Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the ad below, if you want a car that falls short again and again (but gets an E for effort), buy a Cadillac. Come on we dare you.

What were they thinking? That's a rhetorical question because the answer would probably just depress me more. SMH

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious where you saw this?
Its the back cover of The New Yorker magazine dated Feb 16, 2015.

----------

Yup, they need a new advertising agency .
And they need a new person at Cadillac approving what the agency proposes or giving direction to the agency.

Who's the bigger idiot? The person trying to sell that ad to Cadillac, or the person at Cadillac who bought it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wonder if this ad was supposed to run in the 2/23 issue and was run by mistake. On 2/22/14 Caddy is supposed to launch their new campaign. There's a website, dare-greatly.com, with a video with the same basic message. But, there is no attribution. Right now, they are using the #daregreatly to create some buzz. The text is part of a Teddy Roosevelt speech. The ad above is just the opening salvo in what will be a larger campaign.

Based on the styling of the ATS and the current CTS, I think Caddy has been playing it safe since the bankruptcy. The last gen CTS, particularly the coupe, was much more bold. Same goes for the XLR and the last SRX. I hope these ads preview a Cadillac that is getting it's mojo back. I hate to say it, but what Cadillac has represented to me is "We're as good as the last generation BMW, only cheaper". Lately, they have eliminated the "cheaper" part, though they can't really defend why they should command a premium price. I hope we will see that they did "Dare Greatly" when the CT6 is introduced.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
OMG ..... and see what happens when they let a European move the headquarters to NYC!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Actually, I kind of think it goes well with the newer Cadillacs.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Let's face , Also ran's, regardless of how successful, do not sell In the good old USA!

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Personally, I found the ad depressing. Yeah, drive a Cadillac ..... the car for affluent loosers!

That ad would probably be better if it had upbeat music ..... and was for a top end Citroen!

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
So the new guy is from South Africa ...... hey, now there's pause for encouragement! An Afrikaner by way of Europe is supposed to be the enlightened one about marketing to the U.S. auto market. I'll believe it when I see it. And if approval of the above commercial is evidence of his knowledge of how to sell cars to Americans .... or anybody else, then I predict that those of us with Cadillacs will be seeing independent garages as the only place to get our orphan cars service (altogether not a bad thing!).

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
CTSCHICK, that was really great ... made my day! Beat that Afrikaner boy!

I also liked it because it was filmed in my old L.A. neighborhood. The opening shots, the introduction of the girl, was shot in front of and around (I even recognized the dumpster) my old neighborhood library. My son learned to ride his two wheeler on the side walks in front of the library.

For many years we had a Barbet (French Water Dog) by the name of "Thunder" (actually his full name was "Chief Thunder Thud"), hew was a great dog and would have been very pleased to have a Cadillac named after himself.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
So the new guy is from South Africa ...... hey, now there's pause for encouragement! An Afrikaner by way of Europe is supposed to be the enlightened one about marketing to the U.S. auto market. I'll believe it when I see it. And if approval of the above commercial is evidence of his knowledge of how to sell cars to Americans .... or anybody else, then I predict that those of us with Cadillacs will be seeing independent garages as the only place to get our orphan cars service (altogether not a bad thing!).
"Selling cars to Americans," well let's see. Toyota is selling a lot of cars to Americans. Actually Toyota sells more cars to Aemricans than GM does (if we exclude trucks). And other Asian companies such as Kia, Honda and Hyndai are doing very well as well. And in luxury market, BMW, MB, Audi, and Lexus dominate the market and Cadillac is just trying to keep up with them, and it is not doing a very good job either! The point is, you don't need to be an American to know how to market and sell cars to Americans, you just need to be smart, and to me it seems that the Cadillac people are not! Just my two cents!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts