Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I am from Russia, and soon gonna move to US, California. As you can see I drove a 95 fleetwood here and it was very much of fun. I am thinking about buy myself a Caddy there. I see many classified on craig's list of 90's fleetwoods, 80's broughams and even late 60-70's fleetwoods and devilles, some of them even coupes around $4,000. Unfortunately, can't afford more for the first time, but i want classic american car. Some of them not much pretty, some shiny, but everybody surely says in the ad the technical condition is perfect. Could you say, it it real to buy good Caddy for this sum? Thank you!

----------

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5052145240.html

for example. I am so in love with it's silhouette.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
Welcome to the U.S. !!! :highfive:

There are SO many good cars, of all makes and models, for sale here that your best bet would be to wait and see: Settle down, do some intelligent shopping. There are creampuffs out there to be sure, but if a car price is too good to be true, you usually wind up with big troubles. Try not to buy something sight unseen. Photographs lie, advertisers lie, and your best insurance is a hands-on inspection.

When you settle in, ask about local car clubs at a few automobile parts stores (there are MANY here) - car clubs are a great source of local car and parts information.

Try to avoid the small, low volume car lots that offer fantastic deals and no warranties. For your needs, a private sale may be the best bet but, as always, be careful and hide your checkbook.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for hospitality!
So you think this is real if not making it in the haste?
I am actually almost settled, i've rented a room in Carson and will be there on 15th of June.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Be aware that unless you have something written to the contrary, all person to person private sales are "as is". Once you buy a car from Joe Scooterberry you have almost no recourse if something major is wrong with it. Spend the money and have an independent mechanic inspect it before you buy. Don't believe a word the seller or any of his friends tell you. Imagine you found the car in the middle of the desert and there is no information on earth about it other than what you find out for yourself. As far as the sellers are concerned you are a pigeon ready for plucking. Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Sub and dkozloski have given you all the best advice possible. I would like to emphasize the need to be very leery of all internet offers. Do not EVER send money to someone claiming to have a car for sale on the internet.
Recently I was helping a friend to find a car for his son, and came upon an ad on craigslist for an '04 Nissan Altima for $1,500 (too good to be true). When I emailed them a few questions about the car, the owner replied saying the car was being sold through eBay and I would be protected by a "buyer protection" program. They went on to answer all of my other questions about the car, and then told me the car would be delivered within 2 days of receiving payment through some sort of electronic money order.
All kinds of bells and whistles were going off in my head!
I knew it absolutely had to be a scam. Sure enough, when I went to the eBay auto sales section the first thing I saw was a warning/disclaimer stating that eBay does not do business with craigslist and potential buyers (suckers) should beware.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advices, guys! I am highly aware of all this, since in russia there not less scams and other frauds, also via the internet. "Ebay buyer protection" is a known thing too, some of my friends bought iphones with it, surely getting nothing :)

So, you think, considering all the awares, this is real to get myself a caddy?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Do you mean can you buy a "classic" Cadillac for $4,000? Sure. Just make sure to learn as much as you can about the particular model you're interested in to get the best car for the money.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
I just bought a 1977 Coupe Deville in " Decent" condition for $1,000.00. It needs a little love. But runs/drives great & no rust or smashes.

This one is near me & I might buy it also;
http://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5020016535.html

I think California is going to be more expensive for EVERYTHING than Rural America. Or as we say Boondocks! Heh..Heh

We have cheap AK'47's also!:)

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I found my 1992 Cadillac for $1800. It has been a good car. It i snot perfect, and it needs a little work. But it is a good car. You will find many cars that are a little older, some that are true classic cars, within your $4000 price range. I am sure that you will find a nice one!

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean can you buy a "classic" Cadillac for $4,000? Sure. Just make sure to learn as much as you can about the particular model you're interested in to get the best car for the money.
Thanks! This sounds so encouraging :)

----------

I found my 1992 Cadillac for $1800. It has been a good car. It i snot perfect, and it needs a little work. But it is a good car. You will find many cars that are a little older, some that are true classic cars, within your $4000 price range. I am sure that you will find a nice one!
Thanks a lot, i hope i will :)

----------

I just bought a 1977 Coupe Deville in " Decent" condition for $1,000.00. It needs a little love. But runs/drives great & no rust or smashes.

This one is near me & I might buy it also;
http://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5020016535.html

I think California is going to be more expensive for EVERYTHING than Rural America. Or as we say Boondocks! Heh..Heh

We have cheap AK'47's also!:)
You mean rifles? :D Trust me, plenty of them here.

By the way, what is wrong with Cali? I heard much about it, but i don't understand. It's ocean, warm, mostly private houses. Looks like a dream from russia. It's interesting to listen to native's opinion. High taxes? Prices for property? I compared prices for houses and cars with Austin, TX, but it looked similar to me. Maybe there's something i do not understand because of not facing US personally. I will be grateful for small course :)

I was there in my vacation in 2013, i liked it much, but what looked strange to is a lack of classic american cars on the streets. I don't think that every american drives one, but i surely waited to see more of them. It's an american car fan notice.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Thanks! This sounds so encouraging :)

----------

Thanks a lot, i hope i will :)

----------

You mean rifles? :D Trust me, plenty of them here.

By the way, what is wrong with Cali? I heard much about it, but i don't understand. It's ocean, warm, mostly private houses. Looks like a dream from russia. It's interesting to listen to native's opinion. High taxes? Prices for property? I compared prices for houses and cars with Austin, TX, but it looked similar to me. Maybe there's something i do not understand because of not facing US personally. I will be grateful for small course :)

I was there in my vacation in 2013, i liked it much, but what looked strange to is a lack of classic american cars on the streets. I don't think that every american drives one, but i surely waited to see more of them. It's an american car fan notice.
=================================
By the way, what is wrong with Cali?
besides poor management -
California - the land of FRUITS AND NUTS -
and now - no water -

I heard much about it,
but i don't understand.
NO ONE understands it -

High taxes?

YES - but the state still needs a LOT more money -
WHY? -
one reason is to support all the illegal aliens -
free education - free food - subsidized housing - healthcare - etc -
costs a LOT of money - and they are ENTITLED -

Prices for property?
depending on where in the state you are looking - ridiculously high - compared to other parts of the country -

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now i start to understand. Actually, i haven't chosen right place for me yet. I decided to start from Cali as a good looking place, get my papers done, work some time and then look around futher. Could you advise something maybe? Good place for an IT guy and huge car enthusiast. Ocean is not necessary, but i'd like to have warm climate around, i have enough snow and winters in my homeland Would be very grateful.

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts
IT ???? My granddaughter works for a good company - site management and editing - in Austin, Texas. Austin is a vibrant, attractive, clean city with a large population of technical, arts and IT people. Expenses, taxes, food - is a LOT cheaper than California.

Good public transportation and a city-owned electric car rental system - the cars are parked in designated spaces all over the city - you reserve one by cell phone, stick your credit card in the door and drive - parking it in another city space when you are finished with it. Lock it, plug it in and walk away.

Go online and Google the city. I will ask my granddaughter if she has any links or information concerning your line of desired work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Submariner is right about Texas. It is a state with a lot of growth. And if you want to experience "real" America, Austin would be a great place to start. It is a land of art and music. Texas is a very large state and mostly a warm place, but it is also a very diverse place with some astounding natural beauty. If you would prefer somewhere colder, there is a lot of growth in North Dakota right now, but North Dakota is kind of like America's Siberia. You may not like it.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
Seems like El Coyote been adopted by as big, diverse group of friends as any newcomer could wish to join. I wish him every success, it's a brave, bold step he's taking - even with all the support that's being offered.

However wouldn't it be good to hear a little about his previous brave decision: to run what is now an old Fleetwood in Moscow?

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts
I daresay he'll keep us cut in. With his impending emigration and total lifestyle upheaval I'd guess that he's up to his ass in alligators right now.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like El Coyote been adopted by as big, diverse group of friends as any newcomer could wish to join. I wish him every success, it's a brave, bold step he's taking - even with all the support that's being offered.

However wouldn't it be good to hear a little about his previous brave decision: to run what is now an old Fleetwood in Moscow?
Oh..So touched by such a warm words. Thank you! Not every russian would say me that.

What about running old Fleetwood in Moscow, i can tell you, the most serious problem with it is its previous owners without hands and head, and same type technicians. All troubles, which fleet gave me was because of poor previous service. It's very rare car here and sure no one has necessary experience in repairing and servicing one. Second problem is rust. American cars can't stand severe russian winter for a long time. Especially in Moscow, where roads are heavily covered with salt and strong reagents. So it was rather rusty here and there, frame was good, but fenders were rusted from inside, but still looked good outside though. Besides of that it was great to own it, especially own it here in Russia, because of rarity. When i drove the town, many people turn their heads, waved me, smiled. Many people wrote me in social networks: "Hey, saw your big rig today, you got style!" On parkings many people stopped by and asked, what car is this, what year, what's the fuel consumption and why the hell i need this car. It ran strong, it had swapped impala engine, new transmission and immaculate interior from a car which had been beaten at the age of 3 years old. There was not much parts in stock for it, but it wasn't a big deal to order parts online from US, USD/RUB change ratio was a more friendly then. Also local american car clubs helped much, i could find some used parts from a parted out fleets and caprices. So for me as a car enthusiast fond of full sizes and 2nd gen firebirds, it was a great experience owning one, huge step up from looking through photos and reading info in the net. Actually i had them two...

Other was an 1993 fleetwood, 2 years earlier maybe, but it didn't last for a long, i was poor student and couldn't afford a cadillac :)

DmYCXYVT0Pk.jpg

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I agree on the brave move.
I got nervous moving to a new city 60 miles from home!
It will be fun to hear updates as you go through the process.

Good luck, and we will advise and help as we can.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like your photograph. It looks like a very beautiful area you were driving through!

·
Administrator
68,513 Posts
Russia is, scenery-wise, about like any other country on earth (been to, driven in Russia - in and near St. Petersburg) - some of it is dropdead gorgeous, some not so. Same applies to the people - most Russians are warm, friendly people; some are really not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts