Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS performance coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the cheapest CAI they make for a 3.6 performance coupe? I know there’s not much performance gain. I’m just looking for that sound

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
100 Posts
What’s the cheapest CAI they make for a 3.6 performance coupe? I know there’s not much performance gain. I’m just looking for that sound
You don’t want to put an after market cai on the CT’s 3.6 DI the oil you coat the filter with slims up the MAF sensor and you have to keep cleaning of the sensor. Better off doing the stock airbox mod that I did. Look it up on YouTube. It made the sound of my dual flowmaster super 10 mufflers drop to a deeper tone, not a lot but a bit. Sounds great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you just bring it to a shop and have them change the mufflers? Like I said I know you don’t really gain much hp dropping big coin on these. But I’d love to change the exhaust and intake sound. Already think I have to drop $1,200 on new bc coil overs to make the twenty’s look right in the wheel well. And paying a good amount for it to be professionally detailed, paint corrected and ceramic coated. Have so much going on with the car. Pulled my four 12” subs and two sub amps. Having a custom box made ported thru the back. Putting in 2 Orion hcca 12” subs and a sundown sfb 8000 watt amp and a sundown 1000.4. Adding four mor type r’s. Will have 175 watts going to 8 speakers. Love these cars. Dropping coin left and right lol

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
100 Posts
The super 10 mufflers by flowmaster are like $90 per muffler. Just put those on and do the stock air box mod and you should love the sound. It cost me a total of $300 to have a muffler shop cut off the stock muffs and put the super 10s on. I kept my stock exhaust tips.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s great news, thank you very much for the heads up. Very grateful. That’s going to save me money I can use elsewhere

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
100 Posts
That’s great news, thank you very much for the heads up. Very grateful. That’s going to save me money I can use elsewhere
Just make sure you keep everything else stock on the exhaust. Otherwise it doesn’t sound good. Have heard that if you delete the resonator aka mid muffler it makes your exhaust sound like it has marbles in it. Plus it costs more money. It’s plenty loud and aggressive with the setup I have.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,417 Posts
You just take the horn off the front of the air box and get all the noise in the intake you would ever want. CAI is a misnomer. I put a 80mm TB on my car with a 3.5" intake. Sounds like I have a performance muffler on the car. LOL.

Probably will more so when I replace the 2.25" exhaust with x crossover pipe with dual 3" pipes getting ready for the super charger setup and likely performance rebuilt LFX since mine will be close to 200k miles by the time I fit the SC on it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get it done! I’m putting tpms sensors on my 20’s right now to hopefully get mounted tomorrow. My car rarely gets driven. It has under 50k for a 2012. I’ve owned it over 3 years and bought it with 26k on it. I’m staying away from looking for performance mods. Just want the sound. As far as handling goes. I lit up a r32 Volkswagen in the hills of lake George with good Michelin’s this awd car is a monster in the turns.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,417 Posts
I want to get some 19's or 20's for my wagon but need to know the biggest I can go width wise etc. Looking at buying a house shortly and once I have that I have some projects to work on.. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They couldn’t install mine now till Wednesday. Said they were missing protectors on their mounting machine and may damage them. Friggin people. It was a online deal where the tires get shipped directly to them and I drop off my wheels. Two more days and hopefully I’ll have pics. They’re licky
They didn’t try to play oh it wasn’t us. I took pics of every wheel because this is how little faith I have in boys stepping up to be men and owning their shit. At least the manager did and didn’t let them try it. I should be grateful for that

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,860 Posts
Pipe dream - wasted money, big time - any one of the below is just fine and will flow far more air than the little 3.6 (220 c.i.) engine can handle.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
100 Posts
Pipe dream - wasted money, big time - any one of the below is just fine and will flow far more air than the little 3.6 (220 c.i.) engine can handle.

Those are economy and standard replacements only.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,860 Posts
Yup - just because something is hyped as "performance" doesn't mean a thing. Any one of those panel filters is as good as or better than the hyped $65 one.

Here's a link to another "performance" modification dream -

You're dealing with a small, normally aspirated engine that has precious few aftermarket modification possibilities, and it's "tuned" the the best overall performance vs. reliability level it can handle. Keep the vehicle clean, polished, maintained and drive it for what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts