Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buick uses a de-tunned version of our 3.6L, Saab is using a Turbocharged 2.8L variant, the upcomming saturn aura is supposed to have the 3.6L as an option.

I'm curious if this has any effect on member's perceptions.

Is this a serious transgression and should the marketing and design folks at GM be shot?

Is this a smart move by GM?

Or if you didn't know any better would you not care either way?

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
The new engines were never intended to be exclusive to Cadillac. It doesn't make sense financially.

http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/powertrain/car/index.html

Truly global

No engine more concisely demonstrates GM Powertrain's approach to business than the 3.6L V-6 VVT. This 60-degree DOHC V-6 was developed jointly for global application, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/index.html

This modular V-6 is suited to markets worldwide, and to all types of vehicles, with as few application-specific changes as practically possible: front-wheel-drive platforms, which require transverse mounting; rear-wheel-drive longitudinal installation; and all-wheel-drive applications, which can require either transverse or longitudinal mounting.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a great thing, the efficency of it is mind boggling. Just look at Nissan/Infiniti

That god damm 3.5L V6 is in almost every car they make, so instead of 10 engines for 10 cars they have 1 that they constantly improve upon. I'm glad GM is thinking bigger than just individual divisions

·
Registered
270 Posts
more cars with this engine means that there will be greater support for aftermarket modifications and cheaper parts in the future... Im all for it!! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for raising the question. I was trying to find more background on that engine. skepticman, thanks so much for the info links - good stuff. Just what I was looking for. :yup:

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
S2000 driver said:
Thanks for raising the question. I was trying to find more background on that engine. skepticman, thanks so much for the info links - good stuff. Just what I was looking for. :yup:
This file (linked under "What's New or Changed" on that site) is what you should look at if you really want to know about the high feature engine design.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V and 1998 Seville STS
98 Posts
I have to say I am glad for the sharing option. As an owner of a 2005 CTS-V my car wouldn't exist without "sharing" and I love this car. It's a shame the STS-V didn't get the LS7 instead of the SC Northstar, GM could've saved a boatload of money by going that route, and had much more power in the car to boot.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
AsAkAs said:
I think it's a great thing, the efficency of it is mind boggling. Just look at Nissan/Infiniti

That god damm 3.5L V6 is in almost every car they make, so instead of 10 engines for 10 cars they have 1 that they constantly improve upon. I'm glad GM is thinking bigger than just individual divisions

The only thing I don't like is that our 3.6L engines are in pontiac aztec looking cars and soon to be saturns. Just the thought of it sucks. Might as well have a tuned version of a tired and true work horse engine used by GM, the 3.8L V6. Those come with S/C'ers in the Pontiac SSEi's and I'm sure have more mods available than our engines.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
rodster111 said:
I have to say I am glad for the sharing option. As an owner of a 2005 CTS-V my car wouldn't exist without "sharing" and I love this car. It's a shame the STS-V didn't get the LS7 instead of the SC Northstar, GM could've saved a boatload of money by going that route, and had much more power in the car to boot.
The CTS-V is rated at 400HP where the STS-V SC is rated at 469HP. I know what you're saying though. The 505HP Corvette engine in either car would be awesome!!:D

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jteolis said:
The GM engine sharing debate has been going on for 40 years.
And why? No one debates Nissan/Infiniti's Use of the VQ engine, so why is the debate going on for GM? Because GM owns 7+ nameplates and the engines are used across multiple brands not just one or two? It shouldn't matter. Engine sharing across GM makes Sense from almost any aspect, funding, research, development, production, suppliers.. The only place it seems to have a sticking point is with precieved brand dillution.

If all the brands were dissolved into a single "GM" brand would the debate still exist? "I drive a GM CTS" "I drive a GM Lacross" they have the same engine, no biggie right? (Completly hypothetically speaking)

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I look at it this way. With our powerplant going into a couple more cars( allthough detuned a bit) the aftermarket guy's will finally have a reason to work on doing upgrades for it, because finally there is a much larger client base looking at modding. Iv'e just seen the Aura at the car show, a sweet piece that will definitley have modding potential(vision a Aura Red Line). The Buick versions are less so because of the older buying demografic, but maybe we'll get lucky and they'll offer a Performance version (remember the Grand Nationals - even the Roadmasters had a 5.7 one model year). This should really help us out.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
Given the current state of GM, my guess is that further consolidation is likely. We all saw the headlines.

Going forward, there will probably be less R&D and more sharing of parts amongst all the brand names. Can GM even afford to have separate engine development groups for each division?

If you were running a business with 5 divisions and each division basically did the same thing, would you have 1 engineering department, or would you have 5 separate engineering departments for each division?

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
Smokin' 04 CTS said:
The only thing I don't like is that our 3.6L engines are in pontiac aztec looking cars and soon to be saturns. Just the thought of it sucks. Might as well have a tuned version of a tired and true work horse engine used by GM, the 3.8L V6. Those come with S/C'ers in the Pontiac SSEi's and I'm sure have more mods available than our engines.
What do you mean by "Pontiac Aztec looking cars"? Currently the HFV6 is shared only with Saab, Buick, and the upcoming Saturn. A modern engine requires hundres of millions of dollars to develop, so I don't see a problem with sharing it among brands. Every other car maker does it.

As to the 3800, it's being phased out after next year and besides, it's a heavy, coarse, unrefined relic. Yes it's bulletproof and has great fuel economy, but today's marketplace demands more refinement than that engine is able to offer. It really is time to move on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts