Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i had a few questions/ideas/concerns i'd like to get some feedback on. Monday i am getting something done to my car (04 V), just not sure what yet. Plan was to get headers and a cam installed. The cam will be a 227/231 .114 or smaller. I read the thread regarding top end and low end power...I want something on the low-mid range of the rpms. My concern is with my exhaust. I currently have cutouts and an x pipe and think it sounds great! Just the right volume. If i put headers and a cam i am told it will be too loud to leave the cutouts open all of the time (after hearing TXSilverV's i agree), leaving me with the sound it makes with the stock mufflers. I love the sound it makes now, quiet or loud. I dont want to have to run around with the cutouts closed 95% of the time.

So what i've been left to ponder is the following:

1.) Should i just get the headers i already bought installed and no cam? Would that still be too loud and only gain moderate amounts of hp?

2.) Should i just get a cam and leave the stock exhaust manifold and hope it doesnt increase the volume too much? I would think a cam only would gain more hp than headers only.

3.) Or should i do both (headers and cam) and maybe i can control the volume by only opening the cutouts partially? Would it have a somewhat aggressive sound with cutouts closed, stock mufflers with headers, cam, and Xpipe?

When i woke up this morning, option #2 came to mind and right now that is what i am thinking would be best... Any ideas are appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
a cam shouldnt make the car any LOUDER ...it will just change the idle and ramp up characteristics... you might change the NOTE of the exhaust butnot the overall sound level....

i'd say get them installed and get the cam... then when you need that extra little OOMPH open the cutouts ... with a cam and headers and the cutouts closed it shouldnt be too much louder/quieter than it is now with stock manifolds and your cutouts open.

you can disregard my opinion if you want... i think cutouts are redneck and sound like ASS on F-bodies...but i've never heard them on a V...

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
I'd definitely do both. With the larger cam, the motor is gonna need to breathe a lot better. You will see much larger gains adding headers to a cammed car as oppose to a stock car. If you leave the stock manifolds you won't be allowing the motor to get full benefits from the cam swap.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think cutouts are redneck and sound like ASS on F-bodies...but i've never heard them on a V...
I appreciate your opinion and have heard cars that do sound bad with cutouts. I have mine way at the back by the mufflers, so its actually pretty deep and not all raspy and crappy sounding like some F-bodies i've heard. But like anything else everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i did ask for yours so no worries :thumbsup:

Heres a clip of my cutouts, its kinda long and near the highway but it gets the point across...

Wooo Dawgy! I dun like-tuh make my car go vroom wroom!!!

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
sounds good...

but like i said with the cam and headers your car shouldnt be too much louder than THAT with the cutouts closed...

then when you really need to make granny shit her drawers open then and WWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Headers AND Cam. if it's not load enough then time for a new exhaust! Corsa is a good fit with the Kooks Headers. Other option is to just have the mufflers changed so you can leave you cut out setup.

Those Headers look like they have equal length runners and should give you some great flow.

I agree with a post above, If you want to get the max performance form the Cam you must put the headers on.

Bottom line is you should put the headers on then figure out how to get the tone you want if it's not loud enough.

Granny pooping her drawers, funny.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you could always get the cheatr cam - meant for use with stock exhaust manifolds and makes great power off idle all the way to 6800. great for dd and street use. your car will sound exactly the same with a little lope from the cam. And youd save the 1000 it would cost you for headers. Instead take that money and do a 90mm setup (tpis altered ls6 90mm setup) for about 500-600 and also get a lightened uuc flywheel for 400. I bet youll love your car lol.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My concern isnt the car being loud enough, its being too loud! I like running around with the cutouts open since its not untolerble now. Oh well guess ill do both and see. I already bought the headers, they're in the living room next to my freshly rebuilt maggie still in the box. Maybe i should put her back on and be done with it!

The shop is putting the 227/231 .114 in a vette today. Im going by to check it out and see how it idles/sounds and make a decision after that.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
dude id recommend changing our springs etc out anyways when doing a cam install.....your busting the motor open...its better just to do it while your in there, its recommended by most anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts