Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Creature
2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filed under: Design/Style, Cadillac, Sedan, Luxury, Performance
During an online Q&A with Jalopnik readers, Cadillac CEO Johan de Nysschen threw more light on the future of the brand and the CT6. Eventually, the engine bay in the new flagship sedan will boast "a very wide mix of engines, starting with a 2-liter turbo, up to, eventually, a high-performance advanced V-8 turbo."Continue reading Cadillac CT6 to get twin-turbo V8
Cadillac CT6 to get twin-turbo V8 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
[h=6][/h]Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
A twin turbo V8 is probably a cool marketing tool . My preference is to buy is a naturally aspirated engine with enough displacement.

The 5 liter Northstar was perfect,my 4.6 is just adaquate .

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I guess this is the 4.5L TT from the Elmiraj?

As long as it also runs on regular gas instead of premium only it is good to go.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
I havnt found any information on this twin turbo V8 engine . Anyone know if it's a new design or a variation of cadillacs northstar, chevrolets small block corvette or something else ?

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
Thank You for the link,reading about the turbo 6 planned for this car just convinced me its a car I really dont want .
In world history of automobiles only 3 car companys produced V16s ! cadillac made 2 of the 3 !
IMO luxury cars are powered with 8,10,12 or 16 cylinder engines.
The Lexus 460 will probably replace my DTS when the time comes. Too bad as Ive always bought new GM cars .

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Thank You for the link,reading about the turbo 6 planned for this car just convinced me its a car I really dont want .
In world history of automobiles only 3 car companys produced V16s ! cadillac made 2 of the 3 !
IMO luxury cars are powered with 8,10,12 or 16 cylinder engines.
The Lexus 460 will probably replace my DTS when the time comes. Too bad as Ive always bought new GM cars .
Yeah, too bad. Oh well. See ya later!

·
Registered
Cadillacs Deville, soon to be Omega or Ciel.
61 Posts
I am in the same boat as others here. A twin turbo is great marketing, but I dont want the headache of maintaining turbos. A naturally aspirated engine is
the only option I would consider and its going to be a V8. I really loved the northstar, and also have no issue with the current V8 used in the corvette.

I really want to like this car, but I question if it will be a true full size or another XTS sized car with turbo engines for the export market?

I sure hope Cadillac understands in the US market the V8 rules the luxury market still. An example is the new Suburban series with the V8 VS the Ford Expediciton with a turbo V6. Both came out at the same time, and they can not build enough suburbans to keep up with demand and I see more than any other new car, yet I have only seen one new expedition. I think for most it comes down to the engine and nothing last longer than a v8 in a luxury car.

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
I am in the same boat as others here. A twin turbo is great marketing, but I dont want the headache of maintaining turbos. A naturally aspirated engine is
the only option I would consider and its going to be a V8. I really loved the northstar, and also have no issue with the current V8 used in the corvette.

I really want to like this car, but I question if it will be a true full size or another XTS sized car with turbo engines for the export market?

I sure hope Cadillac understands in the US market the V8 rules the luxury market still. An example is the new Suburban series with the V8 VS the Ford Expediciton with a turbo V6. Both came out at the same time, and they can not build enough suburbans to keep up with demand and I see more than any other new car, yet I have only seen one new expedition. I think for most it comes down to the engine and nothing last longer than a v8 in a luxury car.

I read a story about Cadillac making a really neat V16 that has cylinder cutoffs and got great gas milage when driven in a normal mode.
IMO building and showing the car with this engine while offering other engines could go along way to establishing Cadillac as the worlds standard.

Years past I heard a story about how Briggs Cunningham had a cadillac sent to europe. It was reported those who had access to the car,drained the battery by playing with the electric windows. apperently europeans had no cars with electric windows.
Compare that type mentality with the flagships of today XTS. Which is a nice car but nothing special .

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts

Yet, Ford has built its 5 MILLIONTH EcoBoost motor. Turbos aren't a novelty. It's to maximize efficiency RATINGS. Real world may be different. But EPA standards aren't changing for the lesser anytime soon. Trucks are not cars....

----------

I read a story about Cadillac making a really neat V16 that has cylinder cutoffs and got great gas milage when driven in a normal mode.
IMO building and showing the car with this engine while offering other engines could go along way to establishing Cadillac as the worlds standard.

Years past I heard a story about how Briggs Cunningham had a cadillac sent to europe. It was reported those who had access to the car,drained the battery by playing with the electric windows. apperently europeans had no cars with electric windows.
Compare that type mentality with the flagships of today XTS. Which is a nice car but nothing special .
Great gas mileage? For a V16, maybe. Cylinder deactivation slows fuel consumption but there's a whole lot more efficiency loss than a lesser sized/cylinder count engine.

And the XTS was never a flagship. It was a stopgap. And, potentially, the key to poor people driving Cadillacs once the Omegas come...

·
Registered
Cadillacs Deville, soon to be Omega or Ciel.
61 Posts
What they are finding with those ecoboost motors is they are not really all they are cracked up to be. I want to see how they hold up over the long term. I have been around a long time and seen the promise of turbos many times before.

In the end they never last. A good Cadillac can easily last 15 years and some much longer. I am amazed at how well the mid 90s devilles have held up. I see no other car except Corvettes and small Mercedes that have held up that well from the 90s.

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
Yet, Ford has built its 5 MILLIONTH EcoBoost motor. Turbos aren't a novelty. It's to maximize efficiency RATINGS. Real world may be different. But EPA standards aren't changing for the lesser anytime soon. Trucks are not cars....

----------

Great gas mileage? For a V16, maybe. Cylinder deactivation slows fuel consumption but there's a whole lot more efficiency loss than a lesser sized/cylinder count engine.

And the XTS was never a flagship. It was a stopgap. And, potentially, the key to poor people driving Cadillacs once the Omegas come...
correct on all counts Jim,turbos do indeed raise MPG standards,but not so much in real world driving.Beat up a 4 banger and mileage can be less than a V8 .

Im thinking the V16 could be a great marketing tool. Sort of along the lines where persons buying a Mercedes car, whether a little C class or the S class diesel ,6 or small V8 like to think of the V12 600 series. In reality very few buy the 600,yet its there and adds lots of status to every Benz.

You are of course correct about a V16 being less efficient than a smaller engine with less cylinders. But I ref er you to the example of Briggs Cunninghan and the power windows story. Sure Cadillac could have built the great deville series w/o power windows and achieved better mileage because of less weight .
Of course the idea of Cadillac in my opinion is the best,most luxurious,powerful,over the top car in the world.
Its one reason the wealthy in america traditionally bought Cadillacs.

I for one was waiting for the new XTS before it made its debut. I mean honestly,why did they bother ?
Cadillac could have refined the excelent DTS series until a proper model was ready to replace it . Instead they disappoint regular Cad buyers and do not make the car atrtractive enough to appeal to the E class or 3,4 series BMW buyers !

One Korean manufacturer is offering a rear drive 400+ horsepower 5 passenger large model that is more Cadillac than what we see in Cadillac showrooms today.

Explain why you think making an umpopular car is a stopgap measure . I honestly dont get it !

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Older cars like the DTS and Town Car were killed off for many reasons. But the biggest thing is keeping up with newer crash standards. It's more difficult than its worth...

·
Registered
2011 DTS luxury
231 Posts
Older cars like the DTS and Town Car were killed off for many reasons. But the biggest thing is keeping up with newer crash standards. It's more difficult than its worth...
Maybe so, but I dont see how making them smaller and lopping off cylinders make them any safer ?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Maybe so, but I dont see how making them smaller and lopping off cylinders make them any safer ?
Cylinder count is a whole other matter.

Old body on frame cars have tons of wasted space. Unibody cars have tight crash zones that are designed to crumple in a very specific way. My Town Car has so much dead space between the radiator support and the engine. There is also much room for the bumpers to crumple before getting into any meaningful mechanicals. That may sound good, but it's not optimal...

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts

In the end they never last. A good Cadillac can easily last 15 years and some much longer. I am amazed at how well the mid 90s devilles have held up. I see no other car except Corvettes and small Mercedes that have held up that well from the 90s.
are you not seeing all those early to mid 90's Lexus LS's with stratospheric mileage and still worth a few $$ in value?

Warren

1 - 20 of 30 Posts