Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a rusted left rear brake line (steel line) in the rear section of the car. I did a replacement using a compression fitting (tried flaring but had leaky results). I stopped in my local Caddy dealer to inquire abour getting replacement line. The parts guy said that all GM offers is a roll of tubing, that I would have to bend, flare, etc. he said that GM no longer sells pre bent brake lines. Is this guy on crack, or is this accurate? I really would like to get pre bent lines to replace my repair. Although my repair is holding up beautifully, I would feel better with the right connections. Thanks

Don

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Well I had a rusted left rear brake line (steel line) in the rear section of the car. I did a replacement using a compression fitting (tried flaring but had leaky results). I stopped in my local Caddy dealer to inquire abour getting replacement line. The parts guy said that all GM offers is a roll of tubing, that I would have to bend, flare, etc. he said that GM no longer sells pre bent brake lines. Is this guy on crack, or is this accurate? I really would like to get pre bent lines to replace my repair. Although my repair is holding up beautifully, I would feel better with the right connections. Thanks

Don
I have never seen a prebent line
To become GM certified you must bend a line as part of the assessment.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen a prebent line
To become GM certified you must bend a line as part of the assessment.
I didn't know that. So any vehicle that comes in with brake line issues (which I would imagine is rare) has to be bent? Then why would GM even offer the lines if they are basically just what you can get at the auto store? Well that sucks for me.

Don

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
There are no preformed brake lines.

I had the rears done on my 93 Brougham a few years back and it costs me in excess of $500. I thought they were crazy too but it turned out that the dealer gave me the lowest price.

It's a lot of work to do it right and if rust is a factor it's no joy ride under there.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
There have been several lines available over time that are pre-formed. It is rare to need them in my rust free climate, but it has seemed hit and miss on years and models. One tech just flared and formed some lines on a damaged 99 Deville. It's not real easy or fun.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is not too hard if you have the right tools and a little experience.

We have a new forming tool, it looks like this.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAS-71475.html
As you can see it is not cheap either.

Yes, the tubing comes in rolls, you have to straighten it and shape it to fit the application and do the flares on each end of the pipe.
There are 2 types of flares GM uses, an ISO flare and a double flare.
If you don't know which is which, then you shouldn't be doing it.
Compression fittings are not an acceptable brake line repair. You can install a double flare coupler instead of replacing an entire line, but if the lines are that bad you usually need to replace them anyway.

I haven't seen many guys that are really good at fabricating brake lines, but most can do it well enough.
I still have the one that I made in GM training. After all the stress I went through I made him let me keep it.
In fact it is right here in my desk! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy crap! I have rust on all of my brake lines of all the cars, but I don't know how to tell if it's bad enough to fix. Wondering If I should take a wire brush and get it off first?
Surface rust looks different than rust through. The rust on my lines was so bad it was building up and flaking off. Surface rust for the most part is harmless. Just keep an eye on it every so often to make sure it doesn't get worse. If your brake lines look like a body rotted car, replace them. If it looks like your brake rotors after a rain storm, do not be alarmed.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, unless I can find a new set of lines, I am considering the repair done. I have used compression unions (I have just used the term fitting in the past) on vehicles before and have never had an issue. The repair is tight and leak free. I have had my foot trying to break the brake pedal, and it holds up fine. It is a repair that I will probably check on whenever i am around back there, but otherwise, she's done.

Don

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Usually a small leak will appear before a line totally fails unless there is an external mechanical force.
They will all look rusty after a while, but when chunks are falling off, start thinking about whether or not you really want to keep the car.
;)

This picture is a compression fitting, this is unsafe in a brake system.
I'll see if I can find a picture of a real repair coupler later.

Attachments

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
I am in California, so rust isn't as much as an issue ( sea salt? It could be an issue?)

I replaced all my brake lines on my GMC truck with flexible steel braided lines, with ease.

Why not use them? They don't expand are not expensive.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You replaced the hoses, not the lines.
He is talking about the metal pipes that carry the fluid from the abs unit or master cyilnder to the hoses that you replaced.
They corrode, especially in salted road country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts