Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Coupe de ville 1969
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started in last summer when I was driving in the highway about 50-60mph. Suddenly right rear brake locked up and the whole car started to shake. I started to brake and the brake pedal shook heavily. I stopped, and drove the car to my home.

When I got safely to home, the right rear drum was glowing hot. AFter two hours, the drum was still hot. The drum was ruined (brake pedal shook when I pressed it) and I replaced the drum.

Now the car shakes when I drive 50-60mph, and every time I brake, the car will twitch and shake BUT the brake pedal doesn't twitch any more. When I push the parking brake, the car will twitch more and the parking brake pedal shakes.

Has anyone this kind of problems?

Could the drive axle be warped (right word?) or "bended"?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
You need much more than a drum. You probably need wheel cylinders, shoes and brake hardware, (springs, hold downs etc) you need to have both rear drums inspected and either replaced or re surfaced. Shoes as well! Unsafe to drive!!!! The drum didn't fail, the brakes did, damaging the drum.

·
Registered
Coupe de ville 1969
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I immeatedly inspected both sides and nothing seemed dramatically wrong. There were lots of dust and other dirt inside both drums and I cleaned them. Only problem was small cracks on brake shoe's friction surface.

I have to replace those brake shoes, brake cylinders (both side were leaking a little) and other brake stuff like springs etc.

Front brakes seemed (and felt) pretty bad too. At least I have to replace all gaskets in brake cylinder and I need a new brake pistons too. Does the metal clip at the back of the brake pads have some effect in braking? Or is it there only because it is easier to fit to the brake piston?

Other brake pad was without that metal clip, I have pretty much friction surfaces left in brake pads (and I have good old asbestos brake pads) and I'm not going to change them If that metal clip doesn't affect anything.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
My bet is that your rear axle is bent. Maybe lift the rear wheels off the ground, throw it in gear and see if the wheel turns evenly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts