1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I had a few questions about my car....

1. I have been running the ground control lowering kit on my car for awhile now. And it seems that I am starting to rub alot more and on alot more level grounds. Is this due to the springs settling in? or have my struts gone bad?

It went from just rubbing every now and then to it rubs over EVERYTHING!! what could this be??

2. How can I roll my fenders? I know everyone has been using the fender rolling tool, but how can I get it to bolt up to a 6 lug car? I took my car over to a guy that is known for doing them around here and he couldnt do anything because it was six lug?? do they make an adapter??

3. MY CCWs are a pain in the ass to clean! You can spit on the wheel and it would spot and stain right away. I am tired of spending hours polishing them after each wash just to get them to look some what normal. What can I do to fix this problem? Can I polish them and then get them powder coated clear?? can I polish them and clear coat them??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
612 Posts
1. Tough to say. First thing to do would be to somehow determine where exactly the rubbing is occurring then make modifications from there. If you have a ground control kit, you can raise the ride height if necessary. Also what exactly is rubbing? Tires in your wheel wells? or the under carriage against speedbumps/road obstacles?

2. It can be done with a heat gun and a round blunt object such as a baseball bat or rubber mallet, but more often than not it results in cracked paint around your fender lips. Something I'd try to avoid personally. If you can talk a really good game you might be able to convince whoever it is that has the fender lip-roller to add holes/slots to the mounting flange of the rolling machine so that it will fit on your hubs. Also you may want to check some other local body-shops out.

3. I'm assuming your CCW's are bare unfinished aluminum? If so you could get them polished and then clear powder coated. I wouldnt bother spraying them with just clear coat paint though. Too delicate of a finish for me, but then again some people have had lots of luck simply rattle-canning their wheels. Another thing you might want to look into is a product called shineseal (www.shineseal.com). It used to be something called Zoops Seal which I've used before with good luck on some bare aluminum centerline wheels. It's a clear protective coating that chemically bonds to the wheels and stays intact until you polish it off with aluminum or metal polish. Depending on what environment you use your wheels in, the coating should last up to a year or so, at which point you can re polish your wheels then re apply the seal. Because I'm lazy. I'd take them to a wheel repair or refinishing shop and have them clear powdered or clear coated by some other durable means.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts