Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im wondering if anyone knows anything about SLR Changeable lense cameras.

I just bought a NIkond D series camera Body only got a good deal on a D5100 used for 229.00 with a 1 year warranty.
But its body only no lens
I don't really plan on doing any short range shooting with it.
but i know i am going to get a basic 18-50 or 55 lense for it for short range.

but i really wanted it so that i could get some good pictures when i am in the parks and mountains. so i know i was a long range lense.
i can get a 55-200 lense refurbish from nikon for around 79 dollars or 89 dollars.

I am wondering if this is a good lense for what i want or if someone has a better recommendation.
i don't want to spend more than 100 max. and i would get one that was used if it good quality also.

thanks

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,715 Posts
Re: Camera's anyone know about them ?

That'll be fine for casual shooting.

D5100 is nice - does video. Crop sensor so there's a small disadvantage, but for that price? F*ck yeah I'd buy that.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That'll be fine for casual shooting.

D5100 is nice - does video. Crop sensor so there's a small disadvantage, but for that price? F*ck yeah I'd buy that.
yeah i just did buy it. but i am trying to figure out what lense i need to get

like i understand that this is a Auto Focus optional camera so i want to get a A/F lens i am thinking.

i don't know if it is worth it to spend the extra on the VR verse the NO VR lens.

----------

this is what i am thinking about for a lens http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009HN57Y/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,779 Posts

i can get a 55-200 lense refurbish from nikon for around 79 dollars or 89 dollars.
That sounds like a very good price for that lens and should suit what you want it for.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts

Hurrah for Nikon, I have a D7100 and love it. Shame the D5100 doesn't have a built-in motor for auto focus. Because I have a 70 to 300mm lens that has the ability to auto focus, but the body must have the motor. It's an old style lens, so no VR or anything fancy like that.

Stingroo, what is the deal with the FX and DX sensor debate? Some say if you install a 55 prime that on the DX it looks like you are closer than if it was on an FX. But my big question, will the different sensors affect image quality when printed?

ThumperPup, what do you think about this lens? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6G-ED-IF-AF-S-DX-VR-Nikkor-Zoom-Lens-/321367251155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad2fb18d3

It's only $129. Full auto or manual, has the VR and able to shut it off. Not a bad price either.

KOT

·
Registered
9,802 Posts

You're right, all DSLR cameras have auto focus. What I was referring to is the build in motor.

For example, the 70-200(300 maybe) lens that I have. Is an older type where in order for the auto focus to happen, the body must be able to spin the screw that is on the lens. Because for this particular lens, the body "drives" the focus lens.

Looking on the mounting ring on the D7100, you can see a little "screw" that comes out. The body itself, has the ability to enable/disable auto focus too. Where as some other body's, the manual/auto is solely on the lens.

Here's a D7100...

Here's a D5100...

I don't know what the focal length is on this lens. But see that silver "screw", that is what the body pushes into and spins for the auto focus on older lens.

Now, here's a little FYI. Nikon has not changed their camera/lens mount since the 1950's. So technically you can use a lens from what back then. But it's the auto focus that's going to hinder you.

Don't get me wrong, the D5100 is a good DSLR. I had the D3200 before I picked up the D7100.

KOT

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
OK since my man Pup got his answer, can we spam here?

I have a Minolta Maxxum 35 mm and I would like to move up to digital.
I understand Sony will play nice with my Maxxum lenses and such.
Anyone know for sure which models I should be looking for?
I would like to have them work with my existing accessories because I have quite a large investment in lenses and filters etc.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
If I were you Dave, I would take a couple of my favorite lens to Best Buy or camera shop and see if they fit a Sony. Fitment and does it fully operate (Not sure on what the lens relays on from the body.).

ThumperPup, did you receive my PM on my offer? It still stands.

KOT

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,779 Posts
I just went through this Dave. I had an 80-210 Telephoto and big Macro (I forget the focal length). I could get an adapter to put it on a digital, but you loose all the auto functions and I was told there may be some vignetting around the edges. I sold the whole set up (cheap). :(

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I know that a digital back for my 500C Hasselblad that will take full advantage of the capabilities of the Zeiss lenses costs about $20,000. All the cheapies you see on Ebay tether you to a MAC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts