Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hi all. long time lurker and "searcher". Long story short - coming home from my granddaughter's 1st birthday party from Raleigh to Wilmington, NC - my '05 CTS 2.8L with 165K miles, died. a few minutes later, it did start in what i call "limp mode", at around 35mph tops for a few miles, then had to have it towed ($$$) the rest of the way home.

i have a code reader and it shows:
P0393: Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 2
P0368: Same but Bank 1
P0348: Intake Camshaft Sensor Circuit - Bank 2
and -
P0327: Knock Sensor Circuit, Low Voltage - Bank 1
P0606: Control Module Processor Performance.

i cleared the codes, put a battery charger on since i ran that down trying to get her running again. got it started in "limp mode". i took the negative battery cable off for around 20 minutes and it still started in limp mode, but i didn't run it more than 20 seconds, but the check engine light didn't come on.

so.... do i need to start with getting 4 cam sensors? a knock sensor? ignore the P0606 until i make changes?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded 2015 SRX-traded 2006 STS
110 Posts
Sometimes it is the WIRES from CPS to ECM or ECM going bad. Get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Aurora 5000. i'll give that a look. i do have a bit of vehicle electronic experience, mainly on my '89 Buick Reatta 3.8L with a OBD I system, but
have changed out a few sensors on newer vehicles with OBD II. first time on a CTS 2.8L.

any other comments/suggestions welcome!:)

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
update with a thought or two. i've used contact cleaner on the camshaft sensors and ECM connections - sometimes that's all other cars i've had needed - but to no avail. it took me awhile (duh) to start thinking that it's probably the ECM. codes are in post#1. why would all those codes, never before seen - start at the same time unless the ECM "took a crap"?

i saw in another thread about this place for a ECM: http://www.acrautos.com/2005-cadillac-cts-ecm-ecu-pcm-engine-computer.html

has anyone purchased and used one of their ECM's? it looks like a good deal...

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Unless you get it from a parts place as they are pre programmed when you get them
the place i linked to above does sell the ECM pre programmed. when ordering, i need to give them the VIN # plus odometer mileage.

i suppose i'll go ahead and order the ECM tonight or tomorrow - unless anyone thinks the problems could be all the above listed sensors going out at once. or if anyone has any problems with the supplier...

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Corvanti said:
the place i linked to above does sell the ECM pre programmed. when ordering, i need to give them the VIN # plus odometer mileage. i suppose i'll go ahead and order the ECM tonight or tomorrow - unless anyone thinks the problems could be all the above listed sensors going out at once. or if anyone has any problems with the supplier...
Ah that's good
I doubt it being that many sensors all at one time
I know when the pcm in my escalade failed it threw multiple sensor codes for sensors that I knew was good

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Camshaft Position Sensor w/Codes??? ECM...

thanks folks! i ordered the ECM from the guys in post #4. "they" contacted me today and not only needed the VIN# and mileage, but the "Service Number". fortunately the paper sticker on the ECM was readable with that number!

it appears that the part will be here by next Friday. in the meantime, i'll be messing with the right rear brake line: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/608498-brake-issue-hard-line-failure.html

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the ECM should arrive Friday 6/12/15. i really don't feel like doing much of the other problems - right rear brake line and serpentine belt tensioner among other "smaller" things.

i hope that takes care of the engine - if it does, i'll be busy this weekend, ha!

if not, i think it will be going to the "recycle yard". i don't have much $$$, so i can't throw many more parts at it...

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final Update (?)...

the ECM came a day early and after installing and going thru the instructions so it would recognize my key - it was all the same as before...

popping, etc. and no codes since it first broke down on 5/31. i don't have the $$$ to do much else - like having it towed to a garage for further parts thrown at it.

where i live won't let me set it aside and part it out, so unless someone has an idea, i'll probably call a "wrecker" to tow it off for its weight.

really sux, and really sad i couldn't bring it back to life....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Corvanti said:
Final Update (?)... the ECM came a day early and after installing and going thru the instructions so it would recognize my key - it was all the same as before... popping, etc. and no codes since it first broke down on 5/31. i don't have the $$$ to do much else - like having it towed to a garage for further parts thrown at it. where i live won't let me set it aside and part it out, so unless someone has an idea, i'll probably call a "wrecker" to tow it off for its weight. really sux, and really sad i couldn't bring it back to life....
you have come a long way to give up. Do you have a volt meter? It's gotta be a wiring issue. Could be a sensor grounds since they usually put multiple sensors to one ground. It may even have a sensor ground to the ecm. Do you feel comfortable metering wires? If so I'd take some time just to make sure everything is getting constant power, ground, signal wires, and everything else. I could probably find a wiring diagram on all data for you if your not sure where to start.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
from what was said on another thread, i think it may be the timing chain. but with the rear brake line issue - i think i'm done.
i don't have enough $$$ now - (the ex-Mrs. Corvanti saw to that 3 1/2 years ago). again, if it is the timing chain, it appears
that will cost around $800-$1,000 in parts, not to mention labor, tow to the dealer.

i'm disabled and any work i do i pay for in pain. i threw a Craigslist ad up today for a "mechanic's special" at $1,499.
if anyone here in the area wants it for 2/3'd the price or so, and can tow it off - it's yours...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Corvanti said:
from what was said on another thread, i think it may be the timing chain. but with the rear brake line issue - i think i'm done. i don't have enough $$$ now - (the ex-Mrs. Corvanti saw to that 3 1/2 years ago). again, if it is the timing chain, it appears that will cost around $800-$1,000 in parts, not to mention labor, tow to the dealer. i'm disabled and any work i do i pay for in pain. i threw a Craigslist ad up today for a "mechanic's special" at $1,499. if anyone here in the area wants it for 2/3'd the price or so, and can tow it off - it's yours...
leak down or compression test would confirm that. But that is unfortunate, where are you located? if you are close I could take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leak down or compression test would confirm that. But that is unfortunate, where are you located? if you are close I could take a look at it for you.

I'm in Wilmington, NC about 2 miles north of Carolina Beach. thanks for your post!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts