Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2009
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I would like to point out that I am a newbie to this forum and cars in general so any advice or suggestion are highly appreciated.

So I currently have a Cadillac cts 2009 3.6vl AWD with 90,000 miles. I bought this car in NJ at a dealer back in September of 2014. I haven't had it for a year yet and I'm experiencing
a lot of issues with this car. I've already replaced the rotors, pads, left lower control arm, and had the caliper slide pin repaired at a different shop.
I really love this car and just installed spoilers for about $600.

-Getting to the problem

I recently started experiencing these issues all at once. And it happened all of a sudden

-Door Lock/unlock cycle while driving
-Service Stabilitrak message
-Service traction control message
-Check Engine light on
-Lag between the pressure on pedal and the time it actually picks up speed / doesn't go above 50mph

I had taken it to a nearby shop and they were able to read this computer code U0073 -Control Module Communication Bus "A" off.

Finally I brought it back to the dealer, they also own a repair shop next door for a diagnostic. The Rep called me back and said that my car has
a lot of problems and approximately 30 error codes and that the harness i guess between the transmission and the engine had almost been destroyed.
I was quoted $900 to have this repaired because he has to take the transmission out etc.

-Questions
Is this price reasonable?
If so is the price negotiable considering I bought this car there having it less than 1 yr?

I would kindly welcome all advice, suggestions, or comments even criticism lol. Thank you all

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
It appears that your vehicle is well out of the original dealership/Cadillac warranty. Moved from Customer Care to the CTS forum.

I think that you need a second opinion from a GOOD local Mom&Pop shop. The guys here in CTS are good - listen up.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,145 Posts
Wow.

First, welcome to the board. Submariner409's suggestion of a Ma & Pa shop/Local Mechanic is a good one. Get that second opinion.

Armed with facts, have everything spelled out on paper in a time line with copies of receipts for backup. Yes, I would approach the selling dealer (was it a Caddy dealer?) and talk (calmly, business like) about the situation. Be polite, do not lose your cool, but stand your ground. With facts you can present a good case where they should either help pay for repairs or buy back your car. When you ask for help, first try for 100% reimbursement. If you don't ask for it you will never get it. As a compromise, I would settle for half of the money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Without the manual or schematics in front of me, I am not sure but I would give a good guess there is one single problem for EVERYTHING you are experiencing. In normal GM speak, a code of Uxxxxxx means there is a loss of communication between modules. In our cars this could be as simple as one module calling in to report data at the same time as another. Not uncommon in the Corvette world to have door modules take a lower priority status than say the ABS module. In your case, there seems to be a lot of driveability issues related to your problem. Has the car recently been serviced, say an oil change or transmission flush, that would have moved one of the covers under the car? Reason I ask is that you could have a corrosion issue to a ground wire or ground terminal that would cause that. The car is a NJ car and we have had some rough winters lately. I have seen road salt completely destroy ground connections on cars. Basically these are the wires that go from the electrical components in the car to the body or frame of the car. Those connections must be clean and free of corrosion for the computers to work properly. I find it hard to imagine you have a damaged harness, unless something a) physically damaged it like pinching it between the engine and the transmission during a major overhaul, b) the harness laid down on the hot exhaust (which there isn't any in the place they are saying, or c) possibly this is a 'shotgun' approach from the repair facility to cover their tails in trying to fix the car.

If I may suggest, see if you can find out the list of codes. That way you can figure out what modules or computers are being effected. Second I would get a copy online of the wiring schematics from the car and see if those computers have a common ground wire/point on the car. Third check those grounds to be sure they are clean and free of corrosion. Simply removing the bolts, sanding the connections with a fine sandpaper, reconnecting them and spray the clean connection with black spraypaint to keep out moisture may very well do the trick.

Just my .25 cents.

Cassidy

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,145 Posts
Steel wool would be an alternative to sandpaper. Use a dielectric spray on electrical connections.

Alldatadiy.com is a good place to start if you have to buy a subscription.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Did they show you damaged harness? What happened? I heard rats like cables.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did they show you damaged harness? What happened? I heard rats like cables.
They do indeed. If that's the case, there's little recourse with Cadillac.

Harnesses don't generally get damaged by themselves. Is there any evidence this car was wrecked?

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
...looks like there were some TSBs related to chafing harnesses that might be relevant here...

PIC-5238 Description: CADILLAC: ENGINE HARNESS ROUTING, VARIOUS ELECTRICAL ISSUES, VARIOUS DTCS. HARNESS RUB/CHAFE ON 3RD CAM COVER BOLT. HARNESS LIES ON 3RD BOLT AND WITH ENGINE ROLL, THE BOLT MAY CUT AND OR CHAFE CIRCUITS UNDERNEATH THE ABRASION TAPE WITH N

PIC-5056 Description: GENERAL MOTORS: VARIOUS ELECTRICAL CONCERNS (INSP HARNESS UNDER UBEC BRACKET). MAY EXPERIENCE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: WILL NOT CRANK OVER AND START; TRANSMISSION SHIFTS HARD; DOOR LOCKS CYCLE WHILE DRIVING. *PE UPDATED 3/15/

PIT-4730A Description: BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET/GMC/HUMMER/PONTIAC/SATURN: ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION FOR U0140 OR U0073. VEHICLE MAY EXHIBITS SOME SYMPTOM(S) AS DOOR LOCKS CYCLE WHILE DRIVING; INTERMITTENT NO START; SERVICE STABILITRAK DIC MESSAGE; SPEE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts