Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm a new CTS-V owner, so new to this board as well, so I hope I don't repeat a previous question:

I live in California, so in order to put a set of headers on my car the headers must have an "executive order" issued and a "D" number assigned by the state of California :( . I spoke with the fine folks at Stainless Works and sadly their headers have not been submitted to the fine legislators in California, so I'm stuck looking for another manufacturer.

Does anyone out there know of a CA legal set of headers for our CTS-V's?

Thanks much

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm aware of the beauracratic nightmare California legislators have in place, that's why I'm asking if anyone is aware of a manufacturer who has been willing and able to jump through the necessary hoops to obtain a "D" number for a set of full length headers.

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Metal,
California requires an every other year smog check on any vehicle from '77 onwards, so simply tossing on a set of unapproved headers isn't worth the effort involved, that is unless something has changed in the last couple months I'm unaware of.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
It's every other year AFTER your "new car exemption period" expires. But I'm with you: no headers until they'll pass CARB muster. The spot visual inspection police are supposedly arming as we speak.

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My engine builder mentioned something about the possibility of a "spot check", but I'm unaware of any details, but that would REALLY suck.
As for the "5 year plan", no I was not aware of that either, so thank you both for the clarification.

Either way, i'm going to look (and wait for) a pair of CARB certified headers, that way I don't have to worry about it in the least. If I want a car to work on regularly or worry about, I'll go out in the garage and play with my Vette. My "V" needs to be something I can simply hop into and drive away, no bothers or worries (including legality).

I appreciate all the feedback, and I can't imagine I'm the only CA resident looking for a set.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anyone know off hand the Nevada laws on emissions and when I'll need to get a smog inspection on my '04 V?

·
Registered
476 Posts
My understanding is that long-tube headers, which clearly produce more power than short-tube headers, will have a hard time obtaining an executive order. The reason is that EPA now requires OEMs to "light-off" the cats at the earliest moment, which means placing the cats close to the exhaust valves - hence no long tubes.
As a practical matter, the short-tubes reduce emissions over the long tubes in a very short time-window, only for a few seconds after an ice-cold start. But all OEMs, including the new ZO7, place the cats right up close to the exhaust valves.
B&B has built short-tube headers for the CTS-V, which may have the proper exemption for California. Check with them directly.
There is no doubt that a long-tube header vehicle will pass a sniff test if the vehicle is warmed (never do a smog test unless the oil temp is at least 180). But there is a visual test, and the long-tubes are plainly visable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Carnalsupply said:
I appreciate all the feedback, and I can't imagine I'm the only CA resident looking for a set.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Oh! I'm still looking!!!!!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
bobwhat said:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Oh! I'm still looking!!!!!
Oxnard! I'd suggest we get together when I'm in Ventura next (you, me, Luna, Dennis), but your avatar scares me :hide:

·
Registered
51 Posts
lawfive said:
Oxnard! I'd suggest we get together when I'm in Ventura next (you, me, Luna, Dennis), but your avatar scares me :hide:
That's a picture of my Ex-Wife! (She scares me too!) Yeah let's get together!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Call Andy!

I'll be up Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, but probably everybody will be doing holiday type stuff, right?

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm really happy you guys have been able to sort out your times and dates, but is there any chance of staying on subject and letting me know if there's a manufacturer of California legal headers for a CTS-V?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts