Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had put my 1986 cadillac deville sedan in the shop and when i took it out the mechanic the worked on my car told me that the brass battery post would break in the battery and i should get steel instead. now the current wiring setup i have for my car i have the standard wiring on the postive and two 0 guage wires on it and the negitve i have one including the standard negitive does anyone know where i can find steel post that fit the specs of the old battery post i have the link of the pic is below
http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISPT55309

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
i had put my 1986 cadillac deville sedan in the shop and when i took it out the mechanic the worked on my car told me that the brass battery post would break in the battery and i should get steel instead. http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISPT55309
You're mechanic was right. Metallurgically speaking, neither brass or copper can take the vibration inherent in automotive applications. That's why you see, for instance, steel brake lines with steel fittings rather than copper lines with brass fittings.

What you'll get - eventually - with a brass battery post is a lot of microfractures that may not even be noticable to the naked eye until one day you go to tighten it and it just snaps right off.

One solution to the lack of wiring space on the OEM side-post GM battery terminals, assuming you have space available on that car, is to use side-post-to-top-post adapters and then use "regular" battery terminals.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here the new post i was thinking about. let me know what you all think.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
If you are looking to buy one of those posts as in the pic, I bought one just like it an hour ago at a Kragen's for less than $2.00.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts