Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up another V.
I don't have it home yet but Mod Planning still needs to begin.

So if I want to change the Fast 78 IM to a Fast 90 IM does the Intake Tube need to get changed?

The car has a Lingenfelter Intake with a hard plastic intake tube, cut down & extended by a silicone hose to the MAF Sensor.
I did not do this setup but it looks like the Intake Tube cold be from a Volant (or something else?) but it is cut down within inches of the 90 deg bend exiting the TB and is extended by a long piece silicone tube from there to the MAF.

I just want something cleaner when I do the Fast 90 IM, so I am considering:

Fully Stock LS2 Intake System
How bad is it really?
Can it be altered to work better?

Keep Lingenfelter CAI but use it w/ a Stock LS2 Air Intake Tube

Volant CAI
Does it fit an LS2 90mm Throttle Body?
Is it any better than Stock Intake System or the Lingenfelter CAI?

ebay has Volants (do I want to pick one up)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120138770407&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Dude, hands down do the TPIS modified ls6 intake. They take your ls6 intake cut the snout off attach a 90mm snout and your ready. Outflows ls2. Now that youll be 90mm, youll need either an ls2 tb (you should send it to bo white on ls1tech.com (5-8 rwhp) port and polish. Then I would do a custom intake similar in design to the ffv. 4inch aluminum tubing (and you could keep the lingenfelter filter/divider. It would look real clean. Youd keep the stock looking ls6 manifold (noone would know you sneakily have it modded to 90mm). Ive been dying to do this but cant. You would also save hundreds of dollars. Which I would commit to doing a light weight flywheel (uuc or z06 setup). Guarantee youll be faster than the fast 90mm setup and your car will feel/drive like its 300 pounds lighter,....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 04,

So the TPIS modded LS6 IM outperforms the Fast 90?

Also curious, Does a stock LS6 manifold outperform the Fast 78 (that my car has)?

If so, I like that route as I hear Fast IM's are noisy (mine had some wierd noises when I test drove it).

What is the FFV Intake?
(It's not ringing a bell with me)

Also, does the 90mm TB require a different diamater intake tube?
(I never compared a 90mm & 78mm TB to know if they are different outer diameter.)

Oh BTW - Are you saying to pass on the Volant Intake?

Much Apreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
If you have the FAST 78 the you can just get the top shell with the 90mm opening. They go for about $400. They outer diameters are similar depending on the brand. Anything that fits the stock piece will fit the 90mm.

I don't believe there is much difference between the FAST 78 and the LS6. The 90mm is better. While researching mine, I found that any car making 400+ rwhp with LS6/ported stock tb would gain around 20rwhp when going to a FAST 90/90 setup. Also I've never noticed that my FAST90 sounded any different than the stock one.

The TPiS is another option, not sure of the price on that one, but according to the link StealthV just added, it makes similar power as the FAST90. Then again the article is from TPiS, and for all I know they may have had some tricks up their sleeve to pull that one off.

You may want to do some searching on the FFV or homemade cold air kit. From quite a few test on here they seem to be doing as good or better than after market CAIs. While being much cheaper and you can build them to look the way you want them to look.

Jon

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Points for all you guys.

Excellent Info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
160 Posts
The stock air tube will work with the 90mm TB.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
If you have the FAST 78 the you can just get the top shell with the 90mm opening. <snip>
WOW, I didn't know that. Good info.

-Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts