Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a report today from GM that the YF5 emissions on the V.. make the cars slower.

More emission equipment.. smog pump is different, PCM, Convertors, Fuel Pump.

Makes a slower car in testing. all the mags test did tests on FE9 Cars..

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Interesting. Doesn't surprise me though... :thepan:

Don't be fooled though---many Vs sold outside of CA will have the same smog crap installed.

·
Registered
'09 Thunder Gray CTS-V
156 Posts
I saw a report today from GM that the YF5 emissions on the V.. make the cars slower.

More emission equipment.. smog pump is different, PCM, Convertors, Fuel Pump.

Makes a slower car in testing. all the mags test did tests on FE9 Cars..
I can't imagine this "report" is confidential. Any chance you can share it with us or send me a copy of it to my e-mail address or PM box? Unfortunately, the only car available (with my options) on the planet was in California and that's where I bought it. I will dyno mine tomorrow or Saturday BONE stock with about 500 miles in it to see what the numbers look like.

What your saying does make some sense because why would all of the "FR9" cars be 50 State Compliant and yet GM still had to make a "YF5" to satisfy California emissions.

The only thing that DOESN'T add up is the fact these cars are SAE rated for their horsepower...which means even the YF5 cars MUST be rated at that horsepower. So, maybe the FE9 cars have a little bit more horsepower?

Hopefully, between a copy of your report and my dyno numbers we can makes some sense of this.

Robert

·
Registered
'09 Thunder Gray CTS-V
156 Posts
One last thing...where can the RPO sticker be found on this car? I looked on all for doors, the glove box, under the hood, in the trunk...nothing!

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
One last thing...where can the RPO sticker be found on this car? I looked on all for doors, the glove box, under the hood, in the trunk...nothing!

Thanks,

Robert
Could they be like the V1 cars? There is a sticker on the underside of the cover for the wheel well in the trunk.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Good thing I bought a NON-YF5 vehicle out of state and had it shipped from the selling dealer to me here.

My V passed CA emissions with no problems and it is registered here in CA, so if any of you CA guys want a V, don't be afraid of not being able to register it here. You can with no problems at all.

The 2009 CTS-V along with all other GM vehicles are 50 state cars.

Hope this helps!

SG

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you local dealer look up through parts. Any tech can call the dealer hotline to confirm..

·
Registered
'09 Thunder Gray CTS-V
156 Posts
Have you local dealer look up through parts. Any tech can call the dealer hotline to confirm..
Gee...thanks for the help! :banghead:

You brought up this document, you work at a dealership, and you want us to go try and drive all over town trying to find someone that has any clue what we are talking about? Nevermind... :tisk:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was an internal doc..

not at the dealership..

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
I also got mine from out of state(Superior), and had it shipped here in Ca. Still passed smog with no problems. Not sure why they have two different models if both can pass all 50 state requirements. Cecil.........

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I also got mine from out of state(Superior), and had it shipped here in Ca. Still passed smog with no problems. Not sure why they have two different models if both can pass all 50 state requirements. Cecil.........
I'm the exact same and would ask the same question... Very strange...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wonder why this would be. I am not GM and I don't make the changes. The Escalade for example is the same thing. If you get an Escalade its FE9 emissions is only 49 state. You need to order Cal. Yf5..

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V /White Diamond/Titanium
5 Posts
Interesting. Doesn't surprise me though... :thepan:

Don't be fooled though---many Vs sold outside of CA will have the same smog crap installed.
YOU'RE RIGHT!! Just checked the RPO sticker on my 09 Arizona-based and purchased CTS-V and sure enough, it shows the CA smog code. Have emailed Cadillac and am now awaiting their response. This appears to be a rip-off: why should I be penalized with additional emission junk living in Arizona?

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
California is trying to lead a charge to further reduce and cut down on vehicle emissions. Unfortunately other states are going to be following suit and manufacturers will eventually have to make "CA Spec emission vehicles" and "Regular vehicles" or eventually just make them ALL CA SPEC.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I can't imagine this "report" is confidential. Any chance you can share it with us or send me a copy of it to my e-mail address or PM box? Unfortunately, the only car available (with my options) on the planet was in California and that's where I bought it. I will dyno mine tomorrow or Saturday BONE stock with about 500 miles in it to see what the numbers look like.

What your saying does make some sense because why would all of the "FR9" cars be 50 State Compliant and yet GM still had to make a "YF5" to satisfy California emissions.

The only thing that DOESN'T add up is the fact these cars are SAE rated for their horsepower...which means even the YF5 cars MUST be rated at that horsepower. So, maybe the FE9 cars have a little bit more horsepower?

Hopefully, between a copy of your report and my dyno numbers we can makes some sense of this.

Robert

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
They also make "export" versions for export to other countries. Since Cal is as big as other countries, I believe that they could
build a Cal specific vehicle. The others may pass, however the Cal version is certified by GM to pass without being tested.

·
Registered
'09 Thunder Gray CTS-V
156 Posts
Well...I dont doubt that Scott saw the "document" he is referring to in his post as I'm sure he did. However, I'm here to tell you that I dont care what the document said...I just got back from the dyno with my bone stock V with only 309 miles on it and it put down 457rwhp and 448ft lbs.

So, maybe the Cali smog car makes less power, maybe global warming is true, and maybe Elvis is still alive...however, I'm going to just say what I said earlier in this thread and that is this: It still has to make the SAE rated 556hp numbers! Judging by my numbers...anyone with the YF5 has nothing to feel ripped about! :cool2:

See ya!

Robert

P.S. It was 104 degrees outside and I just drove 40 minutes to the dyno. My car sat for less than 30 minutes before it was on the rollers making a pull.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Robert, if you send me a vin of your California car, i can go thru the build and see if there is indead differences in the cars.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
My Honda Accord had emissions that were more stringent for 5 states, including CA. It was classified(an '01 model) as an ULEV(Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) as opposed to an LEV(Low Emissions Vehicle). It was down 1hp.

Slapped on a CAI and got it back...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts