Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me why the four Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet (Part #12567085) leak oil into the female end of the connection to the sensor of my 4.6L engine? Is this normal or a sign that the sensors are going bad??? If I need to replace them, does anyone have the torque specs?

·
Registered
sts
18 Posts
I replaced the two on the passenger side, seemed to do the trick but I still have 2 codes coming up. I think I might have a short in the ground wires or something. The 2 magnets in the driver side are still full of oil but I would have to remove the power steering pump in order to access it. I am getting codes p2089 and p2091- trying to get them to go away for inspection!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded 2015 SRX-traded 2006 STS
110 Posts
When that starts to happen, it is usually the wire from sensor to ECM that is bad. 4 wires can be involved. I had to replace all at one time.

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
I replaced the two on the passenger side, seemed to do the trick

Did you do they work yourself? Any special procedures/tools?

·
Registered
2004 XLR
2 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have to replace all four of my Camshaft Magnets (Part # 12567085) Does any one know the best procedure? I'm sure I can do it myself, but I could sure use some help.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
Best way to do it is to remove the valve covers and then remove the housing the magnets are attached to (there is a gasket for this housing as well). The magnets are sealed to the housing with silicone and it's pretty difficult to break the bond so there's risk of damaging the actuators. It isn't a fun job. The valve covers are likely leaking anyway so it'll all get taken care of at once.

·
Registered
2005 sts v8 rwd 1sg
23 Posts
Best way to do it is to remove the valve covers and then remove the housing the magnets are attached to (there is a gasket for this housing as well). The magnets are sealed to the housing with silicone and it's pretty difficult to break the bond so there's risk of damaging the actuators. It isn't a fun job. The valve covers are likely leaking anyway so it'll all get taken care of at once.
Have you done this job?

·
Registered
06 STS - 1SG AWD V8 and 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
40 Posts
does anyone have a more detailed description of the replacing them? some good pictures would be great.

thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I unplugged the harness from the sensors, removed the sensors, sprayed them good with contact cleaner and compressed air, and reinstalled them. That was a couple of years ago. No problems since and it didn't take a half hour.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
Wanted to update as this thread comes up when you do a google search for this. I just did this and its pretty straightforward, no valve cover removal. Directions are here:

http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/4241z-replace-camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-cadillac.html?r=aw|85386|0&awc=7742_1491525225_16f15a12a8380ea611658157737b42cf

Only thing I have to add is that when you order the actuators get 4 extra center plugs as they came installed on my actuators and you ruin them removing for the alignment procedure.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I just unplugged the harness, took out the cap screws holding them in, cleaned them, stuck them back in the hole, plugged in the harness and Bob's your uncle. They're just a common Hall effect device. Stick them back in the hole they came from and you shouldn't have any trouble

1 - 15 of 15 Posts