Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caddilac STS vs. Impalla SS good vs evil black vs white

Alright gentelman. So m just some kid with good taste (poor farm boy wanting rich man life) so i get a job at a bank and a credit card..Along with 1994 pearl white cadillac STS and go to college down south FAU its a good life anyway my buddy has a 1995 Impalla SS suspentsion and exaust were both getto so systems blaring and all.So we take them down to 7 mile road out on loxahache and set up 4 mile run to the end and back at steak handel of rum and suit case of beer. To a drinkers thas a gran prize. Anyway all our buddies are at the turn around point feeding the gators we take off.. .Bang off the line he has me the caddie by 3 car links till about 120 m/ph where I proceed to waste him approaching 145. Him behind me just headlights in the dark.. anyway as we approach the end I slow down... The turn around point is gravel.. well he flies by me hits the gravel I see his entire care spin out slam in to concrete post launching him into the air and folds his car in 2 pieces passenger would have been dead.. Along I come and hit the gravel still a little to fast out of control until my traction control kicked in and saved as much as i don't like the front wheel drive and traction control I praise it to this day . . well needless to say I won.. Man did we all get drunk.. we blamed it on a fox running out infront of his car which worked out ok in the end. But that was the day The Caddie slayed the Impala no more...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Caddilac STS vs. Impalla SS good vs evil black vs white

xxxaxel said:
Alright gentelman. So m just some kid with good taste (poor farm boy wanting rich man life) so i get a job at a bank and a credit card..Along with 1994 pearl white cadillac STS and go to college down south FAU its a good life anyway my buddy has a 1995 Impalla SS suspentsion and exaust were both getto so systems blaring and all.So we take them down to 7 mile road out on loxahache and set up 4 mile run to the end and back at steak handel of rum and suit case of beer. To a drinkers thas a gran prize. Anyway all our buddies are at the turn around point feeding the gators we take off.. .Bang off the line he has me the caddie by 3 car links till about 120 m/ph where I proceed to waste him approaching 145. Him behind me just headlights in the dark.. anyway as we approach the end I slow down... The turn around point is gravel.. well he flies by me hits the gravel I see his entire care spin out slam in to concrete post launching him into the air and folds his car in 2 pieces passenger would have been dead.. Along I come and hit the gravel still a little to fast out of control until my traction control kicked in and saved as much as i don't like the front wheel drive and traction control I praise it to this day . . well needless to say I won.. Man did we all get drunk.. we blamed it on a fox running out infront of his car which worked out ok in the end. But that was the day The Caddie slayed the Impala no more...
:histeric: WHAT?!! OK, first things first - are you just visiting America or do you plan on being here for an extended period of time? Because if you plan on moving here, you're gonna have to get better at the language. You've got a good start, though, so don't give up. Second, if you lost to a 95 SS with only an exhaust, you either don't know how to drive your car or there is something electrically or mechanically wrong with it. You should have chewed him up all the way through the power band of every gear (if you took off in second). If you just started off in overdrive I could believe him getting MAYBE a half a car length if you had a bad launch (and I'm really suspending my disbelief here) but you'd catch and pass him real fast. If the race was 4 miles long, you should have beaten him by better than a half a mile. Third, who in their right mind races to a gravel finish line. Fourth, the guy in the Impala almost kills himself and trashes his car and A FEW BEERS makes it "ok"?!! :rolleyes2 I'm not buying it. Anyone else see plot holes in this story?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Re: Caddilac STS vs. Impalla SS good vs evil black vs white

xxxaxel said:

Did this happen before or after the pigs flew out of your ass?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take offense to that

Wow you guys really have your egos cut out for you with these cars I didn't exactly floor it off the line i'm easy on my baby besides it has bunch of miles on it. Either way thats what happend I don't understand why thats so hard to beleive. Oh well your all old. Haahahha sorry thats all I had in my defense. Take no offense to this either way I got problems with my car now so thats all i'm bout worried with.

·
Registered
377 Posts
did you turn off the traction?? that would make you start in second gear

is he ok?? hope he has full coverage if he's ok

no offense, but you car must be in pretty rough shape, unless you turned off traction control on the launch, you should run high 14's to his mid 15, a faster 0-60 too. maybe he had new gears? then it would probably go down like that.

any pics?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Z rated option will do well over 150MPH.... BUT this is the most foolish thing I have heard... Racing is great, but not how you guys are doing it.... Be carefull and glad no one was hurt..... I could have saved you both the time,effort, and his car and told you that its going to take a pretty heavy modded impala SS wit heiter a stroked engine, blower or NOS to beat an STS... I really dont even see how he got you off the line... Must have been the beer driving...

burekv said:
I thought the STS had a top speed limit of 130 mph. Am i wrong cause i have never driven mine over 120.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Damn if you guys were trashing a car and buying a caddy and not worrying too much about it, you should really lay of the drugs/drug dealing. I know it rakes in a lot of cash, but it messes up your mind.

·
Registered
377 Posts
no offense Utra slow, but i think your giving a stock STS a little bit to much credit. impalla SS's are very easy to make very fast. most sts's run in the high 14, some very low 15 seconds, from what ive seen from track results. on the other hand ive driven 2 94 sts's, both were quick, also drove 2 eldorado's. again both were quick, but 1 of them, a 93 ETC with about 173,xxx miles flew like no other car, this thing just screamed and accelerated much faster than the other three (they were all northstar powered, no 4.9's). musta been a freak, bet that thing could do mid 14's with 173k!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ultra Slow said:
The Z rated option will do well over 150MPH.... BUT this is the most foolish thing I have heard... Racing is great, but not how you guys are doing it.... Be carefull and glad no one was hurt..... I could have saved you both the time,effort, and his car and told you that its going to take a pretty heavy modded impala SS wit heiter a stroked engine, blower or NOS to beat an STS......
i'll tell you right now that am impala ss with a few of the common bolt-ons will run equal to or beat an sts......the sts is a fast and beautiful car.....but it's not that fast and it's a different kind of fast, dohc compared to pushrod motor......my ss will beat the tar out of it to the tune of 12.90's in the 1/4 on the factory short block and no power adders.

Ultra Slow said:
I really dont even see how he got you off the line... Must have been the beer driving......
1 word....torque!! 330 ft lbs to be exact.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a good argument, but I would wager this every time.... I know this quite well because I had a 96 SS.... I had a 95 Brougham, and just sold my 96 Brougham to get another that is coming. Without putting sticky tires, MANY MANY MANY bolt ons, there is absoluty no way an impala SS will hang with an STS, and even with those bolt ons, there will be some point in a race that the STS comes flying by the SS. I tried my heart out too and gave up before I tore the engine out. So many people have been down this road with these Impalas, all to usually be broken hearted.

You MIGHT be able to get the car in the low to flat 14 second range with headers, full exhaust, 3:73's, sticky tires, open air intake, and a handfull of other common mods, and this would beat the STS in the 1/4 mile only....... Look what you had to do and what if you did the same thing to the STS?...... In my experience, its simply NOT worth it on the SS.... Fact is also that modded SS's are pretty much not worth a whole lot unless they are some nationally recognised car with a ZZ572, 6 speed and all that going for it to pull off a low 12..... Stock ones are however worth decen money... It would make more since to keep the car original, buy yourself something that is not 4000LBS, and race it.

00 STS said:
i'll tell you right now that am impala ss with a few of the common bolt-ons will run equal to or beat an sts......the sts is a fast and beautiful car.....but it's not that fast and it's a different kind of fast, dohc compared to pushrod motor......my ss will beat the tar out of it to the tune of 12.90's in the 1/4 on the factory short block and no power adders.

1 word....torque!! 330 ft lbs to be exact.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'm a caddy fan, but even I will say, you guys are giving the STS too much credit, and the SS Impie not enough. The LT1, powered bubble will move down the track in low 15's high 14's. Buddy with a 9c1, which is heavier, but LT1 powered, he has CAI, guteed exhaust, and 140k miles on it. The extra meat he tossed in back took him to a 14.6 reliably. Even starting in 2nd gear, he ran a 16.0 on the 1/4. The STS isn't much faster folks, sorry. High end, it would probably pull harder than the Imp, but even then, I dunno. The LT1 is a stout motor with some pretty big balls. As for the sheer level of stupidity these two displayed in their street racing, I'm actually a bit disappointed they survived. I'm afraid of these 2 passing their genes on.
And someone said they didn't see how the Imp got the STS off the line? Not to be rude, but if the Imp doesn't crush the STS off the line, then the guy can't drive. I use my buddy's 9c1 as the example. He has a 1.9 60' time. I launch the ever loving shit out of my car, and a 2.2 or 2.3 is the best I've managed. I have actually yet to see anyone with a Northstar caddy pull a faster 60' time than mine, though that is from memory on GMForums. If someone has managed to out launch me, I'll rescind my comment there, though a.... (looked at my sheet) 2.236 is my fastest. I remember that one too. The Bridgestones healthy, freshly flamed track, and cold night. And it's not so much the amt of torque only, it also comes down to the location of that torque (330 at 3200 I think) vs the 295 at 4200 I know in the STS, and FWD vs RWD. Despite what many import drivers try to say, RWD can provide a harder launch than FWD. No questions asked. Look at top fuel dragsters, and see that the fastest ones are rear wheel. Physics at work there. When launching, the weight of the car gets forced down and back, driving the rear tires into the pavement, and lifting the front. Drive tires in the rear are better there obviously.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i agree, little bit to much credit to the sts's, but a stock impalla ss shouldn't pull 3 car lengths on a sts off the line, at the most, 1/2-1, and he should catch and pass that SS by 60. RWD may be better but fwd is easier to launch with all that weight on top of the tires.

there both sweet cars, can't say the same about the insides of the SS's though.....roomy, but yuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
the 2 guys aside, because they are just about morons; i've been into the impala scene for about 4 years now. i'll agree with you that a heavily modded SS is not worth as much as a bone stock one, but i've noticed lately that a low mileage piece in excellent condition is difficult to find for under 20k. i didn't buy my SS to stay factory. however, the quality of the work done and the fact that the LT4 looks like it came from the factory will, in my opinion, keep some of that value. as far as the racing aspect goes, the fastest bolt-on impala now sits at 12.77 and that's bolt-ons only, stock heads, cam, short block. i think that racing a 4000lb+ car and running times in the sub 12 second range on a small block is a feat and that's why i bought my impala. i don't think that if i spent the same amount of money on the northstar that it would run comparably. it'll take alot more cash to get it to where my impala is now. although, i wouldn't mind if my STS had a lopey flowmaster idle like my impy though:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dubya said:
there both sweet cars, can't say the same about the insides of the SS's though.....roomy, but yuck
yeah, not the highest quality.....but you wont feel bad putting a roll cage in it if you have too.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
I'm afraid of these 2 passing their genes on.

These two will probably not be passing their genes on to anything but their hand. ( I don't think the race even happened )

·
Registered
135 Posts
These are all very good arguments, and this is no discredit to the impala SS. In fact, if you have read my posts before, ir seen my site, you will understand that I like the RWD cars much better than the front dragging STS. In fact I have a 12 second full size car.... It just is not a chevy engine.... There are exceptions to every rule no doubt, and the small block/LT1/LT4 and new Ls1/Ls6 definatly have more performance upgrades than make them run better than any nortstar that is just a factory untouched car.

The main argument is that it take quite a bit to make a PROPERLY DRIVEN SS run with a PROPERLY DRIVEN STS (a properly driven STS is harder to find over a properly drven SS too). Thats my experincel. I am sure everyone knows sombody's, brothers, cousins, friends, uncle that has a car that is the fastest SS on earth that can make a carraige top'd 170K mile STS look stupid, but unless you have actually been down this road, you wont understand until you do all this and learn it all the hard way.... I did just this, and why do you think I have an STS????? I had an SS before it..

As I said, I have owned many 94-96 Lt1 cars INCLUDING a 9C1 5.7 poilice car.... No way... It cant do it either.... The CLOSEST thing you are going to get stock to stock, is the V4P trailering car in the roadmaster/Brougham with some 3:42 gears and all the good stuff... This will beat the SS in acceleration, but not the STS.

Like I said, there are exceptions to every rule, unfortunalty my experience with the SS/LT1 cars is to leave them alone as is just not worth the performance gains you will get with the reliability and value you are trashing from the car to do it. You efforts would be much more rewarded in other cars... I love thse type cars... Why do you think I have a Brougham with a 500CID cadillac engine... Now this runs, and the efforts were 1/10th of what I put into an SS to be well over 1 second slower... The costs were also about 1/3... No headers or bolt ons needed on this car.... This is what I mean by your efforst might be better in another project...

·
Registered
58 Posts
i understand what you are saying.....it's all in what YOU are looking for. that's also why i bought an STS. i just think that the SS for what it's worth is a very bad ass car that has lots of potential......and no matter what kind of car you are modding, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go. i'm quite happy where my SS is right now and to retain the original value, all factory parts have been saved and can be easily swapped back if necessary. who knows what 20 years from now the value of those cars will be. i'm having fun with it now and if you saw it, you wouldn't even know it wasn't stock from appearence. but, that's also why i have a 95 Z...to thrash into the 9's. who cares about a car that's a dime a dozen. to each his own and that's ok with me. maybe sometime we can line up your STS and my SS:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am right there with you.. Its great to own both for sure... I really always have owned both myself, I just kind of switched from the SS to the Brougham over the past few years for a driver as the Broughams are dirt in value.

There is no doubt the SS is a great car and has decent potential within reason, but its far away from a "race car", and that it will never be. So many owners have some delusions of grandeur on this, thus the point of my post. I have been to a bunch Impala meets in my days... Always fun and a great crowd, but there is always a big group of the guys that always talk about how fast the SS cars are. They talk about all their mods, down to headers, cams, etc, done this that and the other to the cars, but really have never raced them. Once you put up a challange in a car like an STS, or any other mid 14 second bone stock car , and beat them, they are always claiming your have NOS, or something along those lines... This is never the case and many of the owners just dont understand that the car is a 15+ second car as it sits stock and adding 50 more actual HP (that is not easy), really only brings it to the mid-high 14 area at a MPH that might match the STS or cars like it.

In reality, there are more "average" cars on the road today that will outrun a stock of simi stock SS than not... Some of those cars may surpries you and the owners of the SS will always say... "NO WAY" as we have seen some examples here, but if you keep up with the way cars actually preform, and actually want to find out for yourself, this is unfortunatly the way it is... One case and point example,...... a new 5.3 liter dirt stripped Chevy WT optioned pickup with the towing package, sold out the door for 17,999 + TTL.... If you have a stock or simi-stock SS, you may just have your day ruined by one of these with a mower and couple of workers in the back of it, should you get in a race with him.... Dont believe me, go find out on your own....

The list of simi fast average cars goes on and on as the average cars are low 15's and high 14's now, the performance cars are all low 14's and down in the mid 12's as with Zo6's and E55 mercedes.... They just keep getting faster all the time! I thought my "King of the hill", low 12, 191MPH 360RWHP Corvette ZR1 would never be outdone in the next 20 years by an factory car, short of a factory race car.... Boy was I wrong...... Today, a 4 door S600, will give it a fair run now... The S600 is 4800LBS! With this in mind, the SS does have a chance, but all you need is 485HP and 580FTLBS to the GROUND, as these cars are pretty much rated using a V12 twin turbo, right off the showroom floor... The AMG65 is now 580HP and 700FT LBS... Its in the 11's at 128MPH! Its avalible on that same 4 door sedan!

Having the weight the SS does and the extremely large frontal area (the large frontal area is something that most people do not factor in when building a car that really limits the car over its weight,... and do not be confused with drag coef.), it takes about 500HP and 600FT LBS to the GROUND to make a car the size and weight of the SS to perform along the lines of a corvette putting 360HP/360FTLBS to the ground. I am counting acceleration and top speed..... You Got to have both to have a REAL car, and just 1/4 miles times are not cutting it anymore...

Being that the SS is 300HP, that is alot to overcome, and 600HP does not come cheap or easy to put in the car with the original configuration it has.. The car either has to be run on serious power adders, of which its reliability is GONE, or to do it correctly, the entire LT1 configuration has to go bye bye, and a motor like a ZZ572 with a 4L80 needs to be put in its place... You would have a good chance, but at what sacrifice, thus my saying that your efforts are better somewhere else.... It might actually be cheaper to just buy that S600 sedan, and its already done for you.... You have your very large 4 door car that will run in the 12's at 118MPH with the window sticker on it!

As the way the car sits, its kind of like having a one legged man wanting to run track in the summer olympics against the fast guys... Even though he has been trained as well as he can, has the best equipment as possible, and is considered the fastest one leg guy on earth, it would best for him to stick with the cards he was delt as I dont think he would fair too well in the competition should he go after guys with two legs.... The SS is about as handicapped as a car can get if your goal is all out performance to compete with the cars I know so many SS owners want to.

The SS is definatly a great to mod these cars withing reason. I always do minor things myself as I will on my next LT1 Brougham. As long as you dont go overboard, its easy to make them stock again and some minor mods are even a value enhancment in many cases on the SS...

I can definatly say for sure that one thing will always hold true..... An untouched, unmodified, low mile Impala SS will be worth WAY more than a modded one. That same low mile unmodified SS will definatly be worth more than any of my cadillacs I have now, dollar per dollar... Cadillac resale is a JOKE, and its time for a change, but that is another subject....

The value of the SS is really what makes the car a great car as you can usually buy one, and as long as you dont go nuts on mods or put too many miles on it, you will get your money back and even plus some! They do have a great following and it is a great driving and performing car within its class.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
17 Participants
gothicaleigh