Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,344 Posts
Nice. My wife thinks I'm silly when I'm disappointed to make a green light (vs. a red light).

We were on the Interstate the other day and this 525 was flanking us...really annoying. On a straight section, I tipped the throttle enough to unlock the converter and he heard the engine rev and he guns it. So I put it down and it downshifted into 2nd and jumped up to 90 in about 5 seconds. His 2.5 liters of 6 cylinder had nothing on me. Obviously a 540 would have been a different story...but it shows you just how much people DON'T know what a Northstar will do. :)

· Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,344 Posts
AirJigga25 said:
Jason - could you further explain being on the interstate and how I would go about "unlocking the converter", also, so you're saying you put it in second gear instead of drive on the highway?

I live on a steep hill and put it in 3rd going up my hill all the time which is fun...did you do the same thing.

How do you like you 97 SLS, i have the same one but black
The torque converter is locked when you're in 3rd or 4th and at a steady cruise speed. You'll notice this when the pedal feels "mushy" and the car doesn't have quite the response as before. If you poke the throttle quickly, the computer thinks you need more power to pass or climb a hill and will unlock the converter to allow the engine to speed up. I poked the throttle to step up the engine and the other guy heard me do that.

When he nailed it, I did too and it downshifted into 2nd gear and took off (I still had it in Drive, it just downshifted because of the throttle position).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.