Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac fans will be thrilled to hear that Ed Whitacre himself has instructed the brand to build a true, full-size flagship above both the CTS and the upcoming XTS. The car has not been clearly defined yet. The Zeta platform (Holden Commodore, Chevrolet Camaro, etc.) is heavy and dated, and therefore the flagship is more likely be built on a stretched version of the CTS’s Sigma platform. On the other side of the brand’s spectrum, the BMW 3-series–fighting ATS, based on a shortened Sigma platform called Alpha, is almost certain to come. If its styling is innovative and daring enough, it could become a real alternative to the well-established competition.

Read more...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
No V8 = FAIL --- and not just another small block variant -- N*2!

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V raven
96 Posts
N* is dead, and they're not going to develop a whole new line of V8s for one car -- though I could see them developing a Cadillac-only version of the smallblock, maybe with a turbo or something. Either way, learn to love that smallblock, because it's going to be GM's only V8 from here on out.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's wrong with a 500 horsepower (at the block) twin turbo 3.0 V6 like BMW has? Okay, maybe 500 horsepower is overdoing it because people haven't been driving them for very long but the lightly modded 400+ horsepower TTs have been driving around for years without any issues.

·
Registered
2004 Seville SLS
435 Posts
RWD Flagship in the works!

Cadillac fans will be thrilled to hear that Ed Whitacre himself has instructed the brand to build a true, full-size flagship above both the CTS and the upcoming XTS. The car has not been clearly defined yet. The Zeta platform (Holden Commodore, Chevrolet Camaro, etc.) is heavy and dated, and therefore the flagship is more likely be built on a stretched version of the CTS’s Sigma platform. On the other side of the brand’s spectrum, the BMW 3-series–fighting ATS, based on a shortened Sigma platform called Alpha, is almost certain to come. If its styling is innovative and daring enough, it could become a real alternative to the well-established competition.

Buick gets a compact SUV based on the small Gamma platform (Chevrolet Aveo, etc.), and there could be a Chevrolet version of this SUV as well. The four-cylinder Buick Regal GS will likely get up to 300 hp. And while the current Corvette will receive a well-deserved interior redo in 2012, GM is getting close to defining the next generation of the sports car. The internal competition between three different proposals is drawing to a close. Even now, the Corvette is gaining a lot of respect in Europe; if GM managed to create a sustainable infrastructure to sell and service its American cars, it might actually sell a few of them in the Old World.
via Car and Driver

Best thing i read all day..

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts
Re: RWD Flagship in the works!

Reposted repost is a repost.

But seriously, this is awesome. :D

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts

It's in the news section. Sal beat you to it. :)

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts

I'll believe when I see.
Same here. It pains me to say this, but GM has completely forgotten its roots in the big sedan segment, that is what made it so great back in the 50's/60's, the big, bold, stylish sedans. People still want to buy that, its a segment that will never go out of style unless you build medicroe, boring crap like they have for the past 15 years or so.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

This is great news!! May we finally see the return of the almighty Fleetwood Brougham????? Let's hope to god it's V8, RWD and Body on Frame!! Atleast V8 and RWD, as I don't think that the S Class/ 7 Series or anything else in that segment is body on frame anymore....

I can put up with it being unibody, as long as it's got a big V8 under it's hood and pushes with the rear wheels...

I'm being cautiously optimistic. I hope it turns out (well) but seeing as how sketchy GM has been as of recent, I don't wanna get my hopes up too much. But seeing as how GM CEO Ed Whitacre is putting out the order, I don't see how it could get mucked up...

Didn't GM learn from this in the 80's?
I'd hope so. I don't know why Buick would build a small SUV off an AVEO platform?!?!?!! That sounds ridiculous and NOT in the good way.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
What's wrong with a 500 horsepower (at the block) twin turbo 3.0 V6 like BMW has? Okay, maybe 500 horsepower is overdoing it because people haven't been driving them for very long but the lightly modded 400+ horsepower TTs have been driving around for years without any issues.

Nothing in a CTS, or gasp...XTS...but do they or M-B put something similar in a 7 or S?

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
N* is dead, and they're not going to develop a whole new line of V8s for one car -- though I could see them developing a Cadillac-only version of the smallblock, maybe with a turbo or something. Either way, learn to love that smallblock, because it's going to be GM's only V8 from here on out.

From hence, the first layer of fail....

Not that it's a dealbreaker, as at least it's a V8, and I'd still be very interested in buying one. But the subject of the thread is FLAGSHIP. The fact that they can't develop, afford, and/or keep a modern V8 design is still fail.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
From hence, the first layer of fail....

Not that it's a dealbreaker, as at least it's a V8, and I'd still be very interested in buying one. But the subject of the thread is FLAGSHIP. The fact that they can't develop, afford, and/or keep a modern V8 design is still fail.
I'd much rather have an LS based motor in the Cadillac. The N* was a big huge basket of fail IMO. Last thing Cadillac needs is a tempermental, one off engine like the N*.

The LS series of motors are becoming pretty high tech now days. Depending on the model, you can get them with variable valve timing, 6 speed automatic trans, displacement on demand, supercharged, and they'll have direct injection versions out in a couple of years. Also there is a huge aftermarket for the LS motors, so if you want a hot-rod Caddy, its definetly the way to go IMO.

That being said, if they want to go ahead and use the V16 motor out of the Sixteen, or just put the damn thing in production, that would be totally awesome.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Now, if they want to take 2 3.6DIs and weld them into a 7.2DI V12 -- I could live w/that.

Are the RWD N*s a big huge basket of fail? I don't hear people bitching about them on here, anyway.

As they seemed to fix the HG and seal problems in the late FWD N*s, how are those big huge baskets of fail?

Since the thing was pretty much fixed -- just work on making it more efficient, powerful, and reliable. It shouldn't be that hard to get 50-75 more HP and 5 more MPG out of the thing for their base run of the mill V8 engine.

And I'm not trying to dog the small block -- I have two of its ancestors, and I like them. But GM should have more than one V8 engine -- all I'm saying.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
LS3's are pushing 430rwhp with a tune and basic bolt ons. I have wanted Cadi to build a S class competitor without the GM Rubbermaid/Fischer Price interior. The DTS was fail with FWD and cheap feeling interior and the STs wasn't big or luxurious enough. Interior design and a very high quality fit and finish are going to be key since we can probably all get a ruler out and draw the body lines right now (I do love the current Cadi lines btw)

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
If Hyundai can come up with the Genesis and the Equus, I want to believe GM can produce a V8-powered DeVille and Fleetwood duo. I want to believe. I really do. But, GM's recent history is conspiring against that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts