Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I bought a 2014 XTS Vsport this past July from a dealer. It had 13,600 miles on it. Here is my issue - I came out of a 2010 Dodge Charger RT and I swear this Caddy does not ride much better than that car. How is the car supposed to ride? Like a cloud? Some stiffness? I live on a dirt road and swear I feel every bump. Not bad, really, but not special either. Oh, and I do hear the compressor rising up the rear end after I shut down after driving with a back passenger two. I would not say, at all, that the car rides poorly. I'm just wondering if it should be riding smoother? I'm not even close to an oil change now, and the dealer is way outta state, so I cannot get her on a lift without paying $$$. I just don't know....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
MRC (Lord/DELPHI Magnetic Ride Control) responds instantly (less than .001 second) to road and handling changes. It can feel stiff as a board or soft as the proverbial cloud - depending on road conditions and car operation.

The ELC (Electronic Level Control), not part of MRC, respnds to weight changes in the cargo space or rear seat.

My F55 MRC STS can be right soft in the ride department or it can knock out your teeth, depending on road condition, speed, and required handling changes. The MRC system responds to roll, pitch, yaw, turn radius, actual turn radius, power demand, braking, transmission gear, vehicle and individual wheel speeds, engine rpm, lots of other stuff.

Google "lord-delphi magnetorheological suspension system" or something close.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
550 Posts
How is the car supposed to ride? Like a cloud? Some stiffness? I live on a dirt road and swear I feel every bump. Not bad, really, but not special either.
Yep, I feel sharp bumps also. It not a hard feeling. But, it is not soft either. Yet, it seems to recover smoothly. Yes, I find the ride different as well. As pointed out, it seem to change based on the road condition: rough, smooth or bumpy. In all cases, it still seems be solid and handles well though.

5 Posts
Most people blame the 20" wheels. I love mine but keep the tires at 39psi to help deter bent wheels from pot holes. Also, I stay in sport mode which also firms things up a bit...!

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,170 Posts
Magneride is not intended to be "soft". It should have a sporty feel...so no, I don't see any reason to expect that it would ride "softer" than a Charger. Also, softer does not mean better. Better means more stable and predictable. Softer is divey and wallowy. So the ride should be more like "solid" or "precise" in comfort mode and "firm" in sport mode.

·
Registered
2019 XTS PremLux Crystal White Tricoat
61 Posts
My 2018 without MRC was much softer Caddy feel then my 2019 with MRC. But come down a mountain on a Highway at 70-75 and go through turns and the MRC is awesome, I've really gotten to enjoy the ride with MRC it does change with road conditions you can feel it.
That said, nothing beats the smooth ride of a Chrysler product, I have a Ram 1500 smoother than the Cad, my Jeep Cherokee is also. And my Grand Caravan is really smooth.
But I'd trade them all for my Cadillac :D.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. Somehow I was expecting a supple ride over potholes, being a Caddy. No problem. I just love this car. As a precaution and ease of mind, when I get my winter wheels swapped for the summers I'll have the shop check the shocks. I'm quite sure they'll be fine. Be well, all.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum
95 Posts
ccclarke, post: 17814838, member: 10308"]
Why not save time and money by inspecting the shocks yourself? It's fast, it's easy, and best of all . . . it's free!

CCC
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder, I will check mine when I rotate the tires. 9 months of BTB warranty left.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,251 Posts
See what mode you are in. Sport will be firmer than Tour.
Check tire inflation, in case it's too high.

·
Registered
STS
14 Posts
From MotorTrend 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport AWD First Test :
"If you're willing to sacrifice a comfortable ride for big wheels or really need a big trunk and rear seat, the XTS could be your car.
The Vsport's standard 20-inch wheels on our test car (wrapped in P245/40R20 all-season Bridgestones) looked amazing, but on less-than-perfect pavement and over freeway expansion joints they proved too firm and transmitted more tire noise than we anticipated from a large sedan. "
So what you're experiencing is probably to be expected.
I'm assuming your vehicle does not have run flat tires. If it does that could be a major reason for a harsh ride. Otherwise I'd check the tires you have and see how they compare with others for ride quality (comfort and noise). Check on the ratings from TireRack. Going to a "softer" sidewall tire could alleviate some of your problems.

Congrats on a nice ride!

·
Registered
STS
14 Posts
As an aside, If your car has only 14K miles maybe you still have the original tires?? If so at 6 years old they may be getting pretty hard. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2014 XTS VSport Premium
5 Posts
Hey folks. I bought a 2014 XTS Vsport this past July from a dealer. It had 13,600 miles on it. Here is my issue - I came out of a 2010 Dodge Charger RT and I swear this Caddy does not ride much better than that car. How is the car supposed to ride? Like a cloud? Some stiffness? I live on a dirt road and swear I feel every bump. Not bad, really, but not special either. Oh, and I do hear the compressor rising up the rear end after I shut down after driving with a back passenger two. I would not say, at all, that the car rides poorly. I'm just wondering if it should be riding smoother? I'm not even close to an oil change now, and the dealer is way outta state, so I cannot get her on a lift without paying $$$. I just don't know....
I had a similar car, a 2014 XTS V-Sport with the 20 inch wheels and magneride, for almost three years and had the same complaint. It rode like I was always on a gravel surface and was very stiff over bumps, but handled well. My replacement, a 2017 CT6 TT3.0 specifically ordered with 19 inch wheels and NO Magneride (and about 11 inches more wheelbase rode like I would expect from Cadillac's top sedan, but was otherwise a disaster. That is another long story previously related under the eight speed transmission topic.

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
18 Posts
From MotorTrend 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport AWD First Test :
"If you're willing to sacrifice a comfortable ride for big wheels or really need a big trunk and rear seat, the XTS could be your car.
The Vsport's standard 20-inch wheels on our test car (wrapped in P245/40R20 all-season Bridgestones) looked amazing, but on less-than-perfect pavement and over freeway expansion joints they proved too firm and transmitted more tire noise than we anticipated from a large sedan. "
So what you're experiencing is probably to be expected.
I'm assuming your vehicle does not have run flat tires. If it does that could be a major reason for a harsh ride. Otherwise I'd check the tires you have and see how they compare with others for ride quality (comfort and noise). Check on the ratings from TireRack. Going to a "softer" sidewall tire could alleviate some of your problems.

Congrats on a nice ride!
You got me with this one. How do we find a softer sidewall? I have never seen that on Tire Rack. Are you thinking downsizing wheels with taller tires?

·
Registered
STS
14 Posts
well downsizing would certainly make a difference, but I was referring to looking for a tire that is rated high for comfort. That doesn't necessarily mean it has a "softer sidewall", but it does imply it.
Basically I was suggesting using Tireracks guidance looking for a tire rated highest on the comfort side as opposed to performance which typically would require a "stiffer" sidewall.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,663 Posts
A low-profile tires feature stiffer sidewalls to minimize wheel damage from road hazards like potholes. Performance-rated tires use rubber compounds that minimize tread life at the expense of grip and heat-shedding at higher speeds.

If a more supple/luxury ride is desired than what is offered by mode selecting available suspension modes, downsizing the wheels with higher profile tires is the preferred method without expensive suspension mods. Optimal tire selection for the XTS has been discussed ad-finum in the forums. I kept my 20" wheels and chose tires based on recommended user-feedback here (P7 Cinturato All-Season Plus.) No complaints; they're quiet, have longer tread life than the OEMs, and grip well in the snow. YMMV.

CCC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts