Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera Soon CTS
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just bought a 2.8 vvt cts engine for my catera from the scrap yard came out to about 1500$ with the tranny but now im not sure if the engine will fit in the 97 cat anyone know anything about it im gonna let my mechanic look into it (this guy put a jaguar engine in a mercedes) so lets hope he can work his magic on this one too

Drive shaft will i need to use catera or Cts drive shaft

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
ariza034 said:
i just bought a 2.8 vvt cts engine for my catera from the scrap yard came out to about 1500$ with the tranny but now im not sure if the engine will fit in the 97 cat anyone know anything about it im gonna let my mechanic look into it (this guy put a jaguar engine in a mercedes) so lets hope he can work his magic on this one too

Drive shaft will i need to use catera or Cts drive shaft

Uhh you're going to need to change every bit of engine/transmission related electronics on that car to what the CTS uses... not to mention different motor and transmission mounts, probably shifter linkage, and basically all the powertrain. What led you to buying a CTS motor and transmission? They wont "transplant" without major major modifications and basically... you're doing something no one else has done.

You might as well go return the engine and trans now.. and save yourself a lot of hassle and a lot of money for something that can be done easier. Unless this is some sort of project...?

:bighead: :eek:

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera Soon CTS
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only reason i bought the daim package it was cheep my catera engine is mint condition i need a fuel pump on it and sometimes my tranny skips:mad: o just wanted to get it over with a fix it up and start modin it

·
Registered
2001 Catera Y57XE
203 Posts
For the amount of work involved in this custom install a LS1/2/6 v8 motor would have been a better buy.
Or you could try to exchange your motor for a 3.2L CTS motor, there would be less work involved to install that in place of the 3.0.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The 2.8/3.6 V6 engine family are a completely different from the 3.0/3.2 that came in the Catera a early CTS.

I doubt that the 2.8 would even fit as it is a 60 degree V angle as opposed to our very narrow 54 degree V angle; that compunded with the fact that the Catera has a big steering box located directly next to the cylinder head makes it even tighter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
by the way if you do or know any one that has installed the 3.2 in the catera you must post pics for all the na sayers

·
Registered
2001 catera sport...w/ some minor customizations
255 Posts
oh...i'm a believer now...knowing that our euro-brothers could get 'em from the factory w/ the 3.2 is proof enough!

although, some pics of a modification (vs. factory installed) would indeed be a treat.

·
Registered
2001 Catera Y57XE
203 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts