Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Brougham, 81 Fleetwood Coupe
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im looking for some advise to lower my 89 Brougham. Want kind of coil springs should I use? Im lookin for a 2'' drop and I will keep my original 235-75-15 tires on my original wire wheels rims. Thanks

89.jpg

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
You mean you're gonna lower the car and keep the original hubcaps on it? Because those aren't "wire wheel rims." They're just hubcaps. I really don't see why you'd want to lower a car and keep the original hubcaps on it. That's what we from the ghetto call "ghetto."

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
94-96 impala Springs will give you a little drop. Otherwise, aftermarket Springs for that impala will work also. You'll want to get some rear shocks to level the ride. I like the air shocks that you can run the fill valve to behind the liscence plate and fill yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know those are hubcaps on that picture. The wire wheels are on my other caddy right now. I'm not that ghetto :p

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
As far as I remember your stock tires must be either 215 70 or 215 70 15 not 235 75 15 .These must be 4x4 tires . Your car looks fine from the side profile though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
94-96 impala Springs will give you a little drop. Otherwise, aftermarket Springs for that impala will work also. You'll want to get some rear shocks to level the ride. I like the air shocks that you can run the fill valve to behind the liscence plate and fill yourself.
I was planning to put some air shocks yes. I was just wondering if the tires will still fit with the drop.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
csbuckin is exactly correct. Sputtering from 94 - 96 Impala will give you almost a 2" drop. My 91 was done this way. For some reason I think the shocks that were used were also speced for the Impala.

In doing that they were unable to retain the level ride.

You should know that it was also required to cut away part of the inner fenders and the ties still rub in right turns

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
I have a complete set of Hotchkis springs on my Roadmaster wagon that would give you a nice drop. I'll see if I can take them out in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
csbuckin is exactly correct. Sputtering from 94 - 96 Impala will give you almost a 2" drop. My 91 was done this way. For some reason I think the shocks that were used were also speced for the Impala.

In doing that they were unable to retain the level ride.

You should know that it was also required to cut away part of the inner fenders and the ties still rub in right turns
You had to cut your inner fenders to use impala springs? (First time I've heard of that)

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
Me too. What wheels and tires? You can get really low, with really wide wheels and tires and not have to cut anything.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission
334 Posts
IMO impalass springs are soft. If you go lower go with stronger springs. I'd go with front springs around 700 lbs/in, rears around 180-200 and airbags. As it was said, shocks need also to be chosen according to height.
and maybe the other guys can answer, don't they make lower spindles for the Impala that can be used on Caddys? I think these would allow you to still have some suspension travel left. Lastly you might want to change your suspension bumpstops with those from a ZQ8 equipped s10 pick ups.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood & 1993 Chevy C-1500
18 Posts
Me too. What wheels and tires? You can get really low, with really wide wheels and tires and not have to cut anything.
The wider your tires get the diameter decreases so the height drops as much as 2 inches depending on if you are at 70, 65 or 60 series. They fit well on a 15x8 rim.
75 series is what I run on my truck; I wonder how they would run under a FWB? They are Yokohamas and handle better than Goodyear or Pirelli. Quiet too.

----------

I plan on replacing the dead shock on my 93 and not using the auto level compressor; I rarely have passengers and don't tow or pack the trunk. I think the air shocks to be more Caddy than the less expensive replacement variety. I can always hook up a new compressor in the future, I may get one and shelf it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts