Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a new member, and am currently looking for a Jaguar S-Type, but because those are so hard to find I've decided to buy a CTS until I find my Jaguar.

I have researched and studied jags to a T, and now I'd like to do the same for the CTS, I need to extract every bit of information I can and learn all I can.

Please post the year+miles when purchased+miles now and any problems you had and a brief description of how the reliability is.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
were you looking at the 3.0 for the Jag? if so the CTS' 255hp is a 20hp bump up

i drove my aunt's 2006 S-type when it was new, but that was so long ago i cant remember how it handled/ accel/ breaking... but im 90% with CTS has more rear leg room (same with front leg room if i recall). i found the seats fairly supportive (probably about the same as the CTS).. i think the jag seems a bit more refined (gage cluser, door panels), but it has a definite 'ford feel' to it, and i know the CTS center console button layout/ refinement is nothing to brag home about, but the Jag's was poorly organized and the Sat radio look like it was just fitted in last minute and unfortunately, its just too low on the dash... i distinctly remember thinking the shifter pattern was unusual/ strange looking (automatic)

you already know all there is to know about the Jag, so i'll finish my comparison (which like i said it's been a while since i drove the S-type, so may not be the most accurate)
...but here are some of the features the CTS has that the Jag may or may not so you can get an idea of what you are getting

Exterior: Halogens head lights standard with HID (and head light washers) as an option
Heated and dimmed side mirrors with curb view (points down when car is in reverse for curb side/ parallel parking)
Aluminum hood
Regular unleaded gas
Dual exhaust
Aluminum rims (16"-18" with different styles/ finishes)

Interior:
2 preset memory seats (each key fob has '1' and '2' which auto adjust seat and radio channels and side mirrors per each key/ driver)
auto dim rear view mirror
programmable steering wheel controls (can program to change HVAC temps, radio, etc)
DIC- driver info center, show oil life, tran fluid life, outside temp, 2 trips, avg fuel, inst fuel usage, range, fuel used, etc... can program all sorts of personalized setting for the car
heated front seats
2006+ CTS has trip-tronic transmission/ sport mode
traction control and stabilitrak (T/C can be turned off through DIC or button in glove box)
OnStar
Auto down windows on all 4 windows, auto up on front two (push and hold to go down, push down futher and release, windows goes fully down/ fully up on their own)
Bose speakers and 6-disc cd changer XM radio(optional)
Automatic head lights (turn on depending on light level outside, aswell go on when windshield wipers are used)
Garage door opener on driver sun visor (has 3 programmable buttons for garage doors, front gate, etc..)
3 different suspension options FE1-standard FE2-sport FE3-load leveling (someone correct me if im wrong)
dual climate controls with auto defrost and auto fan
10 way power seats (8 way is standard)
tire pressure moniter
Sunroof

although i hate consumer reports, their website was helpful when distinguishing what was standard and what is included with each options package

my CTS is still fairly new to me, bought in October with 65000km, now at 72000km... no problems yet, and none were reported on the carfax

im in canada so defrost is a concern, and its one thing that bugs the hell out of me when im in one of my friends Toyota's and the windows are constantly fogged/ice over in the winter, and even if you dont have to scrap the windows outside, you get in and have to scrap the ice off them on the inside... i have not once had a problem with fogging in the CTS, it starts putting out warm air after 500m, and is hot after 1km.

one thing to remember when you go to look at a CTS is that they were a decent amount cheaper than the S-type new, so like i said, the S-type is more refined in certain areas

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were you looking at the 3.0 for the Jag? if so the CTS' 255hp is a 20hp bump up

i drove my aunt's 2006 S-type when it was new, but that was so long ago i cant remember how it handled/ accel/ breaking... but im 90% with CTS has more rear leg room (same with front leg room if i recall). i found the seats fairly supportive (probably about the same as the CTS).. i think the jag seems a bit more refined (gage cluser, door panels), but it has a definite 'ford feel' to it, and i know the CTS center console button layout/ refinement is nothing to brag home about, but the Jag's was poorly organized and the Sat radio look like it was just fitted in last minute and unfortunately, its just too low on the dash... i distinctly remember thinking the shifter pattern was unusual/ strange looking (automatic)

you already know all there is to know about the Jag, so i'll finish my comparison (which like i said it's been a while since i drove the S-type, so may not be the most accurate)
...but here are some of the features the CTS has that the Jag may or may not so you can get an idea of what you are getting

Exterior: Halogens head lights standard with HID (and head light washers) as an option
Heated and dimmed side mirrors with curb view (points down when car is in reverse for curb side/ parallel parking)
Aluminum hood
Regular unleaded gas
Dual exhaust
Aluminum rims (16"-18" with different styles/ finishes)

Interior:
2 preset memory seats (each key fob has '1' and '2' which auto adjust seat and radio channels and side mirrors per each key/ driver)
auto dim rear view mirror
programmable steering wheel controls (can program to change HVAC temps, radio, etc)
DIC- driver info center, show oil life, tran fluid life, outside temp, 2 trips, avg fuel, inst fuel usage, range, fuel used, etc... can program all sorts of personalized setting for the car
heated front seats
2006+ CTS has trip-tronic transmission/ sport mode
traction control and stabilitrak (T/C can be turned off through DIC or button in glove box)
OnStar
Auto down windows on all 4 windows, auto up on front two (push and hold to go down, push down futher and release, windows goes fully down/ fully up on their own)
Bose speakers and 6-disc cd changer XM radio(optional)
Automatic head lights (turn on depending on light level outside, aswell go on when windshield wipers are used)
Garage door opener on driver sun visor (has 3 programmable buttons for garage doors, front gate, etc..)
3 different suspension options FE1-standard FE2-sport FE3-load leveling (someone correct me if im wrong)
dual climate controls with auto defrost and auto fan
10 way power seats (8 way is standard)
tire pressure moniter
Sunroof

although i hate consumer reports, their website was helpful when distinguishing what was standard and what is included with each options package

my CTS is still fairly new to me, bought in October with 65000km, now at 72000km... no problems yet, and none were reported on the carfax

im in canada so defrost is a concern, and its one thing that bugs the hell out of me when im in one of my friends Toyota's and the windows are constantly fogged/ice over in the winter, and even if you dont have to scrap the windows outside, you get in and have to scrap the ice off them on the inside... i have not once had a problem with fogging in the CTS, it starts putting out warm air after 500m, and is hot after 1km.

one thing to remember when you go to look at a CTS is that they were a decent amount cheaper than the S-type new, so like i said, the S-type is more refined in certain areas
Hey Andrew, good advice.

Here's the thing, the S-type to me is hands down the best looking car on the road, no argument there. The reason I love the s-type is the looks, both exterior and even the interior (im a huge walnut wood fanatic).

Also, you can get a used s type for like 10,000 and people who see it will think your some bigshot millionaire who bought it for 100,000. That's just how jags are.

To me,the second best looking car is the CTS. That's the reason I'm looking to own CTS, the only thing I don't like about the CTS is the interior, it's so boring and dull, just plain old plastic...

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Hey Andrew, good advice.

Here's the thing, the S-type to me is hands down the best looking car on the road, no argument there. The reason I love the s-type is the looks, both exterior and even the interior (im a huge walnut wood fanatic).

Also, you can get a used s type for like 10,000 and people who see it will think your some bigshot millionaire who bought it for 100,000. That's just how jags are.

To me,the second best looking car is the CTS. That's the reason I'm looking to own CTS, the only thing I don't like about the CTS is the interior, it's so boring and dull, just plain old plastic...
I've got an 03 with about 110k miles. It's been a pretty reliable car and maintenance costs have been reasonable. Some of the complaints for CTS include:
- differntial whine. I've had this since the car was pretty new and the dealer said it was normal. Others have had it replaced, many had it return. A little annoying, but you get used to it. There have been cases where this has led to failure, but in general it does not seem to be as much a reliability issue as it is an annoyance. If buying used you can listen for it when crusing around 35-50mph.
- 3.2L engine (03-04) will require some fairly expensive maintenance at 100k to replace timing belt, water pump, etc.
- 3.6L engine has had some complaints of high oil consumption.
- crankshaft position sensor is a common problem (esp. on 3.2, but I think there have been cases with 3.6 as well) causing hard starting and stalling. Inexpensive fix.

I've taken a couple of the newer gen CTS' for a test drive and the interior is much nicer, but in the end I decided I still liked my 03 and could find no real good reason to spend the money on a new car (ok, what I actually did was go out and buy a used Saturn Sky Redline as my summer car and kept my CTS for the colder months since it's still a very nice car and not costing a lot to operate at this point). I always keep my cars a long time and I can say that at this age the CTS seems mores solid and in better shape than any other I've driven.

I have no experience with Jags, so can't offer any comparisons.

-GT

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
128 Posts
Purchased my car in late 03, brand new with only a few miles. It has 127,xxx miles now, and has never had a problem. All you have to do is your normal maintenance and it will perform perfect.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
the s type shares a lot of parts with the x-type... my gf has a x-type and yes it looks great, yes it drives great...but the damn thing has something wrong with it every other day... right now the heater is broken...again... the heater was just fixed. 4 weeks ago
in the past year the list of broken crap on the jag is :
passenger seat airbag sensor - still broken, itx a gell based weight pressure switch
sunroof motor/ pressure sensor - the sensor is built intot he motor so you have to replace the whole thing.
all speakers at once died
hid ignighter and ballast
rad hoses
overheating multiple times...(hoses, belts, waterpump and thermostat)
stuck pullys
tranny slipping
oil leaks
tranny fluid leaks
horrible smell from the A/C..not fixed
trim falling off,
rus in the door hindges
--------------probably a few other things...then just regular stuff like:
4 ebc greenstuff pads (have fun compressing the pistons in the calipers)
oil filter and air and cabin air filter.\car is going for a tranny flush tomorrow and im going to do the intake on seafoam on my truck.

if non of that scares you away,....let me tell you this car is babied, its a 1 owner certified vehicle.

my cts needed a tranny service this year....a line brew off ....

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
I've got an 04 w/ 60k and it's been very reliable.

The only things that have really happened was that once a fuel line was disconnected after i hit a big pothole going kinda fast ans another time my ECM fuse blew out. Also really crappy gas mileage.

Oh and i had to get the wiper motor replaced over the summer because the wipers wouldn't shut off. You can imagine how annoying that must be.

But yea, that's pretty much it.

I'm very happy with my car.

·
Registered
CTS
303 Posts
Having done a bit of work on my CTS and the wife's Honda, I can say hand on heart the CTS build quality is average. The Honda is way ahead in the quality of the parts and design that goes into the car TBH.

I still love my CTS though.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Having done a bit of work on my CTS and the wife's Honda, I can say hand on heart the CTS build quality is average. The Honda is way ahead in the quality of the parts and design that goes into the car TBH.

I still love my CTS though.
funny thing is everyone says hondas are built and imported...actually they are built in Alliston Ontario, about 1 hour north of Toronto. i know a few guys that worked there and built the cars, i was about to apply but never did...they paid great for student jobs, i think started at $22 a hour with a $1000 or 2000 6 month contract signing bonus.

as for the quality, i always felt honda has a poor build and design quality of interiour untill recent acuras (rsx and newer from 02), mechanically i cant complain, my civic ran for a full year and didnt need a single thing till i started messing with suspension, also ran it for a week or 2 with no oil at all....long story short the car was being sold and my friend didnt think i could do it...lol

change rad on honda civic.. 25min
change rad on cts... 8hrs but i took my time and did a few other things too...probably could have did it in 4hrs flat with a hoist and the tranny cooler lines removal tool.

i would still buy a cts over a honda even after owning both...most durable car ive owned is my 2002 jimmy...190,000km and running mint with under $300 in parts replaced..still driving it to this day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts