Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 2004 Cts White Diamond Every Option Car Has 9000 Miles On It - Bought It New In 2004. Back Then I Paid 38 Thousand For It.. Went For A trade Towards A sts They Offered Me 22 Thousand For A Trade In I said No Way....What Is Happen To Many Cts Out There....You Can BUy A new One Cheaper Then A Used One. OH WELL...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Was that the sticker, or did you
actually pay 38k for it? Were you going to pay sticker on a new STS? if so, they may give you more for your trade. It's all a game. The dealer might ask 28k for your car on their lot, and reduce
their price after negotiating with buyers. In my experience, you need to keep a car for four or five years before trading it in to maximize trade in value along with the age of the car. For example, you car may get close to the 22k trade in value if you trade in next year.

If you keep a car less than five years, lease it. Then you'll have nothing to worry about

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
Did you look up the trade-in value of your car at Kelley Blue Book or NADA Guides first? You can try using those numbers to negotiate a higher amount, or you can try a different Cadillac dealer, or you can try selling your care privately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
spaceman78 said:
I Have A 2004 Cts White Diamond Every Option Car Has 9000 Miles On It - Bought It New In 2004. Back Then I Paid 38 Thousand For It.. Went For A trade Towards A sts They Offered Me 22 Thousand For A Trade In I said No Way....What Is Happen To Many Cts Out There....You Can BUy A new One Cheaper Then A Used One. OH WELL...
I bought my 2003 CTS white diamond with 35k. brand new the car was $41,000 with all the options put on it. 2 years later, i bought it for $23,000 they were asking $27,500. but still I almost get it for half price 2 years later. Trade in is $19,000 , private party $23,125 , retail is $27,000

·
Registered
15 Posts
spaceman78 said:
Your trade in value should have been around $26,000

·
Registered
32 Posts
resale value blows! Thats why i picked up a used 2004. I paid 19,500. Car has 40k miles,lux package,and 3.6 motor. The sticker was 41k.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Magic_CTS said:
Your trade in value should have been around $26,000

Dealers dont use kbb, or nada. They have their own dealers book. It is made by Galves. It is much lower than the books you and i can buy.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If you have to buy new, you gotta keep it for a few years or you'll get screwed on trade-in. My mantra has been to get a car with low miles that's about 2 years old, for half the price of new, and keep it for at least 5 years. I got my CTS from my dealers 'used' car lot two summers ago, so it was certified with 100,000 mile warranty for $26,900. With a 2/02 build date, it only had 400 miles but was almost 2 years old at the time, and had never been sold before, since it was a GM 'program car'. I plan on keeping it a for a while, and perhaps handing it down to one of my kids when I'm ready to upgrade.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Its not wise to buy any car new!
Disagree, its a lose-lose situation no matter what. I buy new every 2 years, dont take to bad of a hit on the trade in value, and typically you don't have as many issues or items that need replacing...ie) brakes, tires, windshields and all that shit. If you got enough $$ then just buy it new, you will have the peace of mind that NOBODY bagged the shit out of your car before you.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sell your CTS as a private party as the miles are low and a fully loaded one should be easy to move at a higher price than the dealer trade-in.

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
Resale valves are down b/c GM offered GM pricing and now the red tag sale. Used car salesman are having a tough time. Why pay 35K for a used car when you can buy new for the same money.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Its not wise to buy any car new!
It's what you have to do if you want it appointed exactly like you want. I haven't bought a used car in over 30 years. I'm very specific how I want my cars.
I usually trade every 3 years but I really have a love affair with this CTS and will keep it longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm with Robert on this one. Gotta have it my way. I was so impressed with the 12 day turnaraound from the Lansing plant. If you really have time and patience to go looking for your needle in the used car haystack, go for it. I don't.

And if you aren't particular about the details of the car you're driving, GO BUY A TOYOTA. They're right next to the other household consumer appliences at the Mall!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
RobertCTS said:
It's what you have to do if you want it appointed exactly like you want. I haven't bought a used car in over 30 years. I'm very specific how I want my cars.
I usually trade every 3 years but I really have a love affair with this CTS and will keep it longer.
I know with a used car, you do make some trade offs on certain options or colors, BUT if you search long enough I guarantee you can find a car the color, options and miles your looking for at a good price. My point wasnt do not buy a car new, if you have the money thats great. But dont buy new then complain about the huge drop in resale value.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The CTS is the first car that I have leased and I will never own a car again. A bonus to the dealers jacking up the residual value on my lease is that it lowered my payment. My residual is $21K when my lease is up in 2007. My CTS will probably be worth $15k. I am just handing him the keys back and getting another new one. No need to worry what the car is worth. I got beat up over the years with resale and now I dont have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
05CTS said:
Resale valves are down b/c GM offered GM pricing and now the red tag sale. Used car salesman are having a tough time. Why pay 35K for a used car when you can buy new for the same money.
Exactly

Your trade in was always worth wholesales and little more. The dealers have a lot of markup on new vehicles and put that toward your trade-in so you think you are getting a lot for it. I don't care what deal you claim to have gotten, you did not screw the dealer. He made money off of you and thats the name of the game in the car business, buy low and sell high. I know one person who traded in his Ford F150 on a new Chevy. A month later someone he knew went and bought his old truck and paid $3g more then the gave him on trade. And he spent a lot of time hitting every truck dealer and this Chevy dealer gave him the best deal of all of them, Ford, GMC and Dodge and still made 3g over his trade-in allowance.

There is a local B-P-GMC small town dealer and he is always pushing GM Program cars (off-lease, rentals, GM exc etc) and he has several low mileage 2005 Buick LaSabre's he is advertising for 16,999. These cars have every option, less than 12,000 miles and sticker around 30g new. Who in the right mind would buy a new Buick and not consider saving over $10g. They also have 05 Impala's and others are similar prices. He is still making money at these prices, can you imagine what some other dealers are profiting on these cars?

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
I can't seem to keep a car for more than 2 years. Leasing is the way to go if you don't plan on keeping your car much past 50,000 miles / 3-4 years

It makes the most sense to me, especially since I like a new car very often. Lower monthly payments, assured residual value if in fact you want to keep the car. Never go out of factory warrenty.

The only problem is modifications. You have to be very subtle or have a very good relationship with your dealer. Plus you need to select the right amount of mileage for your lease or the charges can hit you in the end.

Leasing isn't right for everyone, but it's worth it IMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts