Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 deville sedan and I was wondering where can I find a rim key to unlock the hubcaps off my car. Any price doesn't matter I tried ebay no lock let me know thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
There are two or three different patterns, depending on the year. They are also color coded. Find out from dealer what color tool you need. I have several; they are plastic. I can send you one if I have the right one.

If I can find them in my junk, I believe that I have a black one, a gray one, and a green one. Diff colors for diff years???

PM me.

Ed

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
You could drill out the rivets and take off enough of the hubcap to get at the nut with a vice grips. Youll have to rerivet the thing back together but you then can replace the keyed nuts with a standard lock nut.

I also have a green key but mine is metal. You have little metal nuts right?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You could drill out the rivets and take off enough of the hubcap to get at the nut with a vice grips. Youll have to rerivet the thing back together but you then can replace the keyed nuts with a standard lock nut.

I also have a green key but mine is metal. You have little metal nuts right?
My wife says "Heck, no."

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1986 cadillac deville sedan. I also have a 1987 cadillac Deville sedan also. Will one key fit them both or I have to have different ones. Also where do I buy them at. If not the dealership . Thanks

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
These keys were different from year to year and also different from at least 2 different vendors supplying the locks to GM. If I recall there were at least 8 different color codes or designs for each year! Find a socket that you can easily waste and J B weld it to the lock bolt head. Then insert a ratchet on the socket and simply remove it. Once removed, replace the special lock bolt with a button head allen bolt and keep the allen wrench hidden in your car! Sometimes you can get lucky and find a master set of lock tools in a dealership thats been around before your car was sold new and pay them to remove your locks, then as said above, replace the lock bolts with another type.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my hubcaps they have rings (half circles) around the part where the key is suppose to go. Could I just use a regular nut and washer to secure them

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
You can use a regular nut, yes. There's nothing special about the assembly other than the lock nut.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at my hubcap locks and I noticed that the part where the key goes they are all marked green . Could that mean that the key that matches the rim is green coded I will post pics later today if that is needed for help. Thanks again

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Yes, the lock key would be coded green as well!The wrench will have a green band around it.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Just FYI, when I had my air struts changed I forgot the lock key and the mechanic said "no problem" and used some angled needle nose pliers to get the nut off. Seemed to go pretty fast too.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
I looked at my hubcap locks and I noticed that the part where the key goes they are all marked green . Could that mean that the key that matches the rim is green coded I will post pics later today if that is needed for help. Thanks again
Yep, the wrench will be the metal one that is marked green on the end of it. I think I have that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts