• No

Votes: 1 6.7%
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
davesdeville said:
Blackout, do you have any reason for posting on this site other than to point out your opinion that Cadillacs are generally slow old-persons cars, and overall be a pain in the ass?

This is a serious question.
I think you answered your own question there. The topic of this post was should Cadillac bring back their race team. And what was it you just said? That they are generally old-persons cars right? So that is when I come in and point out to you all that that is all a Cadillac is and that it is by no means a race car. And then you guys get all bent out of shape when I point out the obvious to you. Why you get all mad and upset is beyond me when it is the truth. Yes Cadillac's are nice cars, yes they have all the options and ammentities that most cars wish they could have, but is it a race car? No. It is far from it. Now the new CTS-V that is coming out should be quite the nice car as long as Cadillac keeps up with what they are promising for it. But as of right now that would be the closest thing to a street legal race car Cadillac has ever seen in their 100 years of building cars. So you can curse at me and say whatever you want to about my Spec V but either way in the end my Spec V is more of a race car then anything Cadillac has put on the road.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
I think you answered your own question there. The topic of this post was should Cadillac bring back their race team. And what was it you just said? That they are generally old-persons cars right? So that is when I come in and point out to you all that that is all a Cadillac is and that it is by no means a race car. And then you guys get all bent out of shape when I point out the obvious to you. Why you get all mad and upset is beyond me when it is the truth. Yes Cadillac's are nice cars, yes they have all the options and ammentities that most cars wish they could have, but is it a race car? No. It is far from it. Now the new CTS-V that is coming out should be quite the nice car as long as Cadillac keeps up with what they are promising for it. But as of right now that would be the closest thing to a street legal race car Cadillac has ever seen in their 100 years of building cars. So you can curse at me and say whatever you want to about my Spec V but either way in the end my Spec V is more of a race car then anything Cadillac has put on the road.
It depends on your definition of a "racecar", but I would agree with you....... But, really, if you have enough money, you can make ANY car a race car, if you have the desire and the money to do it..... Some more than others.....

Obviously the SpecV is going to be easier to get to a certain horsepower, but the caddy (northstar) is closer (stock)......

I think making stock cadillac a "racecar" is a waste of money and it would take away from the dignity of the car.... A *few* tasteful mods (the FTS comes to mind) that will make it go slightly faster is fine, and makes it just as good, but I think spending thousands on ANY cadillac (with OEM engine, etc) to make it go fast is a waste...... If I wanted to get to, say 1000hp, I would start with a 500ci engine, not a 275ci engine.......

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
So you're saying your sole purpose is to instigate negative discussion, and contribute nothing other than that. Why do you bother?

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
Cadillac is generally an old person's car, yes. But that is something they've been trying to change for years.

The better question to ask is would getting back into racing help change that image, and would it be worth it.

If it's Lemans, I think not. I think they'd be better off putting that money into R&D for the V-series.

If Cadillac had done better with their LMP, it might help their image in Europe. But it doesn't mean much if there is nothing in the showroom they would want to buy.

A 500HP AWD Seville would draw me to a Caddy showroom before a 1-2-3 finish would draw me to an Audi showroom.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Andrew60SP said:
Cadillac is generally an old person's car, yes. But that is something they've been trying to change for years.

The better question to ask is would getting back into racing help change that image, and would it be worth it.

If it's Lemans, I think not. I think they'd be better off putting that money into R&D for the V-series.

If Cadillac had done better with their LMP, it might help their image in Europe. But it doesn't mean much if there is nothing in the showroom they would want to buy.

A 500HP AWD Seville would draw me to a Caddy showroom before a 1-2-3 finish would draw me to an Audi showroom.
If cadillac went back to racing it wouldn't change my view. I like cadillac b/c of style, luxary and power. Plus its fun to drive. I am a GM guy never owned anything but GM except one car a 85 merc marquis. bad mistake

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
Like i said the CTS-V is going to be the closest thing to a race car Cadillac has made and there's the proof right there in that link. davesdeville I dunno what you issue is with me, but hey whatever you beef is then just come out and say it or PM me because i answered your question as best as i could and yet you still have nothing but negative stuff to say when i answer your question as throughly as possible. So with you man its a no win situation so i could careless what you say from this point on. elwesso i think sumed it up the best in his post. You brought up the FTS, I love that car! Its so hot and makes me cream my pants just seeing it and I would love to have a car like that anytime. But also like you said spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a cadillac would be quite pointless I would tend to agree with you on that. And yes spending all that money to make it a fast car would take away from the dignity of the car. But I think as of late the Caddy that has the most potential of being a fast car would be the Fleetwood. It has the LT1 in it and the best thing of all its RWD. I have owned RWD and FWD cars and if you know anything about cars and racing you would know that FWD setup's are the worst for making into a race car. But enough about the race car talk here. I want to know what's everyone's definition of a race car. Do you consider a race car a car that goes fast in a straight line or for doing road courses?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
I want to know what's everyone's definition of a race car. Do you consider a race car a car that goes fast in a straight line or for doing road courses?
GOOD thought black out
that is what people have to look at and deciede which they consider is a race car. This whole arguement makes me laugh

My view is i personally hate rice cars, fords, mopar anything but GM.
Partially b/c that is what i grew up on and i enjoy working on them.
If you think about it back in the early 70s "kids" were modding there cars. Chevelles, stanges etc..
they were putting on racing stripes, glasspacks, cragers.

Its the same dame thing the rice kids are doing. To each is his own. If one guy likes a rice car its ok to pick on them for not having the same OPINION as him but its not good to go any further. You don't need to force it on someone.
Blackout just has a different picture of a car in his head then we do.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
Like i said the CTS-V is going to be the closest thing to a race car Cadillac has made and there's the proof right there in that link. davesdeville I dunno what you issue is with me, but hey whatever you beef is then just come out and say it or PM me because i answered your question as best as i could and yet you still have nothing but negative stuff to say when i answer your question as throughly as possible. So with you man its a no win situation so i could careless what you say from this point on. elwesso i think sumed it up the best in his post. You brought up the FTS, I love that car! Its so hot and makes me cream my pants just seeing it and I would love to have a car like that anytime. But also like you said spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a cadillac would be quite pointless I would tend to agree with you on that. And yes spending all that money to make it a fast car would take away from the dignity of the car. But I think as of late the Caddy that has the most potential of being a fast car would be the Fleetwood. It has the LT1 in it and the best thing of all its RWD. I have owned RWD and FWD cars and if you know anything about cars and racing you would know that FWD setup's are the worst for making into a race car. But enough about the race car talk here. I want to know what's everyone's definition of a race car. Do you consider a race car a car that goes fast in a straight line or for doing road courses?

My point was going to be 'quit being an unhelpful pain or get ... lost.' But I realise you have had some worthwhile input as demonstrated by this post, so I don't have much of an issue with it anymore.

S

·
0 Posts
davesdeville said:
My point was going to be 'quit being an unhelpful pain or get ... lost.'
SpecV, as the other current Nissan owner on here, you are not making a good showing for us. Please refrain from the bullshit posts that only serve to antagonize the hardcore Caddy people here.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
scourge said:
SpecV, as the other current Nissan owner on here, you are not making a good showing for us. Please refrain from the bullshit posts that only serve to antagonize the hardcore Caddy people here.
elwesso this what I was talking about in the other post. But if stating the facts and telling the truth is bullshit then I guess I am a bullshit artist. But if I said that Cadillac's made awesome race cars and that they are better then other cars in its class and they rule then nobody would be whining right? Well if i said that then I would be bullshiting. But like i said in my other post what is your definition of a race car? nobody has answered that question but JJHomer.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
elwesso this what I was talking about in the other post. But if stating the facts and telling the truth is bullshit then I guess I am a bullshit artist. But if I said that Cadillac's made awesome race cars and that they are better then other cars in its class and they rule then nobody would be whining right? Well if i said that then I would be bullshiting. But like i said in my other post what is your definition of a race car? nobody has answered that question but JJHomer.
Blackout,
I understand your frustration. I'll be the first one to admit that cadillac has yet to make a car that would classify under my view of a race car. It will be a never ending battle. I am a very bias man about cars. I know what i like and i don't need other people telling what to think. But what the hell people to each is his own. If someone wants to take a car and modify it go for it. People are crazy ive seen a station wagon that is faster than most cars out there.

Sure all of the people in this forum would like to belive that everyone would like to modify a caddy or similar and race it but that's not reality. People like blackout prove that and there are many more where he came from. Sure fast and the furious was a big thing in the import world. It helped jump start the "sport" to a new level.

Personally I think its ugly as sin what people do for body mods and paint. Take blackouts car for instance. (Sorry man) Look at his car with the red stuff on the side. I personally think that is ugly but he likes it and that is all that matters. He is the one that wakes up and starts it everymorning not us. Guys do everyone a favor and stop fighting back and forth. accept the fact that people have different views. If you want to state an opinion about imports, or domestic cars then go for it but please don't force your OPINION on others. I'm sure with the right mods, time, and money you can take a civic, focus, prelude, sentra etc... and make it a mean fast car. I personally wouldn't like it but that is there model of a racecar. I would modify a 67 camaro and go nuts.

So boys and girls lets all play nice for the forums sake. Help one another out not put them down b/c the prefer 4 instead of 8.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Take blackouts car for instance. (Sorry man) Look at his car with the red stuff on the side. I personally think that is ugly but he likes it and that is all that matters. He is the one that wakes up and starts it everymorning not us.
BASTARD! :nyanya: j/k but like you said to each his own.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
BASTARD! :nyanya: j/k but like you said to each his own.
Sorry to use you as an example, I hope you get my point though. This is a battle that can go on for years. It is stupid to argue about it b/c of bias. Now if you want to argue with cold hard numbers that's a different story just keep it civil

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
Sorry to use you as an example, I hope you get my point though. This is a battle that can go on for years. It is stupid to argue about it b/c of bias. Now if you want to argue with cold hard numbers that's a different story just keep it civil
Its pretty much the same arguments over Chevy vs. Ford, or Import vs. domestic. There will never be an end.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
Its pretty much the same arguments over Chevy vs. Ford, or Import vs. domestic. There will never be an end.
you hit it right on the money. It is all opinion. why can't people see that. You understand it clearly now everyone else has to. (sorry if others have)

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
"But like i said in my other post what is your definition of a race car?"

to make a bland definaition of a race car wouldnt be my style , that is why i didnt reply , give me a class and ill give a definition ...

but i see what your driving at , so lets ask , what consitiutes a car worth investiong money in to that would be run at my favoirt track (seabring) ??

Ok , first we need potential , we need something light ,near or balanced front to rear , low center of gravity , a suspsension system that can be worked with,high resale value(colectors type car), and a reliable powerplant

oviosly front wheel drive is out
so is solid axels
and most mass produced cars

this leaves us with a purpose designed sporting car , something not availe in a eco freindly trim level for less than 10k or a luxo boat that retails over 25k

were looking at corvettes , RX7s (tho a rotary isnt relible so it really doesnt quaify in my book) , maybe supras ,300zxtts,350zs stuff like that , and of coarse all the bad boys like lotus , lambo , porsche and the like

all mods would be stricly taylored to lowering laptimes , balancing horsepower with what the chassis/suspsension is capable of handleing a 1100 hp supra may do 170 down the big strightaway but would be a handful exiting may of the tighter corners , there is no room for 12 inch sub woofers, and dvd players ,neon lights or any of that crap , this car wouldnt be fit to sit in traffic on the way to work everyday let alone prowl the streets as the money invested in it would be for nothing , thats what we got the daily driver SER/Caddy for

fit and finish are somewhat important , we want something that would look good sittin next to a classic car , bascily a car that nothing is done half arse (would be a job getting fit and finish right on most vettes)

now , this is my opinon , not yours or anyone elses , but after seeing numerous times of money invested in a econo box that could "take a five oh" when the money could have been invested in something that could have more potential than who can get to the next light/timing strip faster , they make cars that do that stock , not to mention the kids driving the econobox miss out on driveing something that is more satisfying than a humble luxo boat or tin can

yes i had a infiniti g20 , but after the crash i realized i spent alomst 6 grand on a car that got destroyed going to and from work . even if i had put the parts on it still wouldnt be able to hang with cars that a more enjoyable driving experence can be had....if your gonna drop money on a kickass rig , get a daily driver first

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Why must we keep BEATING this same subject to death.......!

WE ARE ALL CAR ENTHUSIASTS!!!!!! I dont care if you drive a honda, Infiniti (had to throw that in there :D ), cadillac, or a chevorlet celebrity :)rolleyes: ), if you like your car, you are an enthusiast...... The type of car doesnt determine how much of an enthusiast you are..... All that matters is the desire to make the car that YOU want..... IMO, make what you want, and if others dont like it, tough..... If they do, thats great....!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts