Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93' Cadillac Sedan of the City
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo, driving down the parkway. I was cruising at about 65 mph, i tapped the brakes to coast behind a truck, when i tried to accelerate the throttle wouldn't do any justice... so i put the car in neutral, btw i was in a construction area w/ walls on each side. So as i was rolling with my hazard lights on my power steering went out, so i pulled into an exit shoulder (between the highway and the exit ramp) my power brakes did work to slow the car down btw. So i let it sit... about a half hour passed and i tried again with nothing, and did that twice. so i had it towed to my apartment. and no i didn't run out of gas according to the gas gauge, unless that is malfunctioning. So does anybody have a clue as to what this could be? i couldn't pull any codes btw, i'm thinking it could be a sensor, the fuel pump/filter, or some fuel related prob. any help would be great!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
you have to start with the basics. Do you have fuel pressure? Do you hear the fuel pump run (for 2 seconds) with your ear to the open filler pipe when someone turns the key on. If so, you can probably eliminate the fuel system and concentrate on ignition.

·
Registered
94 Deville
35 Posts
I don't trust my gas guage after having the same problem. I had only been driving my 94 Deville for a couple of weeks when it happened. I put gas in and she started up just fine. I have a co-worker who has the same problem. Now I watch my range, when it says 75 miles I know I'm on empty. I haven't had it happen again since I started watching the range instead of the gas guage.

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
On my 97 Base Deville the gas gauge doesn't read correctly after i go under 6-7 gallons of gas it's been like that ever since i bought the car. So when i fill up my tank it will display that it is full now when it get around 5 gallons or below it will start going crazy again and it will start showing 15,16,17 gallons and as it gets lower it will read full again when in reality it is almost empty so i would check the pressure like Ranger said and check to see if you have any gas because they are not always correct readings.

Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,785 Posts
You didn't mention if it cranks. Any dash lights? Need more info here.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.
759 Posts
you have to start with the basics. Do you have fuel pressure? Do you hear the fuel pump run (for 2 seconds) with your ear to the open filler pipe when someone turns the key on. If so, you can probably eliminate the fuel system and concentrate on ignition.
:yeah: + I would try putting some gas in it just to be certain it's not empty. I wasted an entire Saturday once trying to fix my Caddy because the gauge said I had a half tank.:duh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well seeing how many of you have had problems with the gas guage it may be that because i had about 5 gallons in it and my range read about 70 some miles on it. and yes all my lights work, the car cranks but never turns all the way over...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well put some gas in it, waited... tried to start with no sucess... could it possibly be some fuse or something really lame? any help will do to not goto a shop.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Go back and reread post #2. We can't help you if you don't give us the information we ask for.

Well put some gas in it, waited
Waited for what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts