Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally gave up and went to the dealer to get my 1988 Seville STS checked out.

It hasn't been able to pass smog after about 600 dollars in repair costs.
I did the regular tune up and what not. Anyways, the car is failing with NO emissions (tremendously high) and when put a load on, the car pings tremendously!

Therefore the problem with the NOX emissions. Anyways, I know it wasn't anything to expensive like the Catalytic converter, so I took it into the dealer to get it diagnosed anyways.

They call me back and said that the car will pass smog if they change the throttle body. That part alone costs 600 dollars!

Since when did the throttle body have anything to do with the car pinging?

I would have understood if they said, fuel injection dirty or malfunctioning, but they literally told me throttle body.

I work on my 2000 civic quite extensively. I even do my own tuning and modifications on it, so I feel that I am quite adept at car lingo and how a normal fuel injection vehicle works.

Can someone please connect how the throttle body is causing the car to ping from 1500 to 2000 rpm with load and quick acceleration?

Help! Please, otherwise I have to trash this car :(

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You certainly wouldnt need a new throttle body, at worst you would have to clean it.... All it is a hunk of metal and a spring loaded flap.. Not much to fail there! :)

NOx emissions are usually due to EGR not working right.... Clean the EGR valve and passages...... The pinging could be due to carbon buildup... Get some gm TOP ENGINE CLENAER in the liquid and dump it down the brake booster hose..... That should help the pinging....

What all does a FULL TUNEUP include.... Plugs, wires, and all filters???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
elwesso