thank you again Ryan Y, you know your stuff !

I’m looking to do the total front brakes, cause starting to get a sticky caliper and figured might as well replace all of it, and or upgrade if and where possible, so in addition, already have new wheel hub assembly’s, and the brake ( HOSE )‘s, Ha Ha ! Was just waiting, and hoping on the brake direction, and suggestions, before ordering the brake kit !

I did repaint the rims argent silver & the calipers aluminum, but want to go the red, so, sorry about that one, I did overstep and miss spoke little on that one ! Ha ha ! And also replaced the center caps, along with modded the grilles !

Didn’t have heat on drivers side, just blew cold air in December, so back flushed, flushed and back flushed sing the heater core and rad with fresh all dexcool , and now like hot boxing with god, when running high heat, and got the AC as cool as the other side of the pillow when I want, so the climate control is tits now, replaced all interior lighting to LED’s, replaced all of the sunroof tubbing, was disconnected off sunroof tube at the pass side leaking down the pillar arm, so, while I had the headliner down just replaced and secured all new, and then the atf puressue hose went at the rad, replaced the rad and all new atf fluid and dex cool again, new lower control arms both sides, then new power steerIng pressure ( HOSE ), ha ha, another one, ha ha ! Andat the end of the day absolutely 100% would do it all over again, if I had to, worth every penny, drives like a dream, and looks even better ! I love this car as much as, gambling and partying !

Thanks again Ryan Y,
Later, peace out, HOSE !

F1DDD926-1E29-470F-BAD0-4D9C8207F26D.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right ! Starting to get better,
Only sent one dup, out of 4 !
Ha ! Later, peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
TA Coupe, thank you for the direction !

I was starting to work with that outfit and you are also right on the money ! They have no calipers, and said it could be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks til restock, all back ordered, and not like I know for sure, til I hear from others, as to if I should stay with the JL9 set up, or if the JE5 set up would and will fit behind my stock 17”s, but did check both kits, and of course they claim they have no calipers, all orders are back ordered, and are first come first served, so there’s that ! Ha !
But yeah TA, thanks so much, I like it, that’s the route I‘m going for sure, so, if and when they get them and I know which kit to get, I’ll order, they are dope, and look straight fire !

Thank You again, TA !
Later, peace out, HOSE !

Oh, and over three days did the whole headlight oxidation thing til I got them semi decent as to where are 69% decent for me, but still a work in progress !

Front driver 17” stock wheel

Rear passenger 17” stock wheel

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
735 Posts
Very nice! Hopefully the brake parts are available soon. Always frustrating when parts are not available.

Meanwhile, since you mentioned that you are relatively new to the CTS, be sure to keep an eye on the oil level. The 3.6 is known to use a fair amount of oil (especially with freeway driving), and that can lead to timing chain issues if it gets too low for too long. Personally, I check oil every fuel stop when I'm on a trip. Otherwise every few weeks if driving around town. I also follow the advice of Northstar Performance (link <here>) and change oil every 3k miles. Oil is cheap.

enjoy!

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
Summit Racing shows they have the calipers in stock and can ship tomorrow :

They also show they have a caliper, rotor and Pad kit available to ship tomorrow also:

Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Ryan, and good to know !

Yeah, I’m 25 minutes from Hershey Park, so I grew up riding a roller coaster many a times, which is exactly what the pic of that engine looks like, and thanks for sharing that’s pretty awesome ! The first thing I did, was ask the seller about oil, and he told me it didn’t burn or use oil, like I was suspecting, and he was right, like I said it was and is super clean ! When I looked at it, took a close Inspection and there was no leaking or seeping oil, top or bottom, so was very impressed ! I’ve changed the oil twice since Dec., using the 5 quart 5/30 Mobil syn. and 1 quart lucus the 1st time, and then the Mobil 1 with 1 royal purple the second . Have been and will continue to change between 30% and 20 % on the oil life DIC, for the life of me, or the car .

Good looking out, appreciate your input, and thanks again ! Later, peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Roy, thanks good looking out as well, and appreciate any and all input, and the update, thanks again, big ups ! Thanks so much ! So, you think I can fit the JE5 system behind those 17” stock wheels without a problem ? Thank you, Roy ! Later brother,
Peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
735 Posts
Thanks Ryan, and good to know !
Yeah, I’m 25 minutes from Hershey Park, so I grew up riding a roller coaster many a times, which is exactly what the pic of that engine looks like, and thanks for sharing that’s pretty awesome ! The first thing I did, was ask the seller about oil, and he told
me it didn’t burn or use oil, like I was suspecting, and he was right, like I said it was and is super clean ! When I looked at it, took a close Inspection and there was no leaking or seeping
oil, top or bottom, so was very impressed ! I’ve changed the oil twice since Dec., using the 5 quart 5/30 Mobil syn. and 1 quart lucus the 1st time, and then the Mobil 1 with 1 royal purple the second . Have been and will continue to change between 30% and 20 % on the oil life DIC, for the life of me, or the car . Good looking out, appreciate your input, and thanks again ! Later, peace out, HOSE !
IME most of the oil consumption is in the PCV system so you won't see any leaks. But pull the small airbox off the throttle body and look inside...if you see a small pool of oil, it came through the PCV. However you likely won't lose any if you don't drive freeway or high RPM.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
218 Posts
Have you tried R1 Concepts for brake kits? I have ordered many times from them.I have FE5 suspension, JE5 brakes with 18" 12 spokes, but I run 17"steelies in winter with no concerns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ryan, thanks I’ll check it this weekend, didn’t really tear it down and look in, but did see it when I broke down the components to change air filter and clean MAF sensor, but the front outside of it was not dirty, grimy or greasy !
Thanks, later peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Argent, appreciate it !
Are the 17’s steelies you run,
17 X 7.5 or 17 X 8 ?
Thanks, later peace out ! HOSE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it Roy, thank you !
Yeah still waiting to order till I know for sure, would really like to go from the JL9 to JE5, not if the JE5’s will fit 17 X 7.5 with 225/50R17, I mean if I have to stick with JL9 system it is what it is, but JE5 just seems like better brakes ?
Thanks again Roy,
Later, peace out, HOSE !

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
735 Posts
Ryan, thanks I’ll check it this weekend, didn’t really tear it down and look in, but did see it when I broke down the components to change air filter and clean MAF sensor, but the front outside of it was not dirty, grimy or greasy !
Thanks, later peace out, HOSE !
Just to clarify...this engine has two PCV hoses. One from the driver side valve cover to the airbox and one from the pass side valve cover to both sides of the intake plenum. The pass side port likely sucks more oil than the driver side, but I have noticed a fair amount in the airbox after freeway driving, suggesting the driver side port also sucks oil. You can find numerous threads here on this topic if you search, but IMO the biggest problem with this system is the oil getting too low. As I mentioned above, just keep an eye on the oil level (check every one or two fuel stops) and it should be fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts