Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday, December 17, 2003

The Detroit News: Car and Truck of the Year

Caddy XLR, Ford F-150 best of '04

By Anita and Paul Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

The 2004 Detroit News Car and Truck of the Year are a celebration of Detroit iron from storied brands marking centennial years.

The top car is the 2004 Cadillac XLR, a sexy, edgy two-passenger coupe/convertible that underscores the rebirth of the legendary luxury brand.

Best truck honors go to the redesigned 2004 Ford F-150 pickup, which continues to stand as the benchmark in the full-size pickup market and raises the bar even higher in terms of interior amenities and quality.

If you think the nod to Cadillac and Ford is merely local boosterism, consider this: Of our 10 runners-up, five were Japanese products and three came from Europe.

Toyota Motor Co.p. had a particularly impressive year, with four of its products making our list of finalists, including the 2004 Toyota Prius hybrid gas-electric sedan and the Scion xB hatchback.

In the face of stiff competition, our hats are off to the hometown teams.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0312/17/a01-11508.htm

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Five were Japanese and 3 were European which makes it even more biased. if I had to do a Car and Truck of the year my picks would be as follow's...

Truck: Nissan Titan
Car: Four way tie with Mustang Cobra, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru WRX STi, and Dodge SRT-4

The reason I chose these four cars is because IMO those cars are setting a new standard for the bang for the buck. If you want a car with similar performance numbers you need to spend an extra $30k to get a Vette. The reason why i chose the Titan as truck of the year was because of what it brings to the field. For Nissan first attempt in the US at an actual full sized pickup this is one hell of a leap. The interior is top notch *only being outdine against the F-150 but that doesn't have DVD navigation like the Nissan does* one of the biggest engine's in its class, and a 9700 lbs towing capacity. And to top it off its one of the fastest pickup's on the road *only one's outperforming it are the HD Edition F-150 and the Lightning*

·
Registered
586 Posts
Blackout said:
Five were Japanese and 3 were European which makes it even more biased. if I had to do a Car and Truck of the year my picks would be as follow's...

Truck: Nissan Titan
Car: Four way tie with Mustang Cobra, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru WRX STi, and Dodge SRT-4

The reason I chose these four cars is because IMO those cars are setting a new standard for the bang for the buck. If you want a car with similar performance numbers you need to spend an extra $30k to get a Vette. The reason why i chose the Titan as truck of the year was because of what it brings to the field. For Nissan first attempt in the US at an actual full sized pickup this is one hell of a leap. The interior is top notch *only being outdine against the F-150 but that doesn't have DVD navigation like the Nissan does* one of the biggest engine's in its class, and a 9700 lbs towing capacity. And to top it off its one of the fastest pickup's on the road *only one's outperforming it are the HD Edition F-150 and the Lightning*
1. car of the year isnt about performance numbers. they are aobut efinement and quality of build. thats why the XLR won and not the cobra, etc.

2. the titan is a nice truck. but its still not as good ad the F-150 that outperforms it.... btw, the F-150 has the 9700 lb towing capacity, the titan is only 9500 lbs. the F-150 also has the quietest interior and the most interior options... you see one in person yet and it in it? the interior is amazing. as for DVD navigation, a good driver doesnt need it. give me a map and the compas in my mirror and i wont get lost. The f-150 isnt made to be a city cruiser like an escalade, it is a TRUCK fisrt and formost. there ar eno maps of the roads where many of them will go. Oh, and the f-150 also handles better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
navigation in a T R U C K ?????? whats next, independant suspension???

i saw a XLR in at the local cadillac dealership, never got to see the inside (wish i would have) but this car looked good in the pictures, real good. pictures don't do this car any justice, personally i think for it to be 75k, it should have just a little more power. i know it already beats its competion in power though, maybe a XLR v series??? sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

i also took a look at a black on black CTS, the outside is starting to grow on me, with the 3.6vvt its definatly a good performer, and the interior...much nicer than i thought it would be, looks 3x's better than in the pics.

·
Registered
377 Posts
about the cobra, didn't the new style come out in 03? i thought only new models get the car of the year award, seems that way (and should be)

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
I thought they came out this year? But if not oh well my bad. I was watching Motor Trend TV the other night and they named the Toyota Prius as their car of the year

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hollywood saw the XLR at the dealer by his school. It is without a shadow of a doubt the "beautifulest" car around right now. I saw inside. It was so lovely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts