Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac forgoes a retro naming system for “-iq” suffixes

Grace Houghton 14 July 2020

Cadillac has finally explained the nomenclature that will replace its current alphanumeric designations. The short story? There is indeed a method to the madness, but that method won’t be the least bit retrospective. Beginning with the Lyriq, Cadillac’s electric crossover that debuts next month, all Cadillacs will bear names ending in -iq. You might have imagined that Cadillac simply trolled lists of Instagram-friendly baby names to settle on Lyriq, but the name represents the collective labors of much GM gray matter. GM Authority chatted with Cadillac’s head of global brand strategy to discover the reasoning. The crossover’s name alludes to Cadillac’s status as the most-mentioned brand in songs. That includes all brands, according to Dauchy, not just automotive ones. (Sorry, Lincoln.)

Okay, that’s fine, you may be thinking. Cadillac needed an edgy, hip name for its forward-looking electric vehicle, but why mandate the -iq suffix for all future models? Dauchy says a definite break from tradition was in order to signal Cadillac’s gradual switch from internal combustion to electric power. The nomenclature switch “signals that Cadillac is bringing a different type of vehicle to market, one that works in concert with man, nature, and machine.”

We’re wondering exactly how long this system can really last, but Cadillac assures us the next -iq model after the Lyriq is rolling toward reality: the Celestiq, Cadillac’s upcoming flagship sedan. “When you see [the Cadillac Celestiq], its size, presence and scale all connote the emotion associated with the name,” Dauchy says. If you’re having flashbacks to prior spelling-bee trauma, this is probably the part where you ask how to even pronounce Celestiq.

Cadillac needs to find and own its niche, but there will be Caddy fans out there with us who are sure to be disappointed that “Eldorado” or “Fleetwood Talisman” or “Brougham D’Elegance” aren’t getting resurrected. Maybe we’re just not smart enough to see the brilliance of the IQ system.

·
Registered
96 FWB
884 Posts
Yah, in related news:

And '31 pages' of songs referencing Cady as the most-mentioned brand of all:

Under the guise of, "All publicity is good publicity", I imagine the foremost motive will end getting everyone going Hatfield and McCoy over whether to pronounce the -iq as "eek" or "ick".

As long as they bunch all the electrics under an easily segregated naming convention then I can focus on the gassers that will still be possible (and likely end up legally allowed) to work on.

Reactions: tinman

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree. These idiots continue to destroy the marque.

Reactions: eddie046

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
Cadillac forgoes a retro naming system for “-iq” suffixes

Grace Houghton 14 July 2020

Cadillac has finally explained the nomenclature that will replace its current alphanumeric designations. The short story? There is indeed a method to the madness, but that method won’t be the least bit retrospective. Beginning with the Lyriq, Cadillac’s electric crossover that debuts next month, all Cadillacs will bear names ending in -iq. You might have imagined that Cadillac simply trolled lists of Instagram-friendly baby names to settle on Lyriq, but the name represents the collective labors of much GM gray matter. GM Authority chatted with Cadillac’s head of global brand strategy to discover the reasoning. The crossover’s name alludes to Cadillac’s status as the most-mentioned brand in songs. That includes all brands, according to Dauchy, not just automotive ones. (Sorry, Lincoln.)

Okay, that’s fine, you may be thinking. Cadillac needed an edgy, hip name for its forward-looking electric vehicle, but why mandate the -iq suffix for all future models? Dauchy says a definite break from tradition was in order to signal Cadillac’s gradual switch from internal combustion to electric power. The nomenclature switch “signals that Cadillac is bringing a different type of vehicle to market, one that works in concert with man, nature, and machine.”

We’re wondering exactly how long this system can really last, but Cadillac assures us the next -iq model after the Lyriq is rolling toward reality: the Celestiq, Cadillac’s upcoming flagship sedan. “When you see [the Cadillac Celestiq], its size, presence and scale all connote the emotion associated with the name,” Dauchy says. If you’re having flashbacks to prior spelling-bee trauma, this is probably the part where you ask how to even pronounce Celestiq.

Cadillac needs to find and own its niche, but there will be Caddy fans out there with us who are sure to be disappointed that “Eldorado” or “Fleetwood Talisman” or “Brougham D’Elegance” aren’t getting resurrected. Maybe we’re just not smart enough to see the brilliance of the IQ system.
======================
Cadillac needs to find and own its niche,
Cadillac USED to be in a class of it's own - that image is LONG dead and buried -

but there will be Caddy fans out there with us who are sure to be disappointed
that “Eldorado” or “Fleetwood Talisman” or “Brougham D’Elegance” aren’t getting resurrected.

it would be BLASPHEMY if they re-used ANY of those names - or Deville - or Seville -
since they simply don't produce a vehicle WORTHY of ANY of those classic monikers -

Maybe we’re just not smart enough to see the brilliance of the IQ system.
here is a good name for their EV - the Eurolac Electroshyt IQ -

or the AOC-iq - after their obvious HERO -

I'm GLAD I'm 69 years old with THREE - absolutely beautiful DHS model Devilles -
they should last me another 25 or 30 years -

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
Under the guise of, "All publicity is good publicity", I imagine the foremost motive will end getting everyone going Hatfield and McCoy over whether to pronounce the -iq as "eek" or "ick".
Hey, they survived Seedy Sex.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
770 Posts
So eventually we're going to see a Cadillac Escaliq instead of an Escalade?

I remember the days when a company tried to keep its proud names as long as possible. The longer the existence, the greater the claim to higher numbers of a model sold. Not anymore. "Ooops? We reached 5 years on that model? Kill it. Time for new." I especially notice that with Nissan and Kia lately it seems. A model never lasts more than a few years before being replaced with a brand new model name (even though it's just an update to an existing model, often).

Change for the sake of change. The stupid, it burns.

Max

·
Registered
14,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who would ever want a Coupe Deville?

·
Registered
14,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, hell, yeah!

·
Registered
2012 CTS Premium AWD Coupe
16 Posts
======================
Cadillac needs to find and own its niche,
Cadillac USED to be in a class of it's own - that image is LONG dead and buried -

but there will be Caddy fans out there with us who are sure to be disappointed
that “Eldorado” or “Fleetwood Talisman” or “Brougham D’Elegance” aren’t getting resurrected.

it would be BLASPHEMY if they re-used ANY of those names - or Deville - or Seville -
since they simply don't produce a vehicle WORTHY of ANY of those classic monikers -

Maybe we’re just not smart enough to see the brilliance of the IQ system.
here is a good name for their EV - the Eurolac Electroshyt IQ -

or the AOC-iq - after their obvious HERO -

I'm GLAD I'm 69 years old with THREE - absolutely beautiful DHS model Devilles -
they should last me another 25 or 30 years -
My 2012 CTS Coupe which I love is suddenly seeming an instant classic! I know it is future one!

·
Registered
14,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the CTS Wagons.

Reactions: eddie046

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,280 Posts
Oh do I keep mine. Actually there is nothing else on both the US and European markets I would have right now.

But that Coupe Deville is nice. Similar vehicle in mint condition goes for up to 150 grands over here. I think more and more often if I could keep a classic going for dd (2x5 miles plus grocery trips pr day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
737 Posts
Imagine that Coupe with disc brakes, EFI, modern tranny and sound system, modern cabin electronics, heated seats and wheel and sway bars that work. They can include that much missed floor dimmer switch! I’d buy one immediately.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
The all new cadillacs:

low-iq
Medium-iq
And high-iq!

pick your level

what they really need to do is produce the damn elmiraj and ceil and the escala withNO COMPROMISES

come on GM you can do iiiit (said in Rob Schnider accent from big daddy)!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Imagine that Coupe with disc brakes, EFI, modern tranny and sound system, modern cabin electronics, heated seats and wheel and sway bars that work. They can include that much missed floor dimmer switch! I’d buy one immediately.
and an LSA pushing 8 or 9 hundred ponies and supporting widened stock appearing wheels =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts