Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
registered an out of state caddy (1981 in particular) from outside california (car is located in New York)? My mom passed away and my dad is giving me a 1981 Coupe Deville with 13k original miles (my mom got sick and stopped driving it) so I am getting it shipped out here to California.

I am curious to know if any one has had any issues getting it registered out in California, or just from any car being shipped here?

I am new and i appreciate any info, I have tried DMV but wasn't that helpful regarding what will pass CA smog and what wouldn't!

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Check the requirements for different model years. A 1981 may be old enough to slide under the radar.

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
just had my illinois sts registered out in socal. smog test came back clean; whole process was easy

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
An 81 might be exempt from emissions testing. I forget the rules out there but I know they are similar to the ones for emissions testing here in northern VA.
I think testing only goes back 25 years because the number of cars still running that old is fairly low and keeping them in compliance can be costly.
At any rate, nothing special needs to be done on cars that are subject to emissions inspection except to maintain their emissions levels as they were at the time of manufacture.

There is a myth that cars have to meet CA emissions standards to enter the state, that is malarkey. It has to meet the requirements of the under hood emissions label.

CA used to charge a "smog impact fee" but it was ruled as illegal and they had to refund the money a few years back.
With the age of the car you probably won't have to do anything.

Look at the CARB website for more information. (California Air Resources Board)
Also look at the CA BAR website (bureau of automotive repair) Here is a link to some smogcheck information: http://www.bar.ca.gov/

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Thank you for all the info it is very informative! I will post pics of it as seen as she arrives it should be here in the 24th of this month I am pretty excited about it!!!!!

Again thank you all for your information I can see that this website and it's members are going to prove to be invaluable!!!

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Testing goes back 30 years in California. Example; a 1979 vehicle is now exempt. An '81 will have to be smogged. Suggest you do a good tuneup and make sure it has all the smog equipment for that model year on it and servicable. That being the case, just take it to a smog station that allows you to bring it back for free if it doesn't pass and have it tested. With that kind of miles, it will probably pass with flying colors. You will probably need to prove to DMV that the car was inherited/given to you by your Grandmother in order to register it in CA. Also, you can use an interfamily transfer and avoid paying sales tax on it.

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah will have all the paperwork filled out most of the cars I buy are pre smog normally. So I will call dmv and get more info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts