Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm leaving my mom's place around 9:30pm tonight and looking forward to the 45 minute trip back to my place on the other side of town. Its a fun drive when you aren't pressed for time, lots of curvy back roads.

About two blocks from my parent's house a rabbit decides to commit suicide by running full sprint out in front of my car. I barely saw him out of the right corner of my eye, didn't have time to react. All I had time to do was think AWESOME! then it was THUMP! I was about 80% sure it was a rabbit, but it happened so quick I thought it might have been a small cat. So I turned around, and it was a huge jackrabbit splayed out in the middle of the road, hit him with the left front tire.

About 40 minutes later and I'm on a curvy country road near my place. I see a possum on the shoulder of the road about to cross. I HATE possums with a passion, disgusting, ugly, mean ass, disease carrying vermon. So I swerved a bit to the right and ran his ass over.

I had to turn around and look, how often do you score two kills in one night? To my suprise he was waddling in the middle of the road in a dazed and confused state.

I had stopped, then our eyes met. He saw the murderous rage in my eyes and made a valiant run for the side of the road. He should've gone left instead of right in front of my car, the warrior missteps. The last thing he hears is my motor revving, tires squealing, and the crushing of his skull.

I had to turn around again to get home, the carnage was pretty intense. I'm worried now, since the possum lived for about a minute before I ran him over the second time. He had plenty of time to yell for Bambi and all of his other deer friends. Karma is now in the animal kingdom's favor.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Have fun cleaning the blood from your wheelwells...

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I hate possums too but I do not aim for them. I pass through a wooded area on my way home from work and frequently swerve to avoid smaller creatures of the night.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
jesus christ, no animal is safe in Nashville....

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Uh........okay?

*backs slowly out of the room*

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but I try to *avoid* animals in the road.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did I mention how much I hate possums? I was camping one time in boy scouts, about 11 years old when a possum came into our camp while we were asleep. Son of a bitch came right outside my tent and woke me up. Couldn't scare it off, it kept hissing at me and tried to bite me.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
I hate cats, but I don't intentionally run over them. I gotta make sure to let my dogs in before I go to bed tonight with a killer like you on the loose.:D

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
I'm with Chad. I try to avoid animals on the road when possible.

When I hit the beach a while ago, I gained a new respect for ABS. A dog ran in front of my car, I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid hitting it. I rarely ever pull any emergency maneuvers, and just was thinking to myself how bad that scenario could have ended (for the dog, that is).

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd never intentinally run over somebody's pet, but I'd never risk putting my car in the ditch to avoid something. I'd rather hit a deer than swerve and go into the ditch.

I just thought it was odd and funny that I had two kills in one night. It had been a couple of years since I hit a bird in my Camaro at 70mph, with the t-tops off. Sucker came out of nowhere and hit the windshield, and I did crap myself that time.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Wow nice man, that possums a pretty small target, great work. As for the rabbit, I'm surprised it just ran at your car. Dunno if I'd hit a deer, I've seen those things right of 3/4 ton trucks. But when I get mine, that's what I'll have a bull bar for :D

I'm with Chad. I try to avoid animals on the road when possible.

When I hit the beach a while ago, I gained a new respect for ABS. A dog ran in front of my car, I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid hitting it. I rarely ever pull any emergency maneuvers, and just was thinking to myself how bad that scenario could have ended (for the dog, that is).
Yeah, one time when my dad was driving our truck he ran over a dog on the highway. There was some stupid kids on the side of the road playing with their dog in the middle of nowhere. So he thought, the truck or a dog, and decided not to attempt to swerve to avoid it at highway speed. Well, he smoked the dog and as he explained the truck went "ba boomp, ba boomp" and the dog was toast. He then apologized, gave the kids a ride into town, and gave them $20 lol!

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I would have felt bad about the rabbit, but no remorse for the possum. I agree that they are vermin and serve no purpose. I try to avoid hitting them though. I don't feel bad about killing them, I just hate the bump and sound that goes through the car. Haven't hit anything in the Caddy since I've had it. I think the last thing I ran over was actually a possum in my 98 Camaro. Felt like a boulder in that thing.

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
Awesome thread, Aaron.

I tend to avoid pets and larger animals. Now, small varmints are going to DIE, usually because they lack enough sense to stay back and because they only seem to run when they are too close for me to swerve.

I hit a fox in a similar situation last November in south Georgia. He comes out about ten feet in front of me and gets his back half crushed by my front left tire. I turn around to see if he's okay, and can clearly see that he won't make it. He's growling in pain. So, one 9mm round to the head later, he's out of his misery.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Animals are like my teachers. They've learned to stay out of my way. :lol:

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
I'd never intentinally run over somebody's pet, but I'd never risk putting my car in the ditch to avoid something. I'd rather hit a deer than swerve and go into the ditch.

I just thought it was odd and funny that I had two kills in one night. It had been a couple of years since I hit a bird in my Camaro at 70mph, with the t-tops off. Sucker came out of nowhere and hit the windshield, and I did crap myself that time.
What was a bird doing in your camaro?. (groucho marx).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.