Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts
lol - Idleup failed to convince anyone over at GM-Volt.com, so now he's trying here.

What Idleup just doesn't get is that his ELR cost $50k because the car failed. Tesla continues to charge $70k-120k per car because it succeeded. The ELR has only sold 1,408 cars over 16 months while Tesla sells that about many every month.

So regardless of Idleup's factually dubious endless photo essay trying to make himself feel better about his ELR purchase, the Tesla Model S still is the pinnacle of modern automotive success while the ELR is considered the biggest luxury flop of 2014. And that's coming from a fellow ELR owner.

·
Registered
ELR
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blast everyone on the forum knows you have it out for ELR because you paid list price!

You love the car and you know it!

Regards!!

·
Registered
ELR
75 Posts
I think they are both great and it was a hard choice for me. I actually lived right beside a Tesla supercharger site, then moved right near a Tesla "dealership". So I actually saw them so often that they weren't exotic at all and was a little bored with the looks. The thing I liked the most about the Tesla other than being all electric was the big touchpad interior of the Tesla, it is super good looking, how it works compared to CUE on a daily basis I don't know which is better.

For me the Cadillac wins on exterior looks, the Tesla on interiors. Tesla is way cooler as a brand, probably the best automotive brand in my eyes right now. If they were the same price and features I would go for the Tesla. At the price ELRs actually sell for it would be hard to justify the Tesla if you travel with 2 or less people most of the time or if it is your only car. You never know when you might have a family emergency or something and have to drive a long distance without stopping and charging.

·
Registered
ELR
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's like reading book - you can read it and open your mind to what the authors saying - or you can just read it to try and find fault!

This article is an actual event of my experience when going out to buy a Tesla and my finding - its not a novel its real life facts, everything in writing is backed up by facts.

The ELR is twice the car at half the price of a Tesla and I don't have to sit in strange "unsafe" parking lot with my family for hours trying to get a free charge - I can charge in the safety of my home while I'm relaxing with my family!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't have to sit in strange "unsafe" parking lot with my family for hours trying to get a free charge - I can charge in the safety of my home while I'm relaxing with my family!
And so can a Tesla. Duh. There you go again making stuff up.

We're all glad you like your new car. But no matter how much misinformation you post and enthusiasm you gush, the ELR is not going to become a successful vehicle. The marketplace has spoken. Sorry, dude. If I had it to do all over again, I would have totally bought the Model S instead of my ELR (or maybe a 2014 Volt if I was trying to save money).

·
Registered
ELR
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blast,

Hello - Please re-read the article carefully and just maybe you'll learn something!

If you're driving a Tesla, you don't have the option of just starting the engine and driving by a charging station while you're sitting there in "public charging restrooms" in metropolitan areas with your windows rolled up and the doors locked waiting for up to hours for a free cable to get enough charge in your "battery only"car back home!

Most important, the ELR with its advanced rx technology is less than half the price of the Tesla - is this starting to make any sense now?

·
Registered
ELR
12 Posts
I just picked one up with more a little more than 30K off sticker and will get 7,500 more from uncle sam. I think the car is fantastic. It made too much sense not to buy it at the price with fuel savings and the ability to drive in the HOV lane in AZ. Slam dunk. Interior is best ive every seen in a caddy, i like the shape more than a tesla personally. Tesla performance would be great but i have a viper so both cars are 'slow' in my book. If I was spending 90+ on a car it wouldnt be a tesla.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Blast,

Hello - Please re-read the article carefully and just maybe you'll learn something!

If you're driving a Tesla, you don't have the option of just starting the engine and driving by a charging station while you're sitting there in "public charging restrooms" in metropolitan areas with your windows rolled up and the doors locked waiting for up to hours for a free cable to get enough charge in your "battery only"car back home!

Most important, the ELR with its advanced rx technology is less than half the price of the Tesla - is this starting to make any sense now?
The "facts" in your article are manufactured... mostly misinformation and opinion, Idleup. There's no point in re-reading desperation propaganda. It's clear you regret your decision and are going hyper trying to convince yourself you made the right choice. But no matter how much you write, you still bought a car that had to be sold at nearly half off because no one (except us early adopters) would buy at full price. Tesla, on the other hand, only sees price increases because the car is in such demand. Bleat all you want, but nothing you make up will change reality.

Tesla performance would be great but i have a viper so both cars are 'slow' in my book. If I was spending 90+ on a car it wouldnt be a tesla.
Your $90k Viper can accelerate from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? That's news to me, unless you have the $190k+ Dodge Viper Hennessey Venom.

·
Registered
ELR
12 Posts
The "facts" in your article are manufactured... mostly misinformation and opinion, Idleup. There's no point in re-reading desperation propaganda. It's clear you regret your decision and are going hyper trying to convince yourself you made the right choice. But no matter how much you write, you still bought a car that had to be sold at nearly half off because no one (except us early adopters) would buy at full price. Tesla, on the other hand, only sees price increases because the car is in such demand. Bleat all you want, but nothing you make up will change reality.

Your $90k Viper can accelerate from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? That's news to me, unless you have the $190k+ Dodge Viper Hennessey Venom.
With stock tires, no but close, with something a bit more sticky, absolutely. Besides, i have never raced anyone from 0-60, 1/4 sure, 1/2 mile yep, highway roll yep. In every case the tesla would be a distant memory. I like the tesla, great car and like what the company is doing. Electric car cane make a lot of torque and get off the line quickly. a lot of people drank way to much koolaid with that tesla p85D vs hellcat video. Even in that video the tesla trapped 114mph, stock vipers trap 10-20 mph faster which is a lot.

This video shows what I am talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-jquwHKtI

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think comparing a $115,000 Model S to a $400,000 Aventador is cheating :bonkers:

Also, I'm not sure what your definition of "distant memory" is; I think you have your cars reversed. :yawn:

Regardless, you and I can both agree that all three cars (Model S, Viper, and Aventador) are worlds faster than a Cadillac ELR. Or as Idleup would put it, "about 1 second faster." lol!

·
Registered
ELR
12 Posts
I think comparing a $115,000 Model S to a $400,000 Aventador is cheating :bonkers:

Also, I'm not sure what your definition of "distant memory" is; I think you have your cars reversed. :yawn:

Regardless, you and I can both agree that all three cars (Model S, Viper, and Aventador) are worlds faster than a Cadillac ELR. Or as Idleup would put it, "about 1 second faster." lol!
Even when comparing the 115K 2015 tesla vs a 35K 2003 dodge viper, the same thing occurs. When the viper is in the middle of 3rd gear it starts pulling on the tesla. Its kinda silly to compare awd cars vs rwd cars from 0to60 awd will usually win purely from traction. The tesla, GTR and 991 turbo are spreading the power over 4 wheels which are controlled by computers. that viper is being controlled by some guys right foot across 2 wheels. If you really think your tesla is fast and powerful of as those magazines suggest, go and race a fast car like a viper, z06, porshe turbo from a 70 mph highway roll and let me know what happens.

Look what that same hellcat did with a pair of street legal drag radials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_aB9JTiFVE
ETs will tell you how much traction you are getting, MPH will tell you how much power you are making. The tesla needs a LOT more power to trap 127 mph.

Sure, those cars are a lot fast than the ELR. But I dont think many cross shop a tesla, elr, viper and aventador.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you really think your Tesla is fast and powerful of as those magazines suggest, go and race a fast car like a viper, z06, porshe turbo from a 70 mph highway roll and let me know what happens.
Why would I drag race someone starting at the top of the legal speed limit? People do that? No wonder there are so many accidents on the highway.

Did you see the embedded video link in my previous post? It shows a Model S P85 (not even the "D") blowing away a Viper SRT10 on the quarter mile.

I'm sure all those magazines are lying and don't know what they're writing about, especially when someone on the Internet contradicts them! lol.

BTW, I own an ELR, not a Tesla.

·
Registered
ELR
12 Posts
Why would I drag race someone starting at the top of the legal speed limit? People do that? No wonder there are so many accidents on the highway.

Did you see the embedded video link in my previous post? It shows a Model S P85 (not even the "D") blowing away a Viper SRT10 on the quarter mile.

I'm sure all those magazines are lying and don't know what they're writing about, especially when someone on the Internet contradicts them! lol.

BTW, I own an ELR, not a Tesla.
yes people do that.
I spoke to the vid you posted, the 12 year old viper got beat off the line due to the tesla's AWD and instant torque, no surprise there. IF you watch the viper closely, in the middle of 3rd gear it start pulling on the tesla. Similar the way the aventador and the video in the article you sent show the 458 getting beat off the line but screaming past the tesla a few seconds later.

The magazine arent lying, they are misleading. The tesla will beat most rear wheel drive cars to 60. Its not magic, its just spreading the power over 4 wheels instead of 2. I have a GTR that can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and It only has 500hp. The GTR will trap 122-124 in the quarter mile which is still about 10mph faster in the quarter. which means the 500hp GTR is more powerful than the claimed 691 hp tesla P85D. Id the tesla really made 691hp, it would trap somewhere near 130mph in the quarter mile.

nice, I recently got an ELR for my work commute. So far I really like it, 240 MPG compared to my 13mpg escalade.

·
Registered
ELR
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Post ACRJUD - Sometimes its hard for these Sedan drivers to understand the advantages of 2 wheel verses 4 wheel drive. Also they are forgetting the fact any electric develops all its torque at an instant, so its not rocket science a 4 wheel drive electric will be faster off the line Hello !

I'm just trying to imagine what owner would buy a Tesla of all cars to drag race with! While on the subject of Drag racing lets not forget the all too important fact most of the Tesla's go into limp mode when the electronics heat up! In fact while I can't recall the name one of the big reviewers could not perform any test results because the car was constantly in limp mode.

·
Registered
643 Posts
the 12 year old viper got beat off the line due to the tesla's AWD and instant torque, no surprise there.
As I pointed out to you before, the car racing the Viper is a P85 RWD, not a P85D AWD. Even more embarrassing for that Viper driver!

IF you watch the viper closely, in the middle of 3rd gear it start pulling on the tesla. Similar the way the aventador and the video in the article you sent show the 458 getting beat off the line but screaming past the tesla a few seconds later.
Except that the Viper lost the race bad even with the brief surge in 3rd gear, whereas the Aventador eventually won it.

The tesla will beat most rear wheel drive cars to 60. Its not magic, its just spreading the power over 4 wheels instead of 2.
Idleup actually does have a magic car - his ELR accelerates from 0-60 in 7 seconds (and he has a friend whose ELR does it in 6 magical seconds), completely contravening the laws of physics and the actual abilities of the car. All made up, of course, since no ELR can accelerate that fast.

Good Post ACRJUD - Sometimes its hard for these Sedan drivers to understand the advantages of 2 wheel verses 4 wheel drive. Also they are forgetting the fact any electric develops all its torque at an instant, so its not rocket science a 4 wheel drive electric will be faster off the line Hello!
I'm not sure you read ACRJUD's post correctly since your post both contradicts and agrees with him (and your first sentence disagrees with your last one). Are you on meds?

·
Registered
ELR
12 Posts
As I pointed out to you before, the car racing the Viper is a P85 RWD, not a P85D AWD. Even more embarrassing for that Viper driver!

Except that the Viper lost the race bad even with the brief surge in 3rd gear, whereas the Aventador eventually won it.

Idleup actually does have a magic car - his ELR accelerates from 0-60 in 7 seconds (and he has a friend whose ELR does it in 6 magical seconds), completely contravening the laws of physics and the actual abilities of the car. All made up, of course, since no ELR can accelerate that fast.

I'm not sure you read ACRJUD's post correctly since your post both contradicts and agrees with him (and your first sentence disagrees with your last one). Are you on meds?
Taking drag race video with a car like a viper with a grain of salt, Im no pro and im sure that guy wasnt either. Tesla is using computers to modulate wheel spin, viper uses no computers, just driver skill. Point is, Viper is catchin up and would pass the tesla shortly because its making more power.

In my GTR with 500hp I have smoked 600+ hp vipers, mustangs with guys claiming 1000 hp, etc purely because my car is able to put the power to the pavement quicker. And computers dont allows me to make mistakes. I just floor it. If you just floor it in a Viper or vette you are just gonna smoke tires.

·
Registered
ELR
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fact is the Tesla is not a race car by any means - its purpose is for local driving to pick up groceries or a day at thee shuffle board court, its for local driving only!!

What driver is going to spend $100-135K on a family sedan that looks and drives like a Buick sedan and pretend its a sports car. You drive the Tesla and I'll drive the Viper, Mustang or I8, No one in their right mind looking for a sports car will buy or drive a Tesla.

Bottom line - other than a straight run and hoping you don't overheat the system and go into limp mode the car is worthless, put the Tesla on any kind of track or course with maneuvering and you'll be out of luck. The Tesla's sole purpose is to be used with a charging network that does not exist except in major cities where its not safe to sit in your $120K luxury car with thugs lurking around looking for drugs. The only place safe to charge is your home and this why the the Tesla has failed.

In addition, by the time the Model 3 gets out it will be way to late - the BMW I3 has already dominated this size market and will eat them alive - by next year we'll see other Majors do the same.

The real stumbling block for Tesla is they are being banned state after state for selling direct, and dealers are closing every week - my advise is to dump your Tesla stock, its a Fisker with the same failure in sight!

·
Registered
ELR
13 Posts
He just posted this:

here’s a video of my ELR performing 0-60 mph right at 7 seconds with the battery depleted to around 50% (17 miles) to represent average results. (Sorry for the terrible quality)

I found a way to trim off a second by using a “launch method” to where I hold the throttle to the floor with the brake applied, them release the brake.
http://youtu.be/VRjsNJs_gqI

Seems like every time folks call out IdleUp, he responds with the goods.

Then again, he's not butthurt over his purchase...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts