Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
There are Chinese V12s?

Ferrari does still have the 12 in the F12berlinetta (I hate the name of this car oh-so-much) and the LaFerrari I suppose.

Not sure about RR either. All they make now are the Ghost and Wraith, which are touted up BMW 7-series. Eh.
No they still make the big Phantom in sedan, coupe and convertible. Although I believe its a BMW V12 under the hood in those as well. There was a proposal to do a V16 in the Phantom, but the idea was dropped.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
With all the V-12's available today, a V-16 would have made a real statement. Unfortunately GM management didn't realize that there is actually a market for a car like that from Cadillac. Unlike the 1957 Eldorado Brougham, that fared so poorly against the Continental Mark II, the Sixteen has sophisticated styling that appeals to the truly wealthy set. Would they have made money on the Sixteen, probably not. But considering the amount Cadillac has spent on worthless advertising, the press coverage and prestige the Sixteen would have garnered from the right ownership and being seen in places where Cadillacs once were often seen (instead of Mercedes) would have had very real marketing value.

Also a shame because Cadillac is especially known of recent past for um, questionable engine designing skills.

From the initial flap over Chevy and Old engines being slipped into Cadillacs in the 80's, to the HT4100, and then the earliest Northstars, they could use some good engine cred.

On the other hand it could have just had bigger head gaskets to be replaced, and they would just be standing on their Johnson's again.

I think by 2003 they had their "stuff' together enough to have knocked it out of the park, and missed the chance.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,428 Posts
Also a shame because Cadillac is especially known of recent past for um, questionable engine designing skills.

From the initial flap over Chevy and Old engines being slipped into Cadillacs in the 80's, to the HT4100, and then the earliest Northstars, they could use some good engine cred.

On the other hand it could have just had bigger head gaskets to be replaced, and they would just be standing on their Johnson's again.

I think by 2003 they had their "stuff' together enough to have knocked it out of the park, and missed the chance.
That would have been a huge boost. Sigh.

Part of their problem is the horrible reputation the Northstar gets. I love all the morons at the parts store I have worked with - "Have you had to stud it yet?"

NO. And have you driven one? It would cream your half ton noisemaker. Morons.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
That is one awesome piece of automotive engineering. Had I the money... Damn straight I'd be in one. That is a modern version of our Cadillac memories... Jesda is correct though... Caddy's like this are unattainable to probably 98% of America. That's what makes it a real Cadillac.

So where is it now? And in the build video it looked like they had a completed car and working on another. Were there two? Or more?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
There is only one.

It resides in the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

I saw it in person last January, and it's imposing as hell.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Not open to the public, unfortunately. Sometimes available for special events/business gatherings - or if you know somebody who knows somebody.

The Ciel is there, too. Equally gorgeous.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I second that!

Do not miss an opportunity to see and touch those two should you have the chance.
World Class automobiles for sure. :cloud9:

They were both at the CLC Museum opening, and while I count being able to meet Bob Lutz and shake his hand there, as the high point of my life, hanging all over those two was a close second. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Dude.

I would love to meet Maximum Bob. I'd give him the biggest high five imaginable.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
He was surrounded in the museum, but I went out to the ally between the Lincoln and Cadillac buildings for a cigar and here he comes walking with his female guest.
So I dropped the cigar and walked up and did my best impression of a "star struck" eight-year-old.:bouncy:

:bigroll:....it always sounds so much better in your head...:banghead:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts