Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man, this is FUNNY. I just replaced the headgasket and when I did it, I changed the harmonic balancer with a BRAND NEW one.

This morning, my sister was backing it out and heard a CLUNK and lost powersteering, she also got a battery light.

I figured that the belt broke, but when I opened the hood, I was SHOCKED to see that the pulley on the harmonic balancer had spun off from the ballancer.

Ever hear of this happening?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
That's odd. Never heard of that. I would figure a bad part or incorrect installation. Did you torque it correctly? Was it an ACDelco replacement? And, I know this isn't going to help you NOW, but why did you replace the balancer with a new one?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's odd. Never heard of that. I would figure a bad part or incorrect installation. Did you torque it correctly? Was it an ACDelco replacement? And, I know this isn't going to help you NOW, but why did you replace the balancer with a new one?
Yeah, I torqued it EXACTLY as the book said and the balancer itself is still on the motor, just the pulley came off. The vulcanized rubber looks like foam, it's that broken down.

I replaced it because I used channel locks on the old one and bent it, before using the flywheel as a leverage point.

I got it from Orielly's.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
A Cadillac joke? You mean like "that rock solid reliable, torque monster HT4100"?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
That probably explains the failure then. There is a lot of truth in "You get what you pay for".

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That probably explains the failure then. There is a lot of truth in "You get what you pay for".
I have never had a problem with them before, in fact they are usually more relaible than Autozone. Not this time I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts