Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In May 2014, our SRX had the check engine light activate. There were no drivability problems, but it went into the dealership as soon as we could get it in. The dealer replaced the bank 1 exhaust cam actuator solenoid, and all was well.

Yesterday, the CIL activated again. My code scanner revealed a P0011, which is once again the cam actuator solenoid. We're scheduled to have it replaced again at the beginning of June (dealer is backlogged), but I found a bulletin (PIP-5096) which has sparked my curiosity. Has anyone else found that their engine EUN sticker does not match? I have no interest in digging into my engine to find out, so I will be leaving this to the dealer. However, I am curious if anyone else had had the same issue. It seems ironic that our cam actuator would fail twice within a year.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
How many miles on your 2014? I'm taking a 3,500 mile trip, next week, with my 2014, hopefully I wont have that problem.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
About a week ago we were returning from a trip to Florida in our 2014 SRX and right in the middle of downtown Atlanta the Check Engine came on. No drivability or performance problems. Got it to the Caddy dealer and they got a P0014 code, it was the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve had shorted, bank1 (right side). It was replaced, so far, so good. Approx. 12k on the clock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. To elaborate on my previous post, we have approx 38k on our 2014. We were on our way back from a trip when the CEL spawned; 30 miles earlier, we had fueled up at a Shell station that we had also filled up at on the way out (I'm picky about using top tier ONLY) - Standard 87 octane, 10% ethanol, like everywhere else. We drove the SRX home and the CEL stopped displaying after several ignition cycles. I left the P0011 stored and kept the service appointment in case it spawned again.

However, something curious happened. We went on another trip to the same area. We used a variety of brand name fuels on the way out and while we were there, all top tier - including some from the Shell I mentioned above - and had no issues. On the way back, I stopped at the Shell and fueled up again. 30 miles later, in the exact same area where the CEL came on the first time, the light came on again. Same P0011 code.

As someone who swears by Shell fuel, this surprised me and leads me to suspect that something is going on with that station's fuel (water?). But if so, why did it spawn both times on the way back, and neither of the times on the way out - we use their fuel whenever we pass through. I'm trying to track down our receipts to see if there's an underlying theme in the pump number by chance. Or is this just coincidence that I'm trying to dig deep into?

Regardless, I'm thinking of running a bottle of fuel system treatment plus through the SRX the next time we fuel up. The next time we pass through the above area I do NOT intend to use their fuel again.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
...30 miles later, in the exact same area where the CEL came on the first time, the light came on again. Same P0011 code....
RF interference from a radio/TV transmitter in the area possibly? Years ago when I occasionally had to carry a pager for work I had to change my commute route because a transmitter on my normal route would raise havoc with the pager. Might be something similar in your case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RF interference from a radio/TV transmitter in the area possibly? Years ago when I occasionally had to carry a pager for work I had to change my commute route because a transmitter on my normal route would raise havoc with the pager. Might be something similar in your case.
Would that make sense that it would do it going only one way? We've been through that area many times, and these last two are the first times it has happened. The area is extremely rural, FWIW.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
Would that make sense that it would do it going only one way?...
Possibly. The car is oriented differently when going and coming which could affect it. That and interference has to end somewhere. (I remember back when I was about 13 or 14 sitting on the front porch watching it rain across the street for 10-15 minutes before it started on our side of the street. It has to start/end somewhere.)

...We've been through that area many times, and these last two are the first times it has happened. The area is extremely rural, FWIW.
Maybe a local station recently increased their output? Years ago a local HAM club had an equipment issue and was broadcasting over the top of a local TV station. I'm sure there are other scenarios.

I just can't see how anything fuel related could cause the car to throw that particular code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts