Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... This is going to require a bit of visualizing to understand (for those that dont already understand).....

Camber is the degree to which the tires point inward or outward....... Picture the car from an ABOVE view....... So, negative camber would have this sort of tread pattern: / \....... Where the FRONT of the tires point toward each other....... Positive camber would look the opposite, like this: \ / ........

Caster is the degree to which the tires is tilted on the Y-axis....... Picture the car from a head on view..... Picture the tire on a coordinate plane, and turn it on the Y axis...... The tread pattern will look like this, with NEGATIVE caster \ / ........

When you get alignments, these things get measured, but are hardly noticed....... When the camber is out of spec, it may pull, tires wear weird, lots of stuff, not to mention bad handling....... When caster is out of spec, it will show by the outside of the tires wearing faster......

Now, Id like to know what sort of suspension system the 93+ cadillacs have.... The Q45s have a multilink suspension...... The upper control arm is the primary controller of camber, and the tension rod is the primary controller of caster....... I dont know what sort of system it has..... Is it adjustable?? I figured it wouldnt have a conventional multi link, with the CVRSS to handle most of that........

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a way it is.......

Toe in is usually referred to and corrected by mal-adjusted tie rods........ Sometimes (probably more often) toe in measurments will be different on either tire, whereas camber will usually be consistent through each tire........ Since the suspension components will wear at the same rate........

·
Registered
47 Posts
elwesso said:
Ok..... This is going to require a bit of visualizing to understand (for those that dont already understand).....

Camber is the degree to which the tires point inward or outward....... Picture the car from an ABOVE view....... So, negative camber would have this sort of tread pattern: / \....... Where the FRONT of the tires point toward each other....... Positive camber would look the opposite, like this: \ / ........

Caster is the degree to which the tires is tilted on the Y-axis....... Picture the car from a head on view..... Picture the tire on a coordinate plane, and turn it on the Y axis...... The tread pattern will look like this, with NEGATIVE caster \ / ........

When you get alignments, these things get measured, but are hardly noticed....... When the camber is out of spec, it may pull, tires wear weird, lots of stuff, not to mention bad handling....... When caster is out of spec, it will show by the outside of the tires wearing faster......

Now, Id like to know what sort of suspension system the 93+ cadillacs have.... The Q45s have a multilink suspension...... The upper control arm is the primary controller of camber, and the tension rod is the primary controller of caster....... I dont know what sort of system it has..... Is it adjustable?? I figured it wouldnt have a conventional multi link, with the CVRSS to handle most of that........
First of all, caster being out will not show tire wear. Only toe and camber will have tire wear. To adjust camber, the frt struts are adjusted at the knuckle. Caster, the top of the struts are moved. Toe, the tie rods are adjusted.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sorry Wes, Cadfan has it right.
To answer your question though, I need to know WHAT 93+ Caddies are you talking about? RWD or FWD? They are totally different.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was more leaning toward the seville/eldo..... The FW is probably a very simple setup......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts