Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just picked up a '94 Eldorado with 89.6k on it. I love the car. It does leak some oil, the previous owner was told it was a main seal. These motors leaking oil seems to be a little common from what I've read and heard but now that its stopped raining here I can go over the car.

I also just got an ses light while driving on the way to work. After work it was off, then later while driving it came back on. So far I've found on this board that it's possible to display the code on the dash but I don't know how to get it into that diagnostic mode. Please help me with that.

I'll be doing general maintenance this weekend. Fuel and air filters and maybe plugs and wires (they don't look as difficult as I thought). Any other common issues I should look for?

These cars seem to run hot and I know they did it for emissions. The manual says it has a 190-195 thermostat. On the highway I see 200 degrees and 220in traffic. That's a little more than I like. Is there a lower thermostat we can install yet still keep the computer in closed loop mode?
There also looks like there's plenty of room in front of the radiator/condensor for pusher fans as a last resort. Anyone tried that?

There doesn't seem to be any tuning software for this car huh? If there is please lead me to it. I'd love to get in and see what's going on. Plus the car is designed for 91 which really isn't common around here so I'm pretty much forced to use 93. If I'm paying for the octane I may as well try to bump the timing a bit and get a little more performance.

Overall I love the car. GM integrated the engine and transaxle very well. The power delivery is very smooth. I wish some of that engineering would trickle down to the lower scale models. Sorry for the long post but the help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
I also just got an ses light while driving on the way to work. After work it was off, then later while driving it came back on. So far I've found on this board that it's possible to display the code on the dash but I don't know how to get it into that diagnostic mode. Please help me with that.
Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons to display the DTC's. Answer yes & no to the prompts with the high and low fan button. HIGH FAN = yes & LOW FAN = no.

I'll be doing general maintenance this weekend. Fuel and air filters and maybe plugs and wires (they don't look as difficult as I thought). Any other common issues I should look for?
Change the coolant (every 2 years).

These cars seem to run hot and I know they did it for emissions. The manual says it has a 190-195 thermostat. On the highway I see 200 degrees and 220in traffic. That's a little more than I like. Is there a lower thermostat we can install yet still keep the computer in closed loop mode?
200-220 is normal. Don't reengineer it.

If I'm paying for the octane I may as well try to bump the timing a bit and get a little more performance.
It will run fine on regular. The knock sensor will compensate by retarding the timing and you won't notice the difference. If you're going to race, use premium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts