Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
The CTS already competes with the ES in price and size. Yes, the ES is a FWD, "softer" car than the CTS, but the price, features and size are close. Unless they plan on marketing the XTS as a softer alternative to the CTS and make the CTS an edgier car, I see the XTS just cannibalizing CTS sales.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CTS will become aligned with the 5-Series and GS while a new entry-level Caddy will take on the 3-Series, IS and the rest...

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this strikes everyone as terrible news but there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel. If the XTS is going after the Lexus ES (which I know Buick should really be doing), than maybe Cadillac realizes that Lexus is a good target. To begin with, Lexus has become a success largely because they made vehicles that Cadillac used to. Big, comfortable, soft-riding, quiet and extremely luxurious. Cadillac used to make these better than anyone. When GM decided to get cheap and Cadillac rested on it's laurels, Lexus came right in and stole every single Cadillac customer that wasn't a die-hard enthusiast.

So while this isn't what Cadillac needs "right now" - maybe this is what they need in order to pave the way for the future. If this means they'll have a good competitor to the Lexus GS460 and eventually a good competitor to the Lexus LS460, than things may be looking up. Cadillac already has a good competitor to the Lexus RX350. And I have a feeling that whatever replaces the Escalade is going to be truly comfortable, luxurious and filled with the kind of features luxury buyers want/need.

Like I said - I know this isn't great news for us "enthusiasts" - but it may be good news for everybody else - which accounts for about 99% of automobile buyers in the world...

·
26,239 Posts
I agree about the 99% of buyers statement. If everyone were enthusiasts, the RX and ES wouldn't be the sales success they are.

I think Cadillac would be smart to use platform sharing to build a high quality entry level car to slot below the CTS. The two cars I just mentioned are both rebadged products that sell very well due to their price and perceived status, so there's no reason Cadillac can't do the same- the key is that they do enough to differentiate it from the Buick model (no repeat of the '99 Escalade, please). Toss some higher quality gauges and interior trim, more sculpted body panels and a creamier ride in it, and I think it would be a winner.

The CTS has long been marketed as a 5 series at a 3 series price, but that's led only to confusion. People think it's smaller than it is due to the size of the competitors in its class, so slotting a new "starting at $29,995" car below the CTS would more clearly define its role.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next CTS is growing a bit - and Cadillac is really going to line it up with the 5-Series. The price will probably go up a bit as well - and that'll make it very clear who the competition really is. Whatever this 3-Series competitor is, they really need to make it a winner. I don't think the current CTS design is attracting the kind of youthful buyers the 3-Series does for BMW. Cadillac needs to think of something different. You and I surely love the CTS - but I really don't think young people are very impressed with it.. Generally...

·
26,239 Posts
There's a lot of kids in the 08+ CTS forum, and a ton of them in the 03-07 forum. You didn't see that 5 years ago, so something's working.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure that HERE there are plenty of kids with these cars - but I never, ever, ever see them just riding around out on the street. If we're to expect them ANYWHERE, it's here... We need to see them - there.

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
Is this just a theory, or is their substantial evidence that supports this? It was my understanding, according to sources familiar with the XTS, that this vehicle was much larger in size and still noticeably larger than the current market CTS. Granted the drivetrain is what you have already specified, I wouldn't think it would target the ES Lexus as it would easy outclassed by the Cadillac.....

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Need I say more? What are your thoughts on this?

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is all hearsay at the moment. But for now, it's all we have. I "think" the sources have been correct more often than not in the past.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what does everybody think of the great possibility that the Cadillac XTS will also compete directly with the Buick LaCrosse (the new one)? Should Buick be aiming for the Lexus ES350?

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
I think the Cadillac XTS is already shaping up to be a failure.
If this rumored vehicle is the future of Cadillac it would have been better had GM allowed the brand to go out along with Pontiac. They finally straightened the brand out and now they want to take a giant step backwards. First no more Vs and now new large FWD platforms? I bet they're laughing their asses off in Munich.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the Cadillac XTS is already shaping up to be a failure.
If this rumored vehicle is the future of Cadillac it would have been better had GM allowed the brand to go out along with Pontiac. They finally straightened the brand out and now they want to take a giant step backwards. First no more Vs and now new large FWD platforms? I bet they're laughing their asses off in Munich.
I agree.. I do think there's time for a lot to change between now and 2012 - but if things stay the same, I'm really not liking where this is going. This car should be a Buick - and it is - it's a (yet-to-be-released) 2010 LaCrosse.. I'm not sure how well the Lincoln MKS is doing but I don't think people generally feel it's a good replacement for the Town Car. The XTS might be a decent replacement for the STS - but it's probably going to be underpowered. GM has a twin-turbo 3.6L DI laying around that gets 435 HP but I'm not sure if the rest of the drivetrain can handle that kind of power.

Here is the list of vehicles using the same Epsilon II platform:

2009 Buick Regal (China)
2009 Opel Insignia
2010 Buick LaCrosse
2010 Saab 9-5
2011 Cadillac XTS
2011 Buick Regal (U.S. Version)
2013 Chevrolet Impala

I just don't see how a Cadillac fits in with the rest...

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Cadillac is rapidly moving toward badge engineering with luxury cars sharing the same platforms and plants as mass-market brands. Ford is doing the same with the MKZ / Fusion, MKX / Edge, MKS / Taurus, MKT / Flex. I generally don't care for this. My MKZ looks too much like a Fusion. Granted, it was quite a bit cheaper than a similar CTS.

·
Registered
2004 CTS
239 Posts
I think the XTS could very well be the Chinese SLS. Think about it, its the STS extended a bit, so it'd also play in the DTS area.
That would be real nice. The SLS has always been the car Cadillac needs to show up its competitors in the E-segment market.

I'd also hope for styling that resembles a sleeker up-sized Sigma II CTS, but honestly I'll be happy with anything that's not built on a FWD platform.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I also think the SLS is a better platform for that size competition. The sigma is a good platform that can handle RWD, AWD, V6 and V8. If I were Cadillac, I would keep that platform to make something nice to compete in that segment. The SLS proves it can be big enough to also replace DTS. The current CTS proves it can be stylish enough.
That would at least be a better choice than throwing all out and design some kind of Cadillac on a new Epsilon II platform which apparently can only handle a V6! And then hope the people will buy it...

I just hope for Cadillac the XTS on E2 is a hoax! Or at least a mistake they take back before they really launch development on it.

·
26,239 Posts
Jalopnik is supposedly going to see the XTS concept in person tomorrow, as well as a new model available in both sedan AND coupe to compete with the 3 series.

http://jalopnik.com/5333978/cadillac-xts-is-the-new-stsdts

...and from Joel Feder's Twitter page:

First #Cadillac unveiled was #CTSsportwagon

Second #Cadillac unveiled was a small #3series fighter will be coupe & sedan. Wow! Great looking

Third #Cadillac unveiled was fullsize dts/sts replacement. Very big. Very hot!!
The plot thickens......

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I mentioned elsewhere, the XTS will be on a stretched and widened Buick LaCrosse platform that'll more than likely be able to fit a V8 - we're just not sure where this V8 is coming from.. It'll be RWD and about 200 inches long...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts