Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Creature
2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Plants/Manufacturing, Cadillac

The days of Cadillac's big DTS sedan are numbered as the plant that builds it will soon be shut down and re-tooled. The Detroit Hamtramck assembly plant that builds the DTS and Buick Lucerne will switch over to building the Chevy Volt in 2010 and the current products are both long in the tooth.

The National Post is reporting that the new Cadillac flagship will be dubbed XTS and will be produced at the Oshawa assembly plant. It will be built alongside an updated Chevrolet Impala, the new Camaro and the Buick Regal. The DTS is a front-wheel drive car, but the XTS is expected to the share the Epsilon II platform with the Regal and the new Impala. As such, it will likely get all-wheel-drive at least as an option. For its part, the Regal will likely be a re-badged version of the Opel Insignia. The report goes on to say that Oshawa will produce a hybrid version of one of those offerings - a gas-electric Regal model is a reasonable bet.

Earlier reports had pegged the next Cadillac sedan as a model that would supplant both the DTS and the slow-selling STS, and although the NatPost article does not speak to this, it is reasonable to assume that the new XTS will result in the phase-out of both model lines. The new model line was reportedly put on hold back in August of last year, but it apparently has once again been given the go-ahead.

The XTS is scheduled to be launched in December 2011, with the new Impala coming in early 2013. Thanks to Ben for the tip!

[Source: The National Post]REPORT: Cadillac DTS to be replaced by XTS, which will be built in Canada alongside new Buick Regal originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
the XTS is expected to the share the Epsilon II platform with the Regal and the new Impala. As such, it will likely get all-wheel-drive at least as an option. For its part, the Regal will likely be a re-badged version of the Opel Insignia
I'm confused.

The Opel Insiginia is slightly shorter than the Cadillac CTS, so how can the XTS be larger than the CTS if it's based on the Regal platform which is a rebadged Insignia?

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I believe this is the same platform as the 2010 Buick LaCrosse in the U.S.

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
The new LaCrosse is not bad at all, on paper. I considered it a possibile alternative when I was shopping for an STS, but they weren't yet available. Unfortunately, I accidentally test-drove a CTS-V and that changed my plans altogether.

·
Registered
09 DTS
16 Posts
Glad I just traded my 05 STS for a 09 DTS. If a mid size car is all they are going to produce , another American icon goes down the drain. The same car with a Buick. Chevy or Caddy badge. GM tried this a few times before and it didn't work. Who is the wizz kid that thinks it will work this time?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've been predicting this move for a while. Despite what the auto enthusiast press and forum members say, most American drivers want FWD. They're convinced that FWD has better traction than RWD and AWD is desireable in northern climates. They have come to expect and tolerate understeer and are scared of oversteer. I work with a dyed-in-the-wool DeVille owner whose brother owns a new STS. He said he didn't like the way the STS drove, but he couldn't really say why. I asked if he realized that the STS was RWD. He replied something like "Why would anyone do that?"

What worries me is the quality of this new car. Lincoln launched the MKS last summer, building it in the same Chicago plant as the high volume Taurus. This year, Lincoln dropped something like 26 places in the J.D. Power survey - supposedly due to MKS quality problems.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,100 Posts
How do you finarkey an FWD car with a sidewinder motor into an AWD; some kind of crazy right angle drive?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
How do you finarkey an FWD car with a sidewinder motor into an AWD; some kind of crazy right angle drive?
It's all in how you twist the rubber band. Some systems are fulltime AWD while others are FWD that only engage AWD when wheel slip is detected. I believe the system on my MKZ functions like fulltime AWD at low speeds and reverts to FWD at highway speeds.

Some FWD/AWD configurations don't allow you to pair AWD with more powerful engine options. (Think Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe.) The 2010 LaCrosse is like this, offering only the 3L engine on AWD units rather than the 3.6L engine. On the other hand, the 2010 MKS with the optional 340HP ecotec engine requires AWD.

BTW, I hate the name XTS.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Someone at GMINSIDE mentioned the XTS will be Theta-Epsilon II like the SRX, so it will be AWD as well.
I think this is very plausible and I salute this development.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
+1 for hating the XTS designation.

It screams "X-TREME Touring Sedan."

·
Registered
None
11 Posts
The SRX is FWD with available AWD. Also with AWD the front wheels do most of the propulsion except under heavy acceleration. Makes the car more efficient. There are a lot of cars like this, the Evo is one. Its system is based on a FWD with a transverse mounted engine. I really hope the this isn't true though. I really want a new flagship that can go agaisnt the the 7, S, 8, XJ, etc. etc. It has to be RWD and AWD with a strong 6 and available DI VVT V8. I don't care if they use the Gen5 V8's that are supposed to be in development for the new Corvette. I really hope they don't drop the ball, they have been doing so well.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
The SRX is FWD with available AWD. Also with AWD the front wheels do most of the propulsion except under heavy acceleration. Makes the car more efficient. There are a lot of cars like this, the Evo is one. Its system is based on a FWD with a transverse mounted engine. I really hope the this isn't true though. I really want a new flagship that can go agaisnt the the 7, S, 8, XJ, etc. etc. It has to be RWD and AWD with a strong 6 and available DI VVT V8. I don't care if they use the Gen5 V8's that are supposed to be in development for the new Corvette. I really hope they don't drop the ball, they have been doing so well.
How about it will just fulfill to be a true Cadillac? How about a Cadillac that just doesn't care about 7, S, 8, XJ, A8, whatever? How about a car with a comfortable size and driving characteristics, an engine that makes the ride smooth? How about a service that makes you happy, whatever happens? How about a sales that makes you feel special in stead of under pressure to buy?

I think people are just getting too focussed on the 'competition'. I think GM and Cadillac need to grow up and have fun in designing cars. And express and share the passion with the customers by treating them special as well.

I just visited an Infinity dealer and MAN, what a difference! The best about Infinity is, is that they don't talk about other brands as 'competitors'. They just focuss on what you like and see if they can fullfill your needs with one of their models. Meanwhile they offer one of the best services you can get. Wow, you just feel so comfortable and special.

Imagine a dealer that is trying to overwelm you with facts and how much better this brand and/or model is compared to others; blah blah. Now compare it to a dealer that just welcomes you with a nice coffee and he really listens to you about what you like and what you need. He lets you talk and ask and he answers. And he asks about how this brand or model could satisfy you. He is even honest to tell you he doesn't have what you are looking for.
Now, the service is free for 3 years or up to 64K miles and they always offer free alternative transport in case you get stranded. Even if you drive another car (like a replacement of AAA)!

See, that just makes me care a lot less about an inch, a galon, a mile, a dollar, a horse more or less.

I just read the national survey on which brand the customers are the happiest with in Germany: NOT BMW, NOT Mercedes Benz, NOT Audi, NOT VW!

Number 1 is Subaru
Number 2 Lexus
Number 3 Jaguar
Number 4 is Honda

BMW is at 15th
Mercedes is at 21st

And behold, Opel is at 26, above VW at 28. Audi is at 16th place.

How about that?

·
Registered
None
11 Posts
I just want them to build a great car. I want a full size car that is a drivers car, powerful, smooth delivery, taught handling, nice turn-in, maybe a little oversteer, all the future technologies, nimble, solidly built, erases bumps and holes in the road, and has an interior that's just gorgeous. nice materials, nice layout, a pleasant place to be.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts