Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it sucked

ive had no problems up to this point so i knew something was going to be coming soon. so everything is pretty much together and i wanted to try to start the car and so im trying. next thing i know, my engine is on fire. apparently the fuel line was not tight, and gas leaked all over the intake manifold. next, i found a ground wire that was not grounded anywhere and it is my suspicion that it arced to the nearest ground causing the vapors to ignite. it burned for about 40 seconds, and the only thing i had nearby to put it out was water which would have been my last choice, but hey, i was trying to save the engine. so i was careful not to get any water in the carb.

grar, im so worried though that things are screwed up. when i looked at it after the fire was out, nothing appeared burned or even melted. but a friend of mine had an engine fire and it caused him $1000 in damage.

has anyone else ever had an engine fire. if so what happened.

and how worried should i be about a 30-40 second burn and no signs of melting or burning?

~Andrew

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Look very carefully for vacuum hoses cracked, wires toasted, and fuel lines (if any more rubber) is now comprimised.

Glad you were ok and nothing got damaged too badly!

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Engine fires, if put out quickly, are not terrible. I had the exact same thing happen to me in my 85 Parisienne. The hose clamp on the fuel line to the carburetor wasn't tight enough, leaked onto the manifold, and something sparked it. Just to make sure, I replaced all the vacuum hoses and the fuel hose. Bought a new air cleaner element, and took a bottle of carb cleaner and a tooth brush and cleaned all of the burn off of the manifold and carburetor. Replaced the carburetor base gasket too. I think I spent around $30 replacing everything, but hey, a lot cheaper than replacing the engine! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything was fine, which i sure am glad of. nothing was even melted at all, so i was very lucky. so i fixed the ground wire and tightened up the fuel line, and tried starting the car again. if ran, but not very well. some of the cylinders were not firing, and i expect it is because of the spark plugs. on some of them, where the wire goes over the plug it was quite rusty.

if thats not the case, will a car run with the timing off by 180 degrees?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
A vehicle MIGHT run with the timing 180 degrees off, but it will run terribly! My first intake manifold swap I put the distributor 180 degrees off on a 350 Camaro. Ran like sh*t.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
180 out and it will buck and backfire through the intake. Been there, done that....

My 80 TTA when I dropped in the 455 I got it 180 out, so I just reversed the firing order on the cap! Worked for me. Amazing how many people try to tell you that won't work.... Once you get them to actually THINK about it, they can't tell you why it won't! which worked out best, as the vacuum adv can was interfering with the intake, so timing was limited, so it really helped too. IF you are a tooth off, you might need to turn the distributor body a little more to get the timing in spec. No biggie at all.

So yes, if are you 180 out, 2 things. rotate rotor 180, or rotate plug wires 180 (swap 1 with 6, 8 with 5, 4 with 7, 3 with 2. It will run then. #1 just moved to a new home, that is all.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it must not be off by 180 degrees then cuz it doesnt buck or backfire. its just really rough and im pretty sure its because of the rusty spark plugs. i have new plugs, just have to install them and try starting it again. I can wait to get my baby back on the road. it'll be a nice change from the car i am driving now. 1989 geo spectrum 1.5 liter, 70 hp, 5 sp manual. the only good part is 43 mpg and the 5 sp is fun. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts