Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Caddy guru's, I have owned SEVERAL Cadillac's over the years, 67 DeVille Convertible--(my Fav to date), 74, 80, 85(my least fav), 90 (frigin water pump from H e double hockey sticks), and now a 99 Deville.( bought it yesterday). But I digress--------- I have looked since the Dawn of the internet, for a Cadillac garage door remote, that is powered off the Vehilce leads in the back of the holder. I even got fancy on my 80 Sedan Deville, and jumpered the wires into my cheap garage door remote--back than it was to my parents garage, and before I learned about voltage drop, and AMPS.

So I ask, am I looking for something that does not exist??? I have NEVER purchased a zero mile car in my life, and wonder if it comes with a new car, and the owners never give it up. Does anyone own one? Can I purchase one somewhere? Am I the only idiot who has gone on a quest to find one of these?

I guess life is good, if I have time to worry about something this minor, but it has ALWAYS made me wonder! Maybe I have stumbled on a new business venture, although I can't beleive I'm the only one who has looked.

Thanks Guys&Gals----Big D in Detoit

Back in the Caddy saddle again----and it feels great!!!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Be aware there are at least three different types. Early type where you position little rocker switches in the remote to match the code on your opener, with a chrome slider switch on its face or type two that has 3 buttons and no slide switch and a green LED light or the most common, the 3 button one with an orange LED. If your garage opener is real old then you need the rocker type, if your opener is the new rolling code type, you need the one with the orange LED. I've found all three over the years at wrecking yards!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
But I did say "there's at LEAST three" At my age remembering 3 out 4 is amazing!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Sedan Deville
9 Posts
I bought one with a red light for my 95 deville from a junk yard for five bucks. It plugs right in and lights up, however if your garage door opener is too new it can not learn the code therefore it's useless. I don't know about the amber (orange) or green ones, but i was disappointed. Definitely worth it - Brad

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am confused, not sure why. Maybe I ate too much, maybe not enough.
Anyway, there are 2 systems that GM installs from the factory.
Homelink, and Lear Car2U systems. (mid year '07 I think)
If you are talking about an older Deville or something that has the slot in the overhead console, you can get one of those from GM and plug it in. I haven't done one for a while, not sure if it is a plug and play kind of deal or not.

Factory installed ones have instructions available at www.homelink.com and www.learcar2u.com depending on which system you have.
Homelink also has kits you can buy and install for many vehicle applications to add this feature.
www.mitocorp.com also sells some homelink and bluetooth equipment.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
My 95 eldo has an option you may be referring to. Your owners manual may refer to it , if not here's how mine works.. There are 3 spring return switches above the rear view mirror. Hold the 2 outer switches down until the red LED starts flashing quickly, this clears the code the previous owner may have used. Take your existing remote and hold it to the area just ahead of the switches and press your opener button, and the left switch (on the group of 3) simultaneously until the red LED flashes rapidly. You've now programmed the first of 3 different remotes you can control from this console!

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
I also pirchased a 99 DeVille and it has the factory G D opener on the headliner between the two dome lights. I haven't set it up yet but the instructions in the manual say to take your regular G D opener and press its buttons one at a time (if you ave a 3 button opener) and "learn" the code from your functioning opener. If you don't have the owners manual go search on here and go to the site that lets you download the manual at no cost.
If you don't have the factory G D opener its junk yard time. Here in MD Ii would wait till spring to retrieve something like that as im not frosty the snowman.:cool2::patriot:BIGHANK

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
I have one in my 1989 DeVille but since my garage door opener is an old one it would not work unless I bought the matching Cadillac receiver. I have it mounted on the wall in my garage and it plugs in to an a/c outlet and it it connected to my garage door receiver with two wires. I should add it it a three channel opener so I have it hooked up to channel one on the receiver and when I want to use the opener I just make sure the slide switch in the car is on the number 1 channel and it works perfect.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Set mine up using the original sears transmitter. Took aboout 5 minutes.
Used the center button. Works great. :lildevil:BIGHANK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts